Choosing a stereo and a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i posted the same thing at lost, wondering if anyone can help with this:

I am not really familiar with aftermarket stereos, currently I have RBQ on my '04 (6CD in-dash).

I want to take full advantage of mp3 playback, and consider one that is DVD-MP3 compatible units, however I am confused about the power; for example the one I am considering says 52 watts x 4 peak power or 22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels also it says # of pre-amp outputs 4, Pre-amp output voltage (volts) 4.0.

I read somewhere else that it says about the stock speakers: "The total available power of the premium speaker system is about 160 watts". So it sounds like we are still on the safe side with UP TO 40 watt x 4 power unit? Because I am not planning to change stock speakers, and I don't really want to get anything that is over the capacity of stock speakers, or way too under it.

I believe stock unit kind of garbles music that has too much instruments, such as Rock or Orhcestra. It does fairly well on r&b or rythm type musics where each sound is disctinctive.

RBQ is supposed to provide 66 watts of total power at 3% total harmonic distortion, i don't know what difference this makes, is it underpowered?

Last question is, I know the door speakers are powered by their own amps. Will it be a problem if the new unit sends higher signal and stock speakers amplify it?

Any input on this is appreciated, especially if anyone swapped stock radio with something like what I am considering. I am planning to get it from crutchfield, so I am not worried about installation problems..

Thanks.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You have the premium speakers meaning they have their own amps. The deck is merely providing a signal to the door amps- not actually powering the speakers. So you really can't blow the speakers as the stock amps will only output what the factory designed them for. Your after market deck will probably make the stockers seem louder, because it will produce a higher volume signal output than the factory deck. That being said it could be possible to blow the speakers, but you would really have to work them to do so.

my .02
Bennett

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider... You say that the stock speakers have amps. Amps typically take pre-amp inputs. If you wire up the 52 watt outputs of the head unit to the inputs of the amp, it should blow the amp up. My jeep already had an aftermarket Alpine installed when I got it so I didn't go through that. I'm not sure how the stock wiring is set up on the jeeps. Anyone know?
Rescu2000

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how they work, the speakers on the door. Since they are classified as woofers, I assume they are seperately powered. I think I read somewhere here that they are powered by the amps on the doors. I am very confused with this, I am sure someone here simply swapped the stock radio with aftermarket, and most likely more powerful unit while retaining the stock speakers.

Must I get something that offers both amp'ed and non amp'ed outputs so I need to connect it to non amp'ed outputs? Also there are few HU's that offer ability to turn of internal amp..

I don't want to buy a great HU and later blow my speakers, I cannot afford to get them replaced. (Aeh)

Thanks.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I don't know how they work, the speakers on the door. Since they are classified as woofers, I assume they are seperately powered. I think I read somewhere here that they are powered by the amps on the doors. I am very confused with this, I am sure someone here simply swapped the stock radio with aftermarket, and most likely more powerful unit while retaining the stock speakers.

Must I get something that offers both amp'ed and non amp'ed outputs so I need to connect it to non amp'ed outputs? Also there are few HU's that offer ability to turn of internal amp..

I don't want to buy a great HU and later blow my speakers, I cannot afford to get them replaced. (Aeh)

Thanks.
My first upgrade was swapping out the HU. I have (had) the infinity speakers with the amp. Dont worry, you wont blow out the speaker. Dont use the pre amp outputs, and make sure you get the proper wiring harness (Crutchfield is a good source).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bill.

I am not familiar with the terms, pre-amp means it has been amplified already, so if I swap the speakers with a new set, (maybe if they come free with HU) I would have to use pre-amp.

Also, as I mentioned, there are few units that offer ability to turn on/off internal amplifier.

Lastly, do all HUs come with non-amp outputs? (Aeh)

Thanks!

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Thank you Bill.

I am not familiar with the terms, pre-amp means it has been amplified already, so if I swap the speakers with a new set, (maybe if they come free with HU) I would have to use pre-amp.

Also, as I mentioned, there are few units that offer ability to turn on/off internal amplifier.

Lastly, do all HUs come with non-amp outputs? (Aeh)

Thanks!
Pre Amp means that the signal "hasnt" been amplified. You want to use the "speaker" ouput lines to connect to the existing speakers. If you replace the speakers you still want to use the "speaker" output. Not all HU come with "pre amp" outputs.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, the reason I thought of that was because I was thinking if I used "speaker" outputs on the radio, it would be amplified already, and it would be getting amplified again by the stock speakers on the door with their own power drawing setup..

