Clunking noise from rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What's your suggestion for replacement? I replaced mine with the moog part.

Back a few years ago there was a backorder on Mopar tri-links or at least no one could find any in my area.
Tried 3 different ones and the longest lasting one out of those 3, lasted a few days less than 3 months , when the MOPAR came in , no more problems
I do tend to "test them out " on a regular basis but still only ones that last for me is the MOPAR
Course been running the JBA bolt on since we came up with it

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your suggestion for replacement? I replaced mine with the moog part.

Moog only has the tri-link as part of their R-series though, which is their cheap crappy "value" line.

I replaced mine with a Mevotech Supreme one a year ago. It has about 25k on it now, no issues whatsoever. I don't do any real off-roading though.

Phil2020

Reaction score
Well hey, guess what? This was the problem. It turns out the shock I swapped on had the same problem. Which makes me an idiot.

But the shock was replaced and everything is back to buttery smooth Libby driving.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi Ventsan,

Was it the shock on the rear of your Jeep or was it the Muffler hanger that broke away from it's mount?
I have the same problem, brand new Bilstein shocks 6 months old (2,000miles), swapped the old ones out for them and still have the clunking, it sure is hard to find what it is without driving the Jeep.
But it is definitely coming from the rear!
Can you please clarify?

Last edited:

Phil2020

Reaction score
"Was it the shock on the rear of your Jeep or was it the Muffler hanger that broke away from it's mount?
I have the same problem, brand new Bilstein shocks 6 months old (2,000miles), swapped the old ones out for them and still have the clunking, it sure is hard to find what it is without driving the Jeep."

Hi V,
Are you still around?
Don't wanna be annoying, but just needing a little experienced help as this clunking is driving me nutso_O

Thanks a Million,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"Was it the shock on the rear of your Jeep or was it the Muffler hanger that broke away from it's mount?
I have the same problem, brand new Bilstein shocks 6 months old (2,000miles), swapped the old ones out for them and still have the clunking, it sure is hard to find what it is without driving the Jeep."

Hi V,
Are you still around?
Don't wanna be annoying, but just needing a little experienced help as this clunking is driving me nutso_O

Thanks a Million,
Check the tightness of the upper bolt on the shocks for one thing

Phil2020

Reaction score
@ tommudd,
Thnx TM,
Was thinking of swapping them over, (right to left)/(left to right).
Am I correct in saying that there are 2 kinds of bolts on them, one set is Black and the other set is silver?
I was also going to replace the 2 silver bolts with Home Depot's with an m12- 1.75 x 75 mm bolt (the ones with the taper in it) and replace then both. If I remember right, blacks on top, new silver bolts on bottom.

Phil2020

Reaction score
This noise was also on my 03 found it to be the rear a arm that goes side to side and bolts to the axle. Bought a brand new one off eBay 64 buck's installed it good to go.
HiMuddedprairie,

What do you mean by "Rear a arm" can't find that in the service manual.
Can you please clarify?

Clunking at rear of 2002 Jeep:
1) Changed Shocks - DONE
2) Changed Springs - DONE
3) Recently installed new muffler, (no hanger problems) - DONE

>>> Still got the f(*&%g clunking <<<

Latest posts

Members online