changed the bulb on the turn signal-still blinks too fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.

light bulb on the front turn signal went out yesterday. so it blinks very fast to inform me that the bulb is broken.

no problem.....took me 2 minutes to replace the light bulb on the turn signal - it works fine.

so - why does it still blink fast??? all turn signals are just fine.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the bulb or packaging, or recall what brand it was or anything?
Sure sounds like an led bulb.. or that one is still out on that side.

I'd take the turn signal cover back off but keep the bulbs in, turn the turn signal on that side on, just to see that both bulbs are functioning.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulb that is blinking fast is not always the culprit. Usually when the front flashes fast the rear is out, I would put on the signal and check both the front and rear.

Also you may want to bend the little metal connection plates on the bulb holder itself. I found an issue with the rear where the bulb was slipping contact and would give the fast flash but when I moved the housing it would go away. I pulled the tabs out a bit to allow better contact and the issue stopped.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually a bulb, as the others said, but 1 other possibility (though I have only seen it happen once myself) is the flasher unit itself. I'd make sure on the things already suggested, but if all that fails, might check it to be sure.

Victor Ray

Reaction score
I have the same problem. 06 has been wrecked in the front, replaced everything but the front fenders. I just cant figure out why the left side blinks fast. No burned out bulbs. why?
It does look a little dimmer as it flashes? I am clueless?
I created a separate ground wire same outcome.
Is there a
anyone who can point me in the right direction, help me please!!!!
Thank you for reading

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Download the 2006 Jeep KJ manual here, Section 8W has the Wiring Diagrams. The Index Page gives you the Component Locations so you can find the wiring for the turn-signals.

If a bulb on one side has blown or has a bad connection...the other bulb on that side will flash rapidly so generally the area you need to diagnose is the non-flashing side!;)

The Flasher Unit is unlikely to be the problem...you can see in the Wiring Diagrams that the Multifunction Switch activates Left or Right action within the Flasher unit which directs voltage to front and rear Turn lamps on one side or the other.
In other words Left Front and Left Rear are fed by the same wire and likewise for the Right side.

In the case of a frontal impact...which my Jeep had...wires up front can be damaged so as to short to chassis or to some other random wire or the wire could be open-circuit somewhere in the wire-harness.
Sometimes in this case the only way to resolve the problem is to cut off the feed wires at both ends...including any Splices...and replace the wiring with a new wire. I Have done this about 15 times on my Jeep!:eek:

Owners of 2006 CRDs need to check the wiring harness behind the Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket for damage to the harness in that area!;)

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Victor Ray

Reaction score
So I have another ? Why do the 4 ways work normal?
I di not understand that at all?
Stumped

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a CRD or a Gasser?

USA/Canada or Export?

Victor, which side, Left or Right is having the problem?

Are Front and Rear flashing but both very fast....unless you press the Hazard Switch then everything works fine...Left and Right and Front and Rear?

Last edited:

Victor Ray

Reaction score
Gas
US
Passenger side
Front and rear flash very fast.
When i turn on 4 ways all four flash at normal speed

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK if you have downloaded the 2006 Jeep KJ Manuals Section 8W-52-2 shows the Hazard Switch Combination Flasher.

You would need to pull the Hazard Switch out a bit from the Dashboard to get to the wiring...I have neve done this.:confused:

The Flasher unit is supplied with +12 volts by Fuse #11 15A from the battery and Fuse #39 10 From Run on the Ignition Switch.

Hazard Ground is Black Wire.

The Multifunction Switch switches Ground left to right to a contact to supply "Left Turn Switch Sense" or "Right Turn Switch Sense" ....in your case the failing Right side may be failing due to the Multifunction Switch failing.

The Hazard Switch then sends either Right Turn +12 V or Left Turn +12v out to the relevant Turn Lamps...the logics inside the Hazard Switch may be failing here.

The Hazard Switch also gets an input "Hazard Lamp Control" from the BCM....to work the Hazard Switch via the Key Fob.

So I would personally use these Wiring Diagrams to measure the voltages and grounds with a Multimeter to see where things are going wrong.;)

If you have the Hazard Switch pulled out and Ignition ON, the White/Light Blue wire comes from the Hazard Switch and supplies Ground to the Hazard Switch for Left Turn and the Light Blue/White wire ...if it gets Ground... will signal Right Turn.

