"Clunk" when downshifting from 2nd to 1st coming t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gavin

Reaction score
My '03 Limited 4X4 has developed a frequent "clunk" and lurch when coming to a stop. It feels like the transmission is slamming hard when shifting from 2nd to 1st.

Anyone else have this? Any idea what is the cause?

My libby has 55,000 miles. I had the dealer flush the transmission about 10k miles ago and replace the filter. Also changed the transfer case and both axles (rear is Trak-lock).

Thanks

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that, only has 17k on it. But if yours hasent been doing it all its life and just started it then idk. You should of noticed it along time ago if its been doing it all the time.

gavin

Reaction score
Yeah, it just started doing this a week ago. It is quite annoying when it happens, and I can't help but thinking that something is gonna blow in the transmission... 8-[

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this when you are rolling still, or you have come to a stop and go from 2nd to 1st?

gavin

Reaction score
The clunk happens when I am still rolling, but slowing down to stop at an intersection, etc. It happens at very low speed <5MPH and is definately when the transmission is shifting from 2nd to 1st. It slams into first hard and fast.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
gavin said:
The clunk happens when I am still rolling, but slowing down to stop at an intersection, etc. It happens at very low speed <5MPH and is definately when the transmission is shifting from 2nd to 1st. It slams into first hard and fast.

been happening to me for quite some time...
i dont even know when it started....but it didnt happen as soon as I got it.
i've asked the same questions, to other forums, and at the dealers..

others response...it's a normal jeep thing....
happens to others too.

dealears response "we couldnt recreate the problem"

usually it happens (to me anyway) when the ****** is cold, or coming to a fast stop (but clunk and jerk will occur around 5 mph)
goes away after it's been running....

I have an 02 ltd

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that. I'm at 40K. I was told it's because of the same reason it takes our trannys forver to shift from R to D. The selenoids are just too damn slow.