CB radio and mounting recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay for the upcoming ride to Centrailia Pa, i was thinking of getting a cb radio, ive never used one before, so need opinions on which one to get, links if you have it, and since we all have the same vehicle where did you mount yours? thanks in advance.

Oh and what about an antennae for it, any links to a recommended one thanks

Last edited:

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Take a look at the pics. I bought a small CB and installed on the side of the center console. Bracket is a door jamb CB bracket from firestik... Antenna is a whip from the truck stop.

Attachments

• Picture 241.jpg
    Picture 241.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture 227.jpg
    Picture 227.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 120

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Take a look at the pics. I bought a small CB and installed on the side of the center console. Bracket is a door jamb CB bracket from firestik... Antenna is a whip from the truck stop.

The only problem with mounting a CB radio there is that it wears the seat fabric when you slide the passengers seat forward and backward.

Better off to mount it up above by the interior lights.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the fabrication section, I beleive there's 3 different mounting options listed. I mounted mine on the roof between the sun visors and ran the antenna out the back by the rear glass. There's no right way or wrong way it's personal preference.

As far as CB's are concerned, I picked up a Midland 1001z ($27.99) which is a small unit and it has RF gain & Squelch knobs, PA switch, pa output jack and external speaker jack and Instant channel 9. Can't beat it for the price.

Just like another poster stated a handheld CB will work just as well and you can even magnetic mount an external antenna to the roof (nothing permanent).

Also a few of the members will be bringing there GMRS/FRS radios with them also. That would be another option for you.

I used this fabrication thread (my pics were added there also):
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38404

First thing to do before you purchase anything is Google it my friend for reviews.

If you want specifics on my install PM me.

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay for the upcoming ride to Centrailia Pa, i was thinking of getting a cb radio, ive never used one before, so need opinions on which one to get, links if you have it, and since we all have the same vehicle where did you mount yours? thanks in advance.

I use a Cobra 25 WX with a Cobra power mic and a Cobra Mag. Ant. and it does me a good job.

Attachments

• IM000955.jpg
    IM000955.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are pictures of the rest of the set up

Attachments

• IM000957.jpg
    IM000957.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IM000953.jpg
    IM000953.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IM000956.jpg
    IM000956.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 68

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took up FRS but really didn't use it all that much it was mostly to call if help was needed, not really to chatter like the guys from Mt zoin off-road did with CB's when I went to Raush Creek with them in January. I didn't have a CB and now kind of wish I would have spent the extra to get one over the FRS. I will miss out on what the guys are talking about like last time if I go with Mt Zion again.

I was looking at hand helds and those units with the controls all on the mic and the remote box that goes under a seat or dash for a perm. install. has anyone used one of those?

hyson

Reaction score

Here is my contribution.

If you plan on going wheeling in Centralia's backroads, don't get such a high antenna. There are lots of low hanging branches as of last Saturday.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Galaxy 66 was too darn big to have on the side of the console, and above the mirror. 2 screws, one above each vent. The little basket was velcroed on, and there is a retractable mic cord. let go of mic, and it shoots back into place (CB has since been sold, going to throw a smaller one in there)
You must be registered for see images