Cheap aluminum casting in front diffs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tork

Reaction score
Try your dealer first. They covered mine when it broke. They initially denied it but then changed their mind...this was after I bought one used. So I have one I can sell to you but it's probably cheaper to see if there is one in your area instead of shipping across the country. You can try to look around to see if any Jeep modifiers in your area can find one cheap. There is a national parts network I believe. I know it *****...if you need to drive it you can take out the axles up front and disconnect the drive shaft (a must). That's what I did and drove around for a month in RWD.

Good Luck!

Dave

dnm45227

Reaction score
Does anyone now if this is specific to trim models or years. I know I would be very unhappy if this happens to me.

nosliw

Reaction score
is this a one-time, you break it kind of thing? or can i go about my moderate off-roading funtime with some peace of mind?

Tork

Reaction score
This has a possibility of happening on any Liberty with our aluminium front diff. It seems to happen when there is some spinning and a sudden grab of traction. Driving on roads would probably not do any harm. It is when wheeling and a situation occurs when the front tires get of the ground and you are on the gas. The Jeep drops and grabs traction and that sudden stress on the diff is what makes it pop. Most people will never run into this problem...only the lucky few! I've found that when wheeling, I'm on both the gas and the brakes at the same time, prepared to step on the brake as soon as possible.

Some guys have had theirs warrantied and some have not. I was able to score one when mine broke. The dealer then fixed it so the one I bought is sitting at AllJ's waiting for the next member of our club to break their diff...sort of like a buy and replace policy. That way, there is always one on hand. A bit pricey but a good idea maybe for other clubs.

Hope this helps.

Dave

nosliw

Reaction score
nothing we should be doing as far as the aftermarket is concerned?

i'll just take things a little more slowly next time i'm out at my mudding grounds.