Change default overdrive to off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely drive on highways that I need overdrive. Is there a way to make the default behavior when I start the engine to have overdrive off? My former car, a Chrysler T&C minivan, had 2 shift lever positions for Drive, one with OD, the other without, so it was just a matter of shifting, not remembering to press a button. I know there are some tricks for a few things on the KJ, so I'm hoping someone will tell me OD defaulting to off is one of them and how to do it.

Jim

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont ubderstand why it needs to be off. I always have mine on and the few times i turned it off it seems to shift funny. I know this doesnt help jim but i always wondered the logic behind having od off on a stock kj.

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on the left side of the shifter knob for the overdrive control button. Press the button while driving. The "OD off" light will indicate on the Dash Panel when the overdrive is turned off. But, it won't stay off when you turn off the ignition it will default to " on" next time you start the jeep.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on the left side of the shifter knob for the overdrive control button. Press the button while driving. The "OD off" light will indicate on the Dash Panel when the overdrive is turned off.

He knows that he wants it to be off when you start without having to press the button everytime.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, as far as I know there isn't a way to change the default setting to "Off." I'm pretty sure its a function of the BCM (and maybe the TCM) so it would require reprogramming.

Before I put in 4.10 gears I regularly drove with the OD off since the Jeep would lug around town in OD thanks to the oversize tires I was running. I got in the habit of hitting the button as soon as I pulled the shifter to Drive - and every once in a while I still do it (old habits die hard I guess...)

Maybe the same for you - just hit the button as you pull the lever to Drive and your OD will be off until you want to change it.

Sorry I can't help with the default setting...

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand why you want to do it, but I'm not aware of an aftermarket "default off" module. On my automatic vehicles, I'd always put the shifter in D, or switch O/D off if so equipped, when driving around town. With the trans shifting into O/D at such low speeds, it would keep hunting gears...up-down, up-down, up-down, which is both annoying and it generates more heat and wear on the trans. I'd pop it into O/D once going at least a constant 45 mph. Since O/D is controlled by a solenoid, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to tap into the wire that supplies the solenoid, and install an inline on-off switch. However, doing so may or may not trip an O/D solenoid error code.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont ubderstand why it needs to be off. I always have mine on and the few times i turned it off it seems to shift funny. I know this doesnt help jim but i always wondered the logic behind having od off on a stock kj.
Well, because...
With the trans shifting into O/D at such low speeds, it would keep hunting gears...up-down, up-down, up-down, which is both annoying and it generates more heat and wear on the trans.

Look on the left side of the shifter knob for the overdrive control button. Press the button while driving. The "OD off" light will indicate on the Dash Panel when the overdrive is turned off. But, it won't stay off when you turn off the ignition it will default to " on" next time you start the jeep.
You must be registered for see images
What he said.​
He knows that he wants it to be off when you start without having to press the button everytime.

Jim, as far as I know there isn't a way to change the default setting to "Off." I'm pretty sure its a function of the BCM (and maybe the TCM) so it would require reprogramming.
Bummer, I was hoping it was just one of those tips/tricks I hadn't learned about yet. I guess it'll just take a while to get used to.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jim

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I was hoping it was just one of those tips/tricks I hadn't learned about yet. I guess it'll just take a while to get used to...
I'm with you, Jim. I have developed the habit of pressing the button as soon as I'm ready to shift out of Park. I wish it were an "opt-in" instead of an "opt-out", though.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, Jim. I have developed the habit of pressing the button as soon as I'm ready to shift out of Park. I wish it were an "opt-in" instead of an "opt-out", though.

My previous Z28 and Vette both had traction control with an off button in the dash. For these cars, they do make modules that reverse the operation, off automatically instead of on, but I got into the habit of hitting the button from the start. I forgot to turn it off only once with the Camaro, and nearly got rearended when pulling out in traffic, nailing it, then t.c. kicked in and the car acted like I dropped an anchor. Never forgot after that, turning it off became second nature.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
An incident like that would tend to focus your thoughts from then on. :icon_lol:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's probably a pull down or a pull up signal.
definitely not a mechanical switch.
If you can figure out what it's doing electrically, you could theoretically turn it off automatically at start up.