Close 1 w/ TFC shift cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was off-roading in southern Utah on snow covered trails today. All was fine until I tried going up a steep hill with loose snow. Made it most the way up, but not quite to the top. No problem, just shift to 4wd low, right? WRONG!!!! Pulled the lever, but noticed the 4wd light went out. Tried to go, but NO tires moved. I let it role back down hill to the bottom. Still nothing. Had to shovel snow out from under the driver side, lay down a 55 gallon trash bag, and crawled underneath. Yep. The transfer case shift cable had come loose from the transfer case. The part that holds it on was gone. Just the loop at the end was there. It had come off as it was shifting through neutral. So, I stuck it back on, and luckily it stayed long enough to get into 4wd high, drive back to the paved road, and shifted it back to 2wd. So I guess tomorrow I'll be replacing the cable.

Moral of the story? If in snow, carry a big scoop shovel and a tarp or 55 gallon trash bags with you.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ah ....I don't think so....
Beauty Atlas Transfer case & shifters / cables that tjkj2002 installed~ :gr_grin:
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a shift cable nylon bushing verity pack. Found one that was close, shaved it down a little and opened the hole up. Put it in the cable eyelet then on the shift lever. Locked it in with a locking tab washer. Works better than it ever has. Total cost $10

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a shift cable nylon bushing verity pack. Found one that was close, shaved it down a little and opened the hole up. Put it in the cable eyelet then on the shift lever. Locked it in with a locking tab washer. Works better than it ever has. Total cost $10

Cool. Thanks. I'll look into it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a good idea - thanks for posting that! :waytogo:

Bob