Clarifying Suspension Upgrade...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matto

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd like to upgrade the suspension on my '05 Liberty Renegade, as my front is sitting at 18" both sides, which will eat away at me until I do something about it. Rear is still at 19" both sides, surprisingly, but I think it's best to upgrade all the way around. Mileage is 75k & change.

I don't want much of a lift (1" higher is OK), so I will go with 925/947 OME. I'm also contemplating putting 245/70/16's on and I want to minimize, if not eliminate, any rubbing at full lock.

My first question is this: on Jeepin By Al, the 947 is listed as "medium duty", which is confusing me. Isn't the 947 light duty?

Also, is there anything else I will need to bring to the shop aside from front springs, rear springs, front struts, & rear shocks? If so, please clarify, so there isn't any hassle when I have the work done. I did read something about bump stops in the stickied thread. Do I need to buy these as well? If so, which ones, how many, etc..?

I really appreciate the help in advance.

Thank you.

Matt

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd like to upgrade the suspension on my '05 Liberty Renegade, as my front is sitting at 18" both sides, which will eat away at me until I do something about it. Rear is still at 19" both sides, surprisingly, but I think it's best to upgrade all the way around. Mileage is 75k & change.

I don't want much of a lift (1" higher is OK), so I will go with 925/947 OME. I'm also contemplating putting 245/70/16's on and I want to minimize, if not eliminate, any rubbing at full lock.

My first question is this: on Jeepin By Al, the 947 is listed as "medium duty", which is confusing me. Isn't the 947 light duty?

Also, is there anything else I will need to bring to the shop aside from front springs, rear springs, front struts, & rear shocks? If so, please clarify, so there isn't any hassle when I have the work done. I did read something about bump stops in the stickied thread. Do I need to buy these as well? If so, which ones, how many, etc..?

I really appreciate the help in advance.

Thank you.

Matt

Light Duty and Medium Duty is all there is for rears
925s are rated at 350 lbs so upgrade from stock which are 310
You'll have to remove the front shock/spring combo and take it in if doing yourself to be compressed
If paying someone else then shocks/ springs/ bumpstops

Last edited:

Matto

Reaction score
Thank you sir.

I don't mean to be a pain here, but just need a bit more clarification on the bump stops. From what I've read here, sounds like I need to buy the 3" Teraflex ones for the front (I see it on JBA). Is this the right part even for the 925 springs? Not sure if ride height is affected. Also, 2 hockey pucks on each side for the rear 947s? They're not going to look at me like I have 2 heads if I give them 4 hockey pucks to use?

Thanks again. I apologize if this is redundant. Just want to make sure this is a one and done thing and no problems at the shop.

PS anybody have experience running 245/70/16 with this setup? Some say there may be minimal rubbing on KJs with no lift -- I wonder if this slight lift over stock will eliminate any possibility of rubbing.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir.

I don't mean to be a pain here, but just need a bit more clarification on the bump stops. From what I've read here, sounds like I need to buy the 3" Teraflex ones for the front (I see it on JBA). Is this the right part even for the 925 springs? Not sure if ride height is affected. Also, 2 hockey pucks on each side for the rear 947s? They're not going to look at me like I have 2 heads if I give them 4 hockey pucks to use?

Thanks again. I apologize if this is redundant. Just want to make sure this is a one and done thing and no problems at the shop.

PS anybody have experience running 245/70/16 with this setup? Some say there may be minimal rubbing on KJs with no lift -- I wonder if this slight lift over stock will eliminate any possibility of rubbing.

Some people can run 245/70s on stock suspension with no rubbing. So I think that this could be possible

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245-70-16's on a stock suspension '03 KJ 4x4. My springs have sagged quite a bit. I'm at about 18-18.5" all the way around.. no rubbing, dang its close.. but no rubbing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 245-70-16's on a stock suspension '03 KJ 4x4. My springs have sagged quite a bit. I'm at about 18-18.5" all the way around.. no rubbing, dang its close.. but no rubbing.

An inch sagged, yep has to be close

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a 245/75r16 is more common among lifted KJ's....245/70r16 is barely bigger than stock

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I've just never heard of a lifted kj rubbing with 245/70's

Latest posts

Members online