CB Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go the CB put in on Thursday with Stoney. Broke some drill bits and finished the job with self tapping screws lol. Sadly I couldn't mount it where i wanted because its a hunkin CB and just wouldnt fit good anywhere else, theres like no room behind the libby dash. boring placement but its ok.

You must be registered for see images attach

Always along for the ride. Yeahhh moose.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree but it'd be a pain in the ass to set channels and adjust volumes and stuff. not throwing away the idea tho.

Nope, not a pain at all, and i can make all adjustments without even taking my eyes off the road for a second. To me glancing over at it has always been safer than looking down to see whats going on. Had it mounted the same way in the minivan the KJ replaced. This picture was taken before the final adjustment to aim it towards the driver, the screws sit in slots in the bracket to turn it side to side.

Last edited:

n8fis

Reaction score
I'm a Ham Radio operator and I just installed a two meter
radio in my 04. I installed a through the roof 1/4 wave antenna.
That was the easy part. Finding a spot for the rig was another
story. I ended up mounting it on the drivers side lower right
above the gas peddle. The rig is much smaller than your
pictured CB rig.

I gotta tell you, I've installed lots of extras in cars and trucks
over the years. My 04 Liberty is the hardest one I have ever
installed anything.

Good luck..

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go the CB put in on Thursday with Stoney. Broke some drill bits and finished the job with self tapping screws lol. Sadly I couldn't mount it where i wanted because its a hunkin CB and just wouldnt fit good anywhere else, theres like no room behind the libby dash. boring placement but its ok.

Always along for the ride. Yeahhh moose.

I gotta know where you got that antenna mount!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a Ham Radio operator and I just installed a two meter
radio in my 04. I installed a through the roof 1/4 wave antenna.
That was the easy part. Finding a spot for the rig was another
story. I ended up mounting it on the drivers side lower right
above the gas peddle. The rig is much smaller than your
pictured CB rig.

I gotta tell you, I've installed lots of extras in cars and trucks
over the years. My 04 Liberty is the hardest one I have ever
installed anything.

Good luck..

Really? The KJ was the easiest i have ever done, and i have done installs in quite a few of my own vehicles as well as others and FD vehicles, etc. This took me about an hour start to finish, and that including fabricating the mount for the radio body and the head and pulling apart all the trim for routing wiring, which was the hardest part since i never took one of these KJ's apart before.

Took only a matter of minutes to run power through the firewall, it was like it was made for adding stuff like this with those unused body plugs, how convenient! Eventually i plan on installing an EVIC and the i will make a nicer looking mount for the control head, this one is basically temporary to get it on the air until i do that upgrade.

Liberty06

Reaction score
I put mine under my seat and just hooked into an external speaker jack I put the speaker on the console with Velcro and can hide it when not in use...

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
just a thought,what do you all do about mud,water,snow,etc.getting on radio under seat?
trash bag?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought,what do you all do about mud,water,snow,etc.getting on radio under seat?
trash bag?

Don't have any problems with that, but then i don't go mudding, i don't drive through lakes, and what little snow might get in won't make it to the radio. :p

There is a bump in the floor between under the seat and the area of the floor where your feet rest, so it would keep stuff from running back if you really dragged a lot in on your shoes. Plus the radio isn't sitting right on the floor, mines up about 1.5" off the carpet. If i got into water deep enough to submerge the radio under the seat i got other worries at that point because the floor would be flooded.

The radio under the seat of my wife's car has been there for two winters now, never got wet. And the kids normally drag a lot more in and out on their shoes in the car.

Last edited:

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have any problems with that, but then i don't go mudding, i don't drive through lakes, and what little snow might get in won't make it to the radio. :p

There is a bump in the floor between under the seat and the area of the floor where your feet rest, so it would keep stuff from running back if you really dragged a lot in on your shoes. Plus the radio isn't sitting right on the floor, mines up about 1.5" off the carpet. If i got into water deep enough to submerge the radio under the seat i got other worries at that point because the floor would be flooded.

The radio under the seat of my wife's car has been there for two winters now, never got wet. And the kids normally drag a lot more in and out on their shoes in the car.

Hi:D

That's amazing!! Mines exactly the same!!!
Yaesu 7800 under the driver's seat and remote head mounted to the ash tray. Radio about 1 1/2" off the floor.:rolleyes:

Oliver
ZL3OOC

Attachments

• 04 05 09_0150.jpg
    04 05 09_0150.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi:D

That's amazing!! Mines exactly the same!!!
Yaesu 7800 under the driver's seat and remote head mounted to the ash tray. Radio about 1 1/2" off the floor.:rolleyes:

Oliver
ZL3OOC

Cool, how did you mount yours? I made a bracket that goes from the seats side across the width of the radio bracket, and then it bends down and rests on the carpet, a big "L" shape laying on its side that's bolted to the seat.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, how did you mount yours? I made a bracket that goes from the seats side across the width of the radio bracket, and then it bends down and rests on the carpet, a big "L" shape laying on its side that's bolted to the seat.

Hi,
A metal plate Velcro'd to the floor and a slightly longer than factory bracket bolted to that.
The head is on a little L shaped alluminium bracket that is double sided taped into the ashtray and the head is taped to that with the help of a small self tapper to firm it up.
Sound OK? Seems to work!!:D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
A metal plate Velcro'd to the floor and a slightly longer than factory bracket bolted to that.
The head is on a little L shaped alluminium bracket that is double sided taped into the ashtray and the head is taped to that with the help of a small self tapper to firm it up.
Sound OK? Seems to work!!:D

Sounds good! I was just curious how you engineered it, always neat to see how others tackled the same thing.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...on the antenna thing...here's what I did:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36803

And i have a Cobra 19, one of the smallest on the market and still it's on the right hand side of the center console, just the best place for a KJ.

You must be registered for see images

And Cobra does make a model CB like that fancy HAM stuff you guys have :D

The 75wx.

You must be registered for see images

Hey there ya go! I remember back in the days there was a few choices for CB's with handheld control heads like that, didn't know anyone was still making a current model.

That would look good in the KJ.

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Cobra 25 WX and just stuck t between the passenger seat and console with the Magnetic ant. ran down behind the door seal. with a small speaker on the aux. speaker jack hooked to the sun visor on the drivers side .