Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited (3.7). It has 219,000.

My check engine light came on and threw a knock sensor code which I had replaced yesterday. The mechanic told me that there were actually 2 codes, the other for the catalytic converter. And therefore, it is possible the check engine like could come on again.

Sure enough today before I hit the 50 mile mark and the light was back on.

I called the mechanic and he told me to return the car where he confirmed the same code as yesterday for the Cat. He states that my vehicle requires a Jeep part because the cat is "curved" and not straight like the after market version.

Jeeps part is over $1200!! The after market universal part is a mere $200.

Can anyone confirm for me whether the Cat for the 2002 Jeep Liberty is the curved one from the dealer or if I use the universal version and save my wallet the beating???

Just a chick who knows NOTHING about engines and does not want to get ripped off. Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 3 cats on a '02 KJ,2 main and one "catch all" that is not monitored.No "universal" cat will work in your setup for monitored cat's.See you list CA as your state so yeah your pretty stuck buying the correct cat system from the dealership.They do make direct fit aftermarket cat's for the '02 but can not be shipped or installed in CA due to not being able to pass smog out there.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that *****!!! But as you said, I am pretty much stuck. Too boot, my registration arrived in the mail today too. And YES, I do need a smog check this year. (Today has been the day from hell - seriously!!)

Two questions:

1) Since one cat needs to be replaced, is it likely the other will go too given the high mileage??
2) Assuming the part is $1200, how much should I expect to pay for installation??

I am just trying to determine if it is worth the cost to keep it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Jeep and it has served me well. Just wondering if it is time to retire the old gal??

Thanks for your insight.

Much appreciated,
J

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get some used ones at a salvage yard?

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt I can get my mechanic to do that

Call around to some salvage yards, see if you can find them. If so, they should pull them out for you and all you have to do is pick em up. Drop them off with your mechanic and he can install them. ;)

I go to salvage yards all the time. Got my transmission, transfer case, fuel pump, and other things at them. Way to save some bucks if you are tight on cash. Most have a 30 day money back deal, but no guarantee the parts will last long.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call around to some salvage yards, see if you can find them. If so, they should pull them out for you and all you have to do is pick em up. Drop them off with your mechanic and he can install them. ;)

I go to salvage yards all the time. Got my transmission, transfer case, fuel pump, and other things at them. Way to save some bucks if you are tight on cash. Most have a 30 day money back deal, but no guarantee the parts will last long.

I agree as well.

and Daveos. Where do you go with 30 day money back at Guarantee's at salvage yards? I never heard of such a thing to be honest. Hell around here, if i walking into a salvage yard with fuses in my tool box and they see them in there on the way out. i either have to leave them at the yard or pay for them b/c "i could have taken them out of a vehicle in yard. "

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree as well.

and Daveos. Where do you go with 30 day money back at Guarantee's at salvage yards? I never heard of such a thing to be honest. Hell around here, if i walking into a salvage yard with fuses in my tool box and they see them in there on the way out. i either have to leave them at the yard or pay for them b/c "i could have taken them out of a vehicle in yard. "

Sounds like you go to some up-tight salvage yards. A lot of salvage yards operate on ebay and offer money back guarantees. Check sell numbers and feedback number. I have gotten parts that way. I mostly use a salvage yard up here near Salt Lake City, and they give a 30 day guarantee on all parts they sell. Also really nice people who will let you haggle over prices. I got an 231 transfer case from them with 20K on it for 280$. Shop around.

These are the guys I use most of the time : http://www.westernautowrecking.com/

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you go to some up-tight salvage yards. A lot of salvage yards operate on ebay and offer money back guarantees. Check sell numbers and feedback number. I have gotten parts that way. I mostly use a salvage yard up here near Salt Lake City, and they give a 30 day guarantee on all parts they sell. Also really nice people who will let you haggle over prices. I got an 231 transfer case from them with 20K on it for 280$. Shop around.

These are the guys I use most of the time : Western Sandy Metal Works and Quality Used Parts

lucky ****** lol
There is no price haggle at ours either. I got harry's you pull it over here. Which is the biggest junk yard around and claim to be the worlds biggest auto salvage yard.

Last edited:

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Western Auto Wrecking did not even have the part!!

That was just one salvage yard of thousands in the country. You probably have some close by where you live. Grab a phone book or do a google search for "salvage yard" or "wrecking yard" with the local town you are in, in the search. Should turn up something. I know for a fact that western has at least 3 KJ's on their lot, probably just already sold the cats on all of them.

Didnt realize there was an Ontario, California.

Here are some salvage yards close by Ontario, California.

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Junk+Yards/S-CA/T-Ontario/

Call around, see if you can find it. Usually a salvage yard, if they dont have the part, can tell you a close by salvage yard that does have it. Make sure they do the part retrieval, and see if they have any money-back deals. Takes some effort, but should be able to find it.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The twin TA's are at Ontario,the wild west. Concerning cats;I am thinking that new would be the way to go in CA.
1-they are a pain in the back to change out.
2-why do it twice if you get messed up ones.
3-bet there is some rule/law against using old ones in CA.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a local salvage yard. In CA slavage companies CANNOT sell catalytic converters it is against the law due to the strong emissions requirement here.

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question...I have a 2004 Liberty and the cat is fine at the moment but does the 2004 Libby require the $1,200 cat or the cheaper after market one?

Thanks,
Dan

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I have learned, I think that depends on the emission requirements in your state and the type of cat in your vehicle. Unfortunately for me, it looks like I HAVE to have the one Jeep makes.

Latest posts

Members online