Cheap AC Bypass **PICTURE**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boy you all had to do a lot more work than I did: I was able to purchase a Dayco 5050658 from advance for $27.99 and install it without removing the AC Compressor Pulley or modifying it in any way...

no picture of my routing because of my HD fan shroud but I borrowed Dave's picture to show my routing:

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

I have about 200 miles on it with no issues.

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you did this:

You must be registered for see images

Which I got from this thread:

AC Compressor Bypass?

I saw that and thought it could work too, and easier as you say! But there was no mention of a belt size. Given what I went through with the belts, I could have just gone to the store and tried belts until I got it right anyways! :)

Edit to add, do you know how long that belt is?

Last edited:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes that is exactly how I routed it, although I didn't see that thread before hand. i got the belt number off of a thread on LOST and just had to figure the routing out myself.

Dayco says the Outside diameter of the belt is 66.41 inches

crajos

Reaction score
Just to update, I recently had the A/C clutch go out on my 3.7L '04 Liberty. Bought an 82.5" 6-rib belt from NAPA for about $38. The guy at NAPA told me they don't sell Dayco belts anymore because they're "the cheap ones" and the quality just isn't there.

For those who need to know, with an 82.5" belt, you have to route the belt like the OP did in his first pic. The belt is too long to run it at a 90-degree angle like in KeswickDave's diagram above, which means you will have to remove the A/C clutch assembly. My clutch and bearing were completely blown, so I just pounded everything off. Took about 10 minutes. The compressor shaft that the coil and pulley bearing mount on should look clean and un-marred.

Also - I had to remove my cooling fan and shroud (they are one piece). Just 2 screws and I was able to pull it right up through the top. Well worth the 2 minutes to remove it - you have loads more room to work.

One more thing to note. When I first started playing with the automatic belt tensioner, I wasn't sure I would be able to get the shorter belt on, but it turned out I just wasn't pulling on it hard enough. The 82.5" belt worked great. Good tension. Keeps my Jeep on the road until I get a new A/C clutch.

motoroilmccall

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but, gonna try and do this tomorrow in the parking lot at work where my jeep has sat for one night already.

Just out of curiosity, my jeep has a mechanical clutch fan, is this part of a tow package or something or is it that just the 02's had the mechanical fan? I got the 82.5" belt to be safe since it seems to be the more common solution.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never realized how common this issue was...mine was about to go before I got it fixed (she whined like CRAZY). Solid post though! :D

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but, gonna try and do this tomorrow in the parking lot at work where my jeep has sat for one night already.

Just out of curiosity, my jeep has a mechanical clutch fan, is this part of a tow package or something or is it that just the 02's had the mechanical fan? I got the 82.5" belt to be safe since it seems to be the more common solution.

I know it came with the tow package. I don't have one on my 04, but that doesn't mean they weren't included in the 02 models. The tow package also came with the heavy duty shroud. Mine has the shroud for some reason. It's really big and makes working on the engine harder, but oh well.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing that this thread popped up, my clutch is going and I've been messing with it trying to figure out how to do this. Thanks!

motoroilmccall

Reaction score
Anyone know the sizes of the bolts for the AC compressor? I have to grab tools from our lab to move it up out of the way in our parking lot.

Also, I'm guessing a 3/4" wrench for the tensioner pulley?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I didn't bother reading this thread... As it offends me.
Your vehicle came with A/C. Why not just get it repaired or replaced?
If you cannot afford the the cost of the repair or replacement parts of an Air conditioning system then maybe you should be driving something cheaper without an A/C system!
Why do vehicle owners always bite off more than they can chew?

Go without your daily Starbucks or other crap that costs money and get your shit fixed.

Last edited:

motoroilmccall

Reaction score
Hey Ry... How about you don't post useless posts like the one you just did? If it offends you that some people may not have immediate access to a new A/C Compressor, you must be a real piece of ****. I'm not doing this because I'm too cheap to fix it the right way, I'm doing it because I need the car NOW and I need to get it home to fix it, and I don't want to pay $300 to have it towed (or use one of my AAA tows, but neither here nor there)...

For other people, its likely something that they run into on a road trip, or when they simply don't have the time or means necessary to get the A/C fixed properly. Do you have kids to feed, clothe, etc? Then you have no idea what kind of financial and scheduling burden that puts on many of the people driving any vehicle, A/C equipped or not.

The Starbucks comment is obviously misplaced anger, and you obviously are an ignorant POS to be posting such ridiculous garbage... Have a good day. Moron...

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you missed the sarcasm.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this sounds like something I should toss in with the jumper cables.
just in case.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine like the op posted and it seems to be working great. I tried the 79.5" route and the belt was so loose I could take it off with out loosening the tensioner.

As for Ry's comment, a real man doesn't need a/c.. the only time mine has ever been on is when the women folk get in and whine about the heat.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine like the op posted and it seems to be working great. I tried the 79.5" route and the belt was so loose I could take it off with out loosening the tensioner.

As for Ry's comment, a real man doesn't need a/c.. the only time mine has ever been on is when the women folk get in and whine about the heat.

2X the only the only AC that i use is the 4-60

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Ry... How about you don't post useless posts like the one you just did? If it offends you that some people may not have immediate access to a new A/C Compressor, you must be a real piece of ****. I'm not doing this because I'm too cheap to fix it the right way, I'm doing it because I need the car NOW and I need to get it home to fix it, and I don't want to pay $300 to have it towed (or use one of my AAA tows, but neither here nor there)...

For other people, its likely something that they run into on a road trip, or when they simply don't have the time or means necessary to get the A/C fixed properly. Do you have kids to feed, clothe, etc? Then you have no idea what kind of financial and scheduling burden that puts on many of the people driving any vehicle, A/C equipped or not.

The Starbucks comment is obviously misplaced anger, and you obviously are an ignorant POS to be posting such ridiculous garbage... Have a good day. Moron...

BTW?
I have two teenage daughters!
And I am on a disability pension and get ONE QUARTER of my earnings.
But at the end of the day I make sure I have money set aside for repairs for our Rig.

As far as being a POS?

You are wrong I am a (I cannot post this word. It would offend all the ladies here! But it starts with a "C" and has the letters "U" and "N" and the letter after "S"!

So get over it whiner and fix you shit!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
A/C was made for Georgia summers. Reminds me I need a recharge. Its not as cold as I think it ought to be.

Ry just doesnt get to use his enough up in British Columbia.

Ya that's true Trent!
Here it is supposed to be summer and it feels more like Autmn!
******' rain out and not really warm yet...
Time to move South into the heat!

Last edited:

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived in tacoma 4.5 years. A/C wasn't neccessary for survival. Don't wish for it, you live in a beautiful place, I didn't even mind the rain. BTW, I loved vancouver when I visited.