Clicking while in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02kj

Reaction score
After a recent offroad trip my liberty started clicking quite loud in 4wd. 2wd you don't hear it, and it would click while going straight or turning. It didn't have any noises up until this one good size mud hole.

I originally thought it was the driver side cv but it looks good and when i jacked it up and turned it listening for noises its only sound came from the TC side of the drive shaft it seemed (but turning it and listening is quite hard to be exact). Is there any definitive tests to do to see where the noise is coming from so I can replace what is needed.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree- the tcase end of the front driveshaft is where the problem is.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud and water isn't a very good lubricant. If the cv boot is ripped open, which it sometimes is, then slop very likely got inside the joint.

02kj

Reaction score
I got under it yesterday and tried feeling for slop etc but i didnt do the research on it untill later so didnt know to look for the ripped boot, i'll crawl under it and check it out. it didnt have any wierd movement but i also dont have the torque of a t-case twisting on it hah. thanks for the advice.

02kj

Reaction score
haha I got what you ment. I'm just used to bad cv's having some movement or "slop" in them but thats cv axles vs a driveshaft cv.

02kj

Reaction score
Well, it seems that everyone was correct. The boot is definatly torn and in the pic I'm posting you can barely see it but there is a very dry bearing in view. Hopefully this is the clicking I've been hearing, it'd make sense happening right after going through a watery hole. Ordering the replacement tonight or tomorrow and hope to get it done soon, thank you everyone for the help!

You must be registered for see images attach

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
We are all pretty used to that failure around here :D
Good luck .. but you won't need it, easy job and lots of good direction in the How-to

02kj

Reaction score
Well it was very easy. Got done tonight, found out it already had been rebuilt by autopartsunlimited, had their part # on it. I used a driveshaftparts unit this time. Looks like a quality part hope it lasts atleast a while hah
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online