Changing plugs can be a PAIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Sunday I decided to change my spark plugs not that thay were bad but like to keep my jeep in peak condition and I like to play in the garge. So Iam down to my last plug you know the one, passanger rear by the trans dip stick. Well it was the first time the plugs were changed only 26,000 mile so Iam standing on a step as my jeep has a lift. Had to use a 1/2" braker bar thay were so tight to brake loose.(cool motor too) Well as I was leaning over to push on the braker bar POP not the braker bar not the plug but my ribs :eek: So I get down and get my breath and see stars. Now Iam mad what do I do get back up and do it again :eek: Well I go to the doc on Monday seperated my left ribs Pain Pain Pain no lifting no pulling no work. Today I go back to the doc for a recheck cartalage damage two more weeks no lifting no pulling no work still pain pain pain. Now if the cartalage does not heal correctly I have to go under the knif :-({|= Up side is the drugs are working for pain down side no driving.
Let me tell you changing my plus ended up bing a pain in my side.
Of all the dumb stuped things I have done @%&^$#@

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about that dude

Changing #6 really does suck. It took me and my friend about a half hour to change 1-5. But it took about an hour to change #6. It would be nice if they didn't put it back so far.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch... And i need to do a plug change when the weather gets better, been raining all week now.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your ribs, PorkChop. Speaking for the #6 plug, I'm always a little taken aback at how many people have so much trouble with it. Putting aside that some may be overtorqued-- I can't deny that if it's in tight that you might have trouble-- it's not too bad. I don't know all the changes in the engine from 02-09 models, but some people prefer to remove the coolant res. I didn't feel it was necessary. I was able to get to it fairly easily by removing the intake tube. So I don't repost, here's my method for getting to the plug:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=385310&postcount=60

Someone pointed out to me that if you're not careful and put too much lateral pressure, you *could* crack the ceramic on the plug. This is possible, but use your hand as a guide on the base extender, should be no problem.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys all whine about the KJ plugs. They are nothing compared to my honey's Pathfinder or a '68 Cougar w/390 and power brakes. I've managed to change my KJ's sparkers in about 30min flat.:D

Hey PorkChop, take it easy man, get well soon.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch... And i need to do a plug change when the weather gets better, been raining all week now.

x2

Now I'm wondering if I should do the old phone call to the mechanic friend.

"Hey buddy, I got a 6-pack with your name on it. Oh, and I could really use a hand changing my spark plugs."

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are too funny, I am sorry about your rib though. Try changing the 16 plugs in a Dodge Ram hemi, then you'll see what difficulty is.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
It took me an 1:15 to do all six and that was the fix time changing them in the libby to or in a libby...And most the time was the #6 as yall same.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
You guys are too funny, I am sorry about your rib though. Try changing the 16 plugs in a Dodge Ram hemi, then you'll see what difficulty is.

I've done that too! Its easy on the hemi i did!!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You guys all whine about the KJ plugs. They are nothing compared to my honey's Pathfinder or a '68 Cougar w/390 and power brakes. I've managed to change my KJ's sparkers in about 30min flat.:D

Hey PorkChop, take it easy man, get well soon.

No kidding, you'd think it was a 5.4 in an F150 the way some of these guys are talking :p

And Porkchop...drink a beer or 5. Helps thin the blood:)

And keeps the kidneys cleaned out.

Kinda made up that last part.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
No kidding, you'd think it was a 5.4 in an F150 the way some of these guys are talking :p

And Porkchop...drink a beer or 5. Helps thin the blood:)

And keeps the kidneys cleaned out.

Kinda made up that last part.

LOL the 5.4 are *******!!!

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ, you aren't too far off. The alcohol in the beer is a diuretic, which makes you pee more. Just have to top back off in the morning with some water, gatorade, etc...

As far as the ribs, before going under the knife to fix cartilage. Get a second opinion. I worked in surgery for 3 years and am currently a Trauma Nurse... I've seen TONS of fractured ribs, there isn't anything they can do except let them heal. Hell, I broke 7 of mine jumping out of C-130.... hurt like hell, but I healed... seriously, get a second opinion please. Broken ribs are like broken toes... not really much you can do except go easy.

Keith

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the KJ looks easy enough, at least i can actually access all the plugs!! I just don't feel like doing it in the rain, no garage here.

You want another example of a PITA plug change?? Pontiac Montana with the 3.4L V6. The front three no problem, like ten minutes if your moving slow... The back three?? A lift, extension and a swivel, and reaching around the exhaust and everything else back there. On the 97 we had there was no way to do it from the top, there was barely an inch of clearance between the coil pack and the firewall at the back of the engine, so you couldn't reach down from the top. And you couldn't remove the coil back because its mounting bracket had two nuts down on the back side of the rear head. So you were stuck doing it from underneath no matter what.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I did the same thing when I changed #6. I stood on a upside down bucket (duh) to get a better reach and it slid and I wacked my ribs when I slid off. Sounds like you you did a better job on your ribs than I did though. The first 5 plugs were a breeze.

I have cracked my ribs, bruised them and otherwise beat myself up at times. Ribs are a real pain. But there's nothing you can do in the meantime except to be careful until they heal and the pain will remind you when you twist the wrong way or try to carry something too heavy until it heals.

Dave

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to take my ribs and smoke them really slowly, usually over night with a dry rub. Then slather some sauce on there and crank up the heat a bit to give it some nice carmelization. Meat falls right off the bone. They are Legen -(wait for it...) DARY!

Mmmm...ribs. =P~

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Aaron keeps threatening to post pictures of me changing the spark plugs... because at 5'3", changing plug #6 requires me to climb IN the engine bay. :p

That's no fun, porkchop. Here's to quick healing! (Cheers)

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Aaron keeps threatening to post pictures of me changing the spark plugs... because at 5'3", changing plug #6 requires me to climb IN the engine bay. :p

That's no fun, porkchop. Here's to quick healing! (Cheers)

lol im 6'1'' and when i did #6 i climbed inside the bay..yet then again i got a bad back...lol so dont feel bad:D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well this is the story that nobody wants to hear! Sorry about that.

Get better quickly. ;)

and mmm, ribs.... :) Not yours though. lol3.gif