Chrome or Body-Colored Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious since I am in the company of fellow Jeep fanatics...

A buddy of mine who is a freak about Japanese cars and anti-American cars (and frowned on the Libby purchase...at first...) said that he liked everything on my Libby except the chrome grill. He says it would look much better with a body-colored grill. Now of course, this is very much a game of personal preference, but I'm curious now as to what you all think?

I personally think my Libby looks smokin with my chrome grill =P~

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I like the body colored grill rather then the chrome, that was of the reasons we purchased a sport instead of a limited.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the chrome looks fine on the Limiteds, since you also have the chrome side moldings too, but I would never put a chrome grill on mine. Mine is matched to the flares. I think chrome along with the two other colors I have would be a little too much going on, which is my opinion on any trim other than the limited, since we all basically have two colors (whether the flares are painted gray like mine, or just the plain plastic) except for the Limiteds.

But if you like it, that should be all that matters...who cares what your friend thinks, he's not making the payments.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body color grille, even on the limited with matching molding. N big on the chrome look, just my opinion tho. Its been said a bunch of times around here, its your jeep and half the fun of owning one is doing what you want to it.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the colour. I saw a black KJ Limited with chrome grille - looked sweeeeet.

Otherwise, for most other colours, I'd go for body coloured.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the lighter colored jeeps I like the body colored grill. But I think on the darker colors the chrome looks better as there's more contrast. Just my opinion.

I like to see different ones though so I don't get bored.

That being said - do what you like best. You said that your friend likes foreign cars so it sounds like he's into the little foreign bling bling stuff so consider the source. I don't mean anything bad by that - but just consider the source.

Dave

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think it depends on what you're going for. I'm working on giving my KJ a rugged look. Chrome does not fit with rugged. But if you want it looking nice on the street...chrome is seeeeexxxxyyyy

maureen58

Reaction score
I have a black '05 limited with a chrome grill. I like the look alot. I added chrome protectors on my taillights also so there is chrome on every side of my KJ. Looks good. Previously I had an '03 limited with a solid black grill. It also looked good, but the one thing I notice with the matching colored grill which was the same problem I had with my '01 Cherokee is that the flat front of the vehicle I got alot of stone chips in the paint which I don't get with the chrome. I used to also get chips in the painted side molding of my '03 limited (most of them from my girlfriends car parked next to me in the garage) then I get on the chrome side molding of my '05. But as others have said, its what you like that counts.

Lashlarue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was tired of seeing mirror images of my car everywhere I went and I liked the look of mine when I put on the chrome grill.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrome is for Harleys. My opinion, YMMV.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Dave, definitely gotta consider the source. He was pushing me to look at the Xterra, what's up with that?!? Talk about bad taste! [-X

I was just curious how other Libby owners felt about the chrome. I agree it definitely looks better as a street ride, which is pretty much why I bought it: suburbia, road trips, and snow driving. If you're looking for the off-roading look, then the chrome is definitely out of place.

Thanks for the opinions either way, good stuff.