Chop top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally would rethink that idea. There isn't a frame like a TJ/ JK etc, the whole body shell is welded together to be one unit. Start cutting tops off etc unless you weld in a complete frame work, you may have some serious issues

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To keep the unibody/frame from folding, a custom built full roll cage tying front, center, and back together would be more practical, and effective.
Is this a nice weather only vehicle? If not, what are your plans for a temporary top? Trying to do something like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fist time I've seen a photo of that KJ used where it wasn't getting made fun of lol

I think BDS was going to chop the top of theirs to make a vinyl/canvas top but scrapped it and decided to just go with chopping the back due to the amount of work it would have taken. Considering all the work they fabricated in to that already, if they scrapped the idea there must have been a good reason.

Last edited:

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someones post on how they rebuilt a rolled kj shows the removal of the roof. would interesting to remove the roof and replace with reinforced cross bars and canvas top.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fist time I've seen a photo of that KJ used where it wasn't getting made fun of lol

I think BDS was going to chop the top of theirs to make a vinyl/canvas top but scrapped it and decided to just go with chopping the back. Could be a way to go but still would require a lot of structural work.

BDS's does have a slider back canvas top much like a KK
BUT it has a full tube roll cage with everything tied together front to rear, MUCH work was done and lots of time and $$$$$$$$$$$. Lets just say that their budget was more than several of our KJs together
Was cool to be there on the last fab day though

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another option. The more I look at this one, the more I like it...kind of.

Or for the real grocery-getter. In the handicapped spot, no less. lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked out the latest editions from Mahindra if you liked their KJ version? They will try and copy anything
But you'd like their Thar Adventure Edition I'm sure based off of the TJ I'd say , only 30 will be produced:icon_lol:

The fake wood grained ones some look good depending on color. Were a couple where I used to live, the white looked good with the wood grain, heck I'd drive it

gavin_lowery

Reaction score
Well my thought was to take take everything above the swing gate and bring it behind the back bench seat sorta like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Members online