Chromeintakes - 2pc CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
CHROMINTAKES - 2PC INTAKE w/CONE FILTER (EBAY)
You must be registered for see images attach

This shows a small tube attached to the TB, and a longer tube connected to it, and you can't see the filter in the pic. Well, mine does not look like that, as you can see from the attachments below. I Will modify it later using my original intake hose as the first piece. This will be to extend the intake, and make for better fitment and flex with engine movement.

Ok, so I bought one of these for $20.00 on ebay, plus shipping. So, that's about 35.00 all together. It is not a CAI, because it does not dip down low enough to pull cold air. The filter resides where the old air-box was. The air-box & intake tube are easy to remove.

It was cheaper than what it would have cost me to buy the tubing, fittings, and filter at any local autoparts store! The filter alone, (Cheap spectre cone), was 35.00; you then add the price of hose, tubes, clamps, fittings, and grommet for CAI. It was well into $100.00 range for the parts...

Everything came as advertised, but there are a few things to know. There are instructions, but not detailed enough, and no pictures for reference. You get step-by-step instructions, except no reference for the mounting hardware.

If you have A/C: There is no clearance under the intake where the two pieces join. I managed to lift it up about 1/8" so it doesn't hit the lines or hood insulation. It is a tight fit if you have A/C, period. I will place some of that hard rubber under so it doesn't wear the fitting or tube.

CAI Hole & Grommet: Grommet is very weak. The CAI does not fit tightly into the grommet, and kind of hangs out a little, and seems loose. The hole was not drilled correctly, was ovaled out slightly, and was not deburred properly.

Mounting Bracket: No indication where you are supposed to install this, to keep the intake sturdy. I put it where the 2nd bolt is, to the right, of the where original intake tube spouts up. It's part of the upper rad support. I removed the bolt, and installed the long piece of the bracket there, with the bolt. I then bolted the "L" piece to the bracket, then the "L" under the band clamp for the filter cone. Looks and feels decent, and sturdy.

Breather Hose: It all connects together ok, but has too much hose, and loops around to the 2nd intake piece nozzle. Since you are removing the breather filter from the system, you will get oil in the intake tube. So, I installed a fuel filter as an oil catch, that I got at Auto Zone; part# FF733, then G485 below that number.

The filter I got a small canister with two nozzles out of the top, one marked IN and the other, OUT. The OE hose from the breather (using some of the included BLUE hose - Cut to fit) goes into the IN nozzle; band clamp it. then you use the remaining hose, it clamps to the OUT; then the into the intake tube nozzle; which does not require clamping. You have to clamp the included hose that go in and out of the oil catch. This is a free flowing filter; I blew into it and there was no resistance (others I have used took some effort). This will keep oil out of the intake altogether, as the original system was designed to do. You should only have to change it, or dump the oil out every 40k miles, or more. The breather filter I had, looked like it was never changed, and was NOT saturated, so this system should last, and there is about 58K on the Jeep.

I will let you know if there is any MPG increase.

I noticed I do not have to push as ******* the throttle either.

It is not really any louder than the original system.

Use a real K&N filtercharger for optimal performance gains.

Attachments

• IntakeConnectionTB.jpg
    IntakeConnectionTB.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IntakeSystemA.jpg
    IntakeSystemA.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Cone&BracketA.jpg
    Cone&BracketA.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Cone&BracketB.jpg
    Cone&BracketB.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Pictures added to the first post...

3/33/09: I asked the seller some questions, last week, about the intake. I asked about the bad hole for CAI, weak grommet, and WHERE does that bracket go; and, about the IAT hole not being deburred properly. Guess what? Yeah, no response, so don't buy one.

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to run the pipe down further away from the engine so that it will actually get cooler air to the intake?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Are you planning to run the pipe down further away from the engine so that it will actually get cooler air to the intake?

Yes, I plan on reattaching the stock intake tube, since it goes all the way over there. Then, attaching the one piece with the breather fitting, to go DOWN, and if have to, couple another straight piece of tube. I made that one on the Avenger I had, so I can do it with no problems. You can actually see the intake filter on the Avenger, its in another post in the forums. That was a 2pc attached to the stock intake hose.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can't go down too far, the coolant hose is in the way, among other things... Anyhow, here are my 2nd edition intake system pics:

I am now using the OE Tube.

Brackets; The long straight one; I got at Pep Boyz:

Better view of the Fuel Filter as Oil Catch Can:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell ones on ebay that are done exactly like that. without a heat shield it does pretty much the same as how you had it before, the plus being that you can make heat sheilding a little more easier. But i just have a feeling that there is a way to bring that intake all the way down where you want it. ill look at it tomorrow night

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
second set of pics look pretty good with the black stock pipe. nice job.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only problem i see with putting that stock pipe backe in is the ribs. the ribs are made to cause turbulence and hide the intake noise. The downside is that it hurts the flow. this may be minimal but does effect

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The ribs are also there because the motor moves in the cradle, and there needs to be a flex point. Say that was a solid plastic pipe all the way to the air-box; the air box or clamps would work loose, because of engine movement in the cradle, pulling and pushing on the intake hose.

Also, yeah, as far as real CAI? Not happening... The lower rad hose is directly in the way, and the front suspension is too, there is no way to get it down far enough for cooler air from outside.

Snorkel anyone?

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know right, where is the ebay snorkel kit? i understand that its there for noise and flex but it still hurs flow thats why silicone couplers are great, they wont work free and they will bend

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know right, where is the ebay snorkel kit? i understand that its there for noise and flex but it still hurs flow thats why silicone couplers are great, they wont work free and they will bend
There is only one maker of KJ snorkels and they are in Australia,no ebay version made for the KJ.Dirk at DPG Offroad may have one or 2 left.

Oh and some turbulence can actually be good for performance.Keep that air filter as high as you can also,otherwise you can suck water into the engine,it's a Jeep not a street racer.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know there are no ebay snorkels but it would be easy to make a kit, i wish they did. I just dont like the idea of cutting into the fender

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know there are no ebay snorkels but it would be easy to make a kit, i wish they did. I just dont like the idea of cutting into the fender
Not cheap to be vehicle specific,universal ones would look really bad.Snorkels are kinda worthless without the rest of the deepwater fording stuff.You think the ribbed bends in the OEM setup is bad,the bends in a snorkel are worse,oh and you would need to reuse the OEM box with the available snorkel kit since it is just the piping and no airfilter and is designed to re-use the OEM box.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i ever got past the fact im cutting into the body, i wouldnt use a kit i would make my own with piping but i dont see myself in any floods any time soon (its already seen 2)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I still say, since the TB is right in the center of the hood, there should be a way to cut the hood and scoop it... Like the 440 Six Packs, when the hood comes down, the intake seals up nice... Maybe, if I find a cheap hood, I will cut a portion of the center "V" out and scoop it, or whatever. I can be done, they were nice enough on the 2006 to place the TB center! NICE...