clunk ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
It has been probably been asked before .... But iam new so go easy on me please , i have a 04 liberty just put in the BDS lift every thing went fine looks good ....but when driving it if i hit a good dip or bump i hear this metal on metal sound or a good clunk ?? is somthing hitting coil spring to the control arms ?? i need help !! i can not see any visable wear or contact of parts i followed the instructions to a T ........

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been probably been asked before .... But iam new so go easy on me please , i have a 04 liberty just put in the BDS lift every thing went fine looks good ....but when driving it if i hit a good dip or bump i hear this metal on metal sound or a good clunk ?? is somthing hitting coil spring to the control arms ?? i need help !! i can not see any visable wear or contact of parts i followed the instructions to a T ........
It's most likely the upper ball joint/steering knuckle hitting the coil spring,common on many lifts.

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
It's most likely the upper ball joint/steering knuckle hitting the coil spring,common on many lifts.

I think i have all kinds of clearance around the control arms it feels like the strut is bottoming out but that is all most impossable

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go around with a torque wrench and check to make sure everything you might have loosened up is tight - ball joints, swaybar links and bolts, clevis bolts, strut mount bolts. Good chance that something is just a bit loose and shifting against another part. Just ask most anyone who's installed their own lift and they'll say 'Been there, done that'...

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
Most likely its your sway bars. happened to me.

Sway bars ?? doing what loose or hitting something i checked all the bolts i touched and some i didn't they are all tight !! iam just about reasdy to take the lift out and throw it in the garbage.....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sway bars ?? doing what loose or hitting something i checked all the bolts i touched and some i didn't they are all tight !! iam just about reasdy to take the lift out and throw it in the garbage.....
Since all the bolts are tight,and you got clearence a around the a-arm/coil(are you sure with the tire at full stuff and full droop?),then your struts may be bottoming out before the a-arm is hitting the bumpstop.Did you change the OEM bumpstop in the front? You may need to do that for those spacer lifts.

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
Since all the bolts are tight,and you got clearence a around the a-arm/coil(are you sure with the tire at full stuff and full droop?),then your struts may be bottoming out before the a-arm is hitting the bumpstop.Did you change the OEM bumpstop in the front? You may need to do that for those spacer lifts.

First of all i really do appreciate the help .... I have a lift that invovles changing the coils ...all i did is copressed the assembly and swapped out the coiles and replaced the upper strut mounts and reasembled the assembly and put it back in the vechile ..i did not change the shock or touched any thing else i followed the instructions to a T.. This is why i can not figure it out iam stummped

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all i really do appreciate the help .... I have a lift that invovles changing the coils ...all i did is copressed the assembly and swapped out the coiles and replaced the upper strut mounts and reasembled the assembly and put it back in the vechile ..i did not change the shock or touched any thing else i followed the instructions to a T.. This is why i can not figure it out iam stummped
Did you properly torque the top strut nut?(the one that you will have to disasseble the lift to get to).You should have had at least 3/8" of threads showing(that actual threads not to include the "nut" on the end of the strut shaft).

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
Yup that is tight to i have checked every thing and iam telling you i think this lift is garbage i will have to take it out i think !!

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup that is tight to i have checked every thing and iam telling you i think this lift is garbage i will have to take it out i think !!

Did you actually use a Torque Wrench to tighten everything to specs? Otherwise, what you're calling tight may not be.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a 04 Liberty along with the BDS lift. I have ran it for nearly 2 years. I had my local 4x4 shop install the lift but within the first year I ended up installing new front struts and rear shocks (Rancho). The noise you are facing could very well be from a couple things.

A.) I forgot to tighten my sway bar bolts. Everytime I hit a bump or turned the Jeep it would be a nasty clank, clank sound. I ran through the bolts and found that I could easily turn the sway bar bolts.... wooops!! :)

B.) My upper A-arm was making contact with the coil. You could try and pad the coil side facing the A-arm. I ended up buying Al's Upper A-arms and it removed all contact issues.

C.) Struts are blown. Within the first year my front struts blew. It was a nasty bashing noise every time I went over a bump. I replaced the front struts with Rancho struts and the ride difference was amazing. I also replaced the rear shocks with Rancho's.

I have not had any noise issues after the these upgrades. I do stuff 265/70/16's under the wheel wells which contributed to some rubbing noises. A pinch weld modification and fog light door modification and the noise is gone. However, I can't do major off road cause any stuffing of the tires may not be good for the fenders! LOL. I plan to get the FrankenLift in the next year or so.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 Liberty along with the BDS lift. I have ran it for nearly 2 years. I had my local 4x4 shop install the lift but within the first year I ended up installing new front struts and rear shocks (Rancho). The noise you are facing could very well be from a couple things.

A.) I forgot to tighten my sway bar bolts. Everytime I hit a bump or turned the Jeep it would be a nasty clank, clank sound. I ran through the bolts and found that I could easily turn the sway bar bolts.... wooops!! :)

B.) My upper A-arm was making contact with the coil. You could try and pad the coil side facing the A-arm. I ended up buying Al's Upper A-arms and it removed all contact issues.

C.) Struts are blown. Within the first year my front struts blew. It was a nasty bashing noise every time I went over a bump. I replaced the front struts with Rancho struts and the ride difference was amazing. I also replaced the rear shocks with Rancho's.

I have not had any noise issues after the these upgrades. I do stuff 265/70/16's under the wheel wells which contributed to some rubbing noises. A pinch weld modification and fog light door modification and the noise is gone. However, I can't do major off road cause any stuffing of the tires may not be good for the fenders! LOL. I plan to get the FrankenLift in the next year or so.
Everthing I said,he just doesn't listen.

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
hey now ....i do listen iam taking every bit of this and using it .. once again i will go over the whole truck and see if i missed something ! also does the gap between the upper arm and the coil go small or greater from droop to stuff i think i might have a promblem in that area

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
There should be a larger distance between the upper arm and coil as your stuff your tires.
well iam stumped i have done all of the above iam so pissed right now it looks really good but i might have to take it out ... well i just got a phone call is it possable when at full stuff the coils compress enought they are hitting one on top of the other almost sqishing them like a full compress ??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well iam stumped i have done all of the above iam so pissed right now it looks really good but i might have to take it out ... well i just got a phone call is it possable when at full stuff the coils compress enought they are hitting one on top of the other almost sqishing them like a full compress ??
Yep,it's called spring bind and can cause some nice noises.Might be time for some new coils.One of the guy's I wheel with in CO has a daystar spacer lift and his stock springs are shot after 3 yaers of use,you can't even get a finger between his coils they are so worn out.

Muddy Kj

Reaction score
Yep,it's called spring bind and can cause some nice noises.Might be time for some new coils.One of the guy's I wheel with in CO has a daystar spacer lift and his stock springs are shot after 3 yaers of use,you can't even get a finger between his coils they are so worn out.

time for new springs they are !! i just got the kit and put it in what kind of space are we talking about in between each coil just sitting normal ?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score