I am considering getting this unit:
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X590
Because it seems to be compatible with Jeep's steering wheel stereo controls, by adding this interface.
Rear of the unit: LINK

But if kenwood has bad reputation, I would skip on them..

thanks.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any experience with Kenwood, but it looks like a good HU, and i would trust the user reviews on Crutchfield. Right now my setup consist of Alpine, JL amps and Infinity speakers. Alpine are good, but expensive.

jholmes

Reaction score
Head Unit

For anyone thinking about adding the Uconnect to their vehicle.. I would take a look at crutchfield at the new Pioneer HU, which comes with built in bluetooth, I have it, and it works wonders.

Pics to come.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Head Unit

jholmes said:
I would take a look at crutchfield at the new Pioneer HU, which comes with built in bluetooth, I have it, and it works wonders.

I saw that one and a Sony HU that had BT. A lot of the Sony reviews said the internal mic has a lot to be desired and as I understand the Pioneer has an extended mic.

How is the performance of Pioneer mic?

Personally, I always thought the best place for a mic would be around the instrument cluster, where the surrounding shield would act to funnel the sound to it.

Thanks,
Tim

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, thanks for the comment, there are mostly positive reviews at crutchfield about this unit. I am looking to utilize a self powered OR no-power-required USB drive and hook it up to this kenwood since it comes with long enough USB cord that could be tucked away. I hope I can pull it from back of the unit to glovebox easily.

jholmes, I am not really a fan of uconnect, it is not functional enough, but haven't noticed the pioneer you mentioned. Although I know what Tim mentioned, as it was already in my wish list from day one (the problem is, it costs $400 and doesn't have any other extras than just BT) LINK to MEX-BT5000

I have heard some very good things about Alpines, also some bad things such as being overpriced while offering same features. I am not a big fan of their button layout & low res display, but I do know they sound great.

As I mentioned the reason I consider this kenwood is because of low price and possible compatibility with steering wheel controls.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the usb cable to the glove box is going to be easy. Remove the glove box (push in the tabs on each side, lower, and slide it to the right) to make it easier to run the cable.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I removed that once, also noticed that there is enough space near center console to run cables into the cd storage box, might have to drill it though.. OR run a cable from underneath to the cup holder. But glove box is the best choice for tucked away media.

I think $200 sounds cheap for this kind of unit, there is a saying "whatever is expensive there is a reason, whatever is cheap there is a treason.." (i tried to translate it, this is the closest I can get) because when I compare this unit's functions to others it seems like a steal.. :-k and they throw in speakers, aux input and more with it.. (Aeh)

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the premium speakers (they are infinity kappas if i remember correctly) i wouldnt recommend swapping them for those free speakers.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as precautionary measure, in case I end up blowing mine 8-[

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word of warning, the premium speakers have the amp(s) directly attached to them.
You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
Word of warning, the premium speakers have the amp(s) directly attached to them.
wow, great picture, thanks bill.
I assume there is no way to by pass / turn off the amps?
I wouldn't mind trying and comparing the sound with speaker amps against aftermarket HU amps. However, I assume these oem amps will be much better than aftermarket crippled into the HU. Last resort, will just hook them up to Non-preamp outputs from the stereo, if there is any (or turn off internal amp).. phew, a lot of things to consider.. 8-[

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
billforde said:
wow, great picture, thanks bill.
I assume there is no way to by pass / turn off the amps?
I wouldn't mind trying and comparing the sound with speaker amps against aftermarket HU amps. However, I assume these oem amps will be much better than aftermarket crippled into the HU. Last resort, will just hook them up to Non-preamp outputs from the stereo, if there is any (or turn off internal amp).. phew, a lot of things to consider.. 8-[
You can bypass the amp, but that would mean cutting wires, not sure if you want to go that far. Just for your info, here is the wiring diagrams for the 2004, other years may use different colors.
radio connection
front speakers
back speakers

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy stuff, wouldn't dare cutting wires. I am in crutchfield's hands once I get a stereo.

Didn't anyone simply swap the HU without fiddling anything else? [-o<

Members online

No members online now.