Kit Recommendations and parts lists

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi All, Kinda' new to this. My '05 limited needs new ball joints (upper and lower) and I was thinking of going for a 1.5"-2" lift kit. Can someone make a recommendation for an all inclusive kit and do they typically include ball joints or should I get them done before hand. Thanks!

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Do it all at once while you’ve got the suspension apart. I don’t think there’s a complete kit available, but one or two of the regulars will be by today to set that straight. ;)

Lots of good reading here in this exact section on suspension lift info.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NEVER EVER do a spacer lift, especially on a KJ or KK
don't even think about one
Do OME springs and either OME OR Bilstein shocks
complete list has been posted on here many times by me and other
If you can not find then I will ost again for you
Depending on year , MOOG problem solver greaseable lower ball joints in front, upper you have to change the whole control arm

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do it all at once while you’ve got the suspension apart. I don’t think there’s a complete kit available, but one or two of the regulars will be by today to set that straight. ;)

Lots of good reading here in this exact section on suspension lift info.

OME has complete kits with one exception, well three , rear shocks are not long enough in that kit , plus no front or rear bumpstops included

Reaction score
NEVER EVER do a spacer lift,
dont even think about one
Do OME springs and either OME OR Bilstein shocks
complete list has been posted on here many times by me and other
If you can not find then I will ost again for you
Depending on year , MOOG problem solver greaseable lower ball joints in front, upper you have to change the whole control arm
Yes, I've heard about spacers. I am looking to change out the upper control arms and all. I'm asking if ball joints are included because I've seen some upper control arms include them and it's in the shop now and my mechanic wants to change them now. I didn't want to have him do them just to replace them later when I get the $$ to buy the lift. I will look for the list. I really appreciate it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
K80767 for lower ball joints by the way for your 05 ( greaseable )
Mevotech CMK3198 TTX for upper control arms , they are greaesable as well

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never buy from Detroit Axle and other companies like that is you actually want to have any thing last a while

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OME 2927 and 2948 springs
Bilstein 24-139168 shocks for front
Teraflex 1903200 front bumpstops ( two ) have to call them as they have them in stock but not online catalog
Bilstein 33-18552 is a popular rear shock 2 of them
4 hockey pucks regulation size ( these will be used for bumpstops in the rear with holes drilled through them also drill through lower spring perch ( center ) and held in place by 3/8 inch bolt 2.25 or 2.5 inches long with nuts and washer ( on bottom ) of course
regular bolt, no carriage bolts or counter sink them into hockey pucks You'll thank me if you ever have to remove them

sleazy rider

Reaction score
OME has complete kits with one exception, well three , rear shocks are not long enough in that kit , plus no front or rear bumpstops included
Honestly, I haven’t been to their site to actually check. When we talked about it, things got put off due to $$ and travel. Mine’s still bone stock suspension wise and will probably end up staying that way. It rides well and has enough clearance for what I normally do. Now with the JK in the stable, it’ll probably get the call for playtime.

Heck, I almost let the youngest son take it to use permanently.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I haven’t been to their site to actually check. When we talked about it, things got put off due to $$ and travel. Mine’s still bone stock suspension wise and will probably end up staying that way. It rides well and has enough clearance for what I normally do. Now with the JK in the stable, it’ll probably get the call for playtime.

Heck, I almost let the youngest son take it to use permanently.
Anything over 60000 on a KJ stock suspension is junk
Heck at 200 miles on my 04 when I bought it new it was done, could not stand the soft ride bouncing over railroad tracks, pot holes etc
That is when I started gathering parts to lift it
What does your KJ measure , left front, middle of hub to bottom of flares
Ive had them come into my shop at just a bit over 70,000 and be almost two inches lower than stock height
Front springs were only rated at 310 lb where they should of been 340 to 350 lb

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Don’t misunderstand me. It’s stock height, but all refreshed with good stuff. I posted heights in my journal thread when I did it 5k miles ago.

Reaction score
Anything over 60000 on a KJ stock suspension is junk
Heck at 200 miles on my 04 when I bought it new it was done, could not stand the soft ride bouncing over railroad tracks, pot holes etc
That is when I started gathering parts to lift it
What does your KJ measure , left front, middle of hub to bottom of flares
Ive had them come into my shop at just a bit over 70,000 and be almost two inches lower than stock height
Front springs were only rated at 310 lb where they should of been 340 to 350 lb
I'm going to check that measurement today. I'm sure you're right. A better ride is really all I'm looking for....

Dirtyrat

Reaction score
Hi All, Kinda' new to this. My '05 limited needs new ball joints (upper and lower) and I was thinking of going for a 1.5"-2" lift kit. Can someone make a recommendation for an all inclusive kit and do they typically include ball joints or should I get them done before hand. Thanks!

Dirtyrat

Reaction score
Don’t get the rocky roads upper control arms. Ball joints suck. Don’t seat all the way down on my kk. I went with the ome 3” lift kit.

Reaction score
Don’t get the rocky roads upper control arms. Ball joints suck. Don’t seat all the way down on my kk. I went with the ome 3” lift kit.
Thank you. Do you notice any negative effects on handling with the 3" lift? This is my daily driver and have concerns about making too big a change...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Do you notice any negative effects on handling with the 3" lift? This is my daily driver and have concerns about making too big a change...
What I posted will give you 2.5 inches of lift and will ride and handle better than it did brand new
Ive done over 70 with the above mentioned parts and never a compalint with handling or ride
And yes stay away from Rocky Road

Reaction score
What I posted will give you 2.5 inches of lift and will ride and handle better than it did brand new
Ive done over 70 with the above mentioned parts and never a compalint with handling or ride
And yes stay away from Rocky Road
I really appreciate everyone's input. I think I'm about to start down the rabbit hole... Could you give me a a recommendation for front hub assemblies? Moog?

bp87

Reaction score
OME 2927 and 2948 springs
Bilstein 24-139168 shocks for front
Teraflex 1903200 front bumpstops ( two ) have to call them as they have them in stock but not online catalog
Bilstein 33-18552 is a popular rear shock 2 of them
4 hockey pucks regulation size ( these will be used for bumpstops in the rear with holes drilled through them also drill through lower spring perch ( center ) and held in place by 3/8 inch bolt 2.25 or 2.5 inches long with nuts and washer ( on bottom ) of course
regular bolt, no carriage bolts or counter sink them into hockey pucks You'll thank me if you ever have to remove them
Is there any alternative to "Bilstein 33-18552". I'm in Canada. Cant seem to get this from my local shop

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any alternative to "Bilstein 33-18552". I'm in Canada. Cant seem to get this from my local shop
If you can get Old Man Emu up there, try the N132L for the rear.

Latest posts

Members online