clicking noise, not a cv joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read through the other threads and can't find an answer so ill just put it out there.

Clicking noise when driving about 10 mph. I can hear it mostly when braking for a stop sign, usually just 2 or 3 clicks depending on how long I stay at that speed. It does it when cornering or going straight. Kinda sounds like it is coming from the right front.

I found a bad cv joint on front driveshaft. Replaced with ujoint driveshaft. Noise is still there. Replaced right cv shaft. Noise is still there. Noticed some shavings on diff side of intermediate shaft. Changed diff oil. No shavings.

My best guess is the bearing on that side of diff. Anyone else have any ideas?

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Just a light clicking sound like if you squeeze an empty soda can and it crinkles a bit? Only when going under 10 mph?

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sound is more like two marbles slamming together just like a cv joint. On another note my transfer case has started to slip out of 4 low into something like 2 low when going up really steep hills. I take it into 4 full time and back and its fine. I wonder if the sound is related to that or if its just another problem.

Well I'm a drill sergeant and I pick up 220 new recruits today, so maybe ill have a chance to check it out in a month and be able to do major work in 14 weeks.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it looked fine when I pulled it. The teeth were good, it just had small shavings on it from something else. I found a post in here where someone else had inspected theirs and mine looked good.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I described my symptoms to a buddy of mine and he said the chain in the transfer case will make a sound like that when it stretches and it would also explain why now my 4lo will slip out now. I thought for sure the sound was coming from the right side though. Just thought I would post lest anyone else has this problem.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had that same problem in my xj which lead to me installing an hd chain kit but i got 300k out of the original. just go atlas2 and you wont go wrong you can replace the 1 4x4 selector for 2 in the same spot :)

Last edited:

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a squeaking / creaking noise at low speed and only when trans is engaged .. Honestly, it sounds like an old bed spring creaking - Was suggested that maybe the noise is a brake pad sensor but I don't think so as the sound goes away if I pop into neutral and coast ..

I'm baffled at what this could be -

Any ideas?

Thanks

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea what that could be.

I just found out that my noise is coming from the rear, not the front. So much for asking my buddies to stick their heads out the window. Seabass drove it and thinks it could be the brakes. I need to change brake pads back there anyway when I get a chance. Being a drill sergeant ***** especially considering I am almost through with what will be at least a 96 hour week. Only a few hours left...

And I gotta adjust the linkage on my transfer case so it will stay in 4lo. Holy hell I need some time off.

widwesternjeepz

Reaction score
Hey Sarge just make some recruits bust their balls working on the KJ... Grab that wrench, move it move it move it!!! LOL

Seriously though, thanks for serving, hope you get some time off soon!

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to look at it when I changed the brakes, too many werewolf killers. I guess it wasn't the brakes. Must be the hub binding. I thought it would be more of a grinding when the hub goes. That project will have to wait.