Briefly touch each of these wires to ground in turn to see if the Right and Left signals work fine. If not then the Multifunction Switch is suspect.:(

The White/Dark Green wire from the Hazard Switch feeds the Left Turn Lamps while the White/Orange wire feeds the Right Turn Lamps. These wires must be OK as they do supply the Lamps when the Hazard Switch is depressed so the Hazard Switch may be faulty when supplying voltage to the Right side Lamps when the Right Turn lever is used.

Ideally get a cheap Multimeter and trace the wiring or pull out the Hazard Switch and test if the Multifunction switch is sending the White/Light Blue wire to ground for Left Turn and the Light Blue/White wire is doing the same for Right Turn Right turn.

Note: White/Light Blue means Solid White color with Light Blue stripe, Light Blue/White means Solid Light Blue Wire with White Stripe etc.;)

Last edited:

Victor Ray

Reaction score
I guess i forgot to mention, sorry! I replaced the 4way flasher in dash. Done id it?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so that rules out the Flasher Unit if it has now been replaced but do the checks I mentioned above to test the Multifunction Switch is OK by touching the White/Light Blue wire to Ground for Left Turn and touching the Light Blue/White wire to Ground for Right Turn.

If doing the above works then Multifunction Switch is bad.

While you are working in that area, unplug those two wires from the Multifunction Switch and from the Hazard Switch.
In other words these two wires should now be hanging in mid-air!

Now you will need a Multimeter set to Ohms setting and measure each of these wires one at a time with one meter lead on the wire and the other lead onto Ground.

Make sure you are not touching the leads with your bare hands while doing this as your body conductivity will interfere with the reading...use rubber gloves!;)

There should be no reading at all on your Meter as the wire should be hanging in space. Maybe you will find that the White/Light Blue wire...the Left side that works OK...is floating nicely but the Light Blue/White wire...Right side flashers that are failing...shows some connection to ground which is not good...ie. a slight short to Ground or some other random wire!:confused:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok please don't tell me you have now replaced the whole Jeep and the problem is still there!:eek:

Have you downloaded the 2006 Jeep Service manual?
Do you have a Digital Multimeter?

If you have the download and meter we can go through the logics in Section 8W...you are going to have to replace wiring ie. cut off some existing wiring at both end and also at Splices if needed.

Then you will need to fit new wires to replace the old.
This is because you probably have some harness damage somewhere where a wire or wires is shorting to chassis or some random other wire so you get weird things happening!:(

Been there done that!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok looking at the logics and knowing that the Hazard Switch Assembly and the Multifunction Switch have been replaced:

Left turn front and rear lamps work properly when Turn Stalk is turned Left.

If Turn Stalk is turned Right the right front and rear turn lamps flash rapidly.

If the hazard Switch is depressed the Left Turn Lamps and the Right Turn Lamps flash correctly.

The only section of wiring that is unique to the Turn Lamps when using the Multifunction Switch as apposed to depressing the Hazard Switch is the short section of wiring coming off the Multifunction Switch and going into the Hazard Switch. This on Page 8W-52-2 for 2006 KJ.

So the White/Light Blue wire for Left Turn appears to be functioning while the Light Blue/White wire for Right Turn appears to have a fault.

This wire does allow rapid flashing but may have a partial short or bad contact.

First swap over the Left and Right Bulbs in case there is some difference between Left and Right.

I suggest that this Light Blue/White wire should be cut off about an inch from the Multifunction Switch. The cut-off long section of wire should be touched onto Ground while Ignition is ON. In theory the Right Flashers should work properly as this is what the Multifunction Switch is supposed to do.

If grounding this wire does not achieve proper operation of the Right Front and Rear Indicator Lamps.....cut off this lead's other end about an inch short of the Hazard Switch Connector Pin #9.

So this Light Blue/White wire should be totally isolated.
Fit a new section of wire in place to replace the cut-off section.

Use Heat-shrink tubing over the connection ends, solder the wires together and slide up the tubing and heat it up. Before doing this final soldering step test if the Right turn signal works while the new wire ends are merely twisted together....if it still does not work then connect the original wire back in place and solder and insulate it.

Check that this Light Blue/White wire has a good connection where it plugs onto Pin #9 of the Hazard Switch.

If not fixed...Call for Support....I am going to have a Beer!;)

Last edited:

Victor Ray

Reaction score
Thank you, I have a lot todo!
I hope ypu enjoyed your beer!
You have been vey helpful!
I decided to replace the car. LOL
Just kidding!