Choosing a stereo and a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man that *****, I thought there was like a wiring harness or some easier way to hook those steering wheel controls up than that. I didn't know it was that involved.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, pac-audio.com tells you everything step by step. It is the greatest instructions you can find anywhere, but fiddling with all these cables, (mentions that I need to access key cylinder !?) I think I will scratch that idea, save me $70. I might end up going with a Kenwood just for the USB feature, plus I took a look at Pioneer, the screen is weird, it goes converts into negative time to time (might be the demo thing, but the demo only works when it is turned off) so If that's a feature where it keeps going BRIGHT then DIM, then BRIGHT again, it is not for me...

Today is the last day of sale on crutchfield, I might have to make up my mind within a few hours. :-k

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never had kenwood, but I've never heard anything bad about em either. I do know that most of those demo things can be turned off though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I realized is, I have 6CD IN-DASH player.
6CD x 80 Min = 480 Min.
If I get Mp3-CD player, I will be able to pack about 700mb worth into the CD
Considering each song is about 4MB to 7MB with about 3-5 Min.
A sample of my collection is 703 MB, 8HR:23M = 503 Minutes with VBR
As you can see at higher quality there is really not a huge savings over 6CD vs. 1 Mp3CD.

This is why I was considering a Kenwood USB, so I could basically get a 2GB Thumbdrive for about $30 and fill it up with Mp3s + 1CD, that makes it about 2.5 GB storage on board.

I am sure there will be some sound quality difference over this.
just thinking out loud..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with Excelon KDC-X590
Most of the reviews were positive, and not many complained about the face problems.

It comes with free aux adapter and free set of speakers. I am not planning to use the speakers.

I will hook this up once it arrives and will let you know, the worst case I can still send it back if it is aweful.

Thanks all, for your comments.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are fast!

Code:
Order #: 	x
Invoice #: 	x
Order Date: 	Nov 27 2006 11:34PM
Details: 	Items have shipped.

Items: 	
ItemNumber	Description	Qty
263RCVRKIT	Crimp Tool and 20 Crimp Caps	1
127PIOAC25	PAC Extension Adapter	1
120996503	Chrysler Concorde/Dodge LHS 19	1
120706502	Chrysler/Dodge Wire Harness re	1
12040CR10	Chrysler Antenna Adapter Motor	1
113KFC1666	Kenwood KFC-1666 6-1/2" 2-way	1
113KDCX590	Kenwood Excelon KDC-X590	1
113CAC2AX	Kenwood CA-C2AX Auxiliary Inpu	1
060CCC1418	Crimp Caps 100 pieces	1

EDIT:

Delivery 11/30.
Very cool, things arrived in a huge box since I got free speakers.
Will post pics when i get to installing it over the weekend.. looks fairly simple, wish me luck!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed it today, only problem I got no FM/AM! :cry:
The antenna lead's center jack is very very thin, and requires precise & gentle tug and push. Of course I didn't know that, so the antenna adapter's pin broke.
Crutchfield will be sending a new one so I will have to take it out once again and connect that by next week. Other than that, everything works perfectly fine, thank God.

Here are the pics:

You must be registered for see images

The cables sticking out from the glovebox are 3.5mm audio in via aux + USB port with 256mb i found around.

The sound is much better with Mp3 out of Flash Memory, Radio also sounded good when I tested the unit with a piece of steel directly into antenna lead. I might be replacing the speakers.

Question: I got a pair of speakers for free, do you think it would make a difference if I swapped the ones in the rear with these? KFC-1666

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about the rear speakers.....yes, I think it would make a huge difference. The rear speakers are not 2-ways, just a single cone with maybe that "whizzer cone" thing on it. They're not good at all for high frequency reproduction, so yes, I would definately put em in....especially since you've already got em for free! The only thing about that is you're gonna want to replace the front ones too after you hear the difference.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
The only thing about that is you're gonna want to replace the front ones too after you hear the difference.

already thinking...
I haven't fiddled around with the detailed sound settings but I feel there is lack of bass in front woofers (probably because the HU is designed to use it's own sub output and might not be routing the bass properly).

Also the amps on the doors seem to heat-up, is that normal (it used to heat up before as well)..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Yea, Its normal for amps to heat up. You should feel the amp on my sub when it heats up! \:D/

what's your speaker set up
I know you got 12in Mtx 7500 mounted in sledge hammer box with Mtx 400watt 4ohm amp.
but how about speakers?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:
Yea, Its normal for amps to heat up. You should feel the amp on my sub when it heats up! \:D/

what's your speaker set up
I know you got 12in Mtx 7500 mounted in sledge hammer box with Mtx 400watt 4ohm amp.
but how about speakers?

I have the stock speakers in the front. I may change those out someday.. Probably not though.. I have MTX speakers in the rear doors. I dont remember which ones though.. :-s

I think my sub is 2 ohm?? I may be wrong though.. Haha, that would be sad if you knew more about my setup than I did.. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
blake, what's up with the MTX speakers? did you install them yourself? Are they exact fit (6 3/4") I hear the brackets are not tight fit.
I LOVE the front speakers, bass are great at high levels, but in low levels, I am not getting enough bass, I am planning to get a bazooka in the cargo or one that can take up the whole cargo flat, and can handle the weight on top of it, so I can use top of it.
And also I will try to replace the rear with the kenwoods I got from crutchfield for free to try them out.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just going to throw this in here, I don't think the pre wired amp is actually a cross over, here's why.

It doesn't have any heat diffusers, and if you put in a head unit it doesn't dobult amp the speakers like it should, also no bass goes to the tweeters, which the function of a cross over.