Case of the missing oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok went to check the oil the other day and it was not reading so after many try`s i took it for a drive .. Came home parked , Waited a hour checked again . Still not registering .. So checked the coolant to make sure there was no oil in it .. and none, check the valve covers , none , Check the exhaust , none wiped in side the tail pipe nothing , no smoking either . Put a quart in and still nothing ! checked the oil pan for leaks , clean . Check oil filter . nothing WTF is going on with this libby ?

Midgear

Reaction score
your best bet would be to do an oil change and fill it with the proper amount of oil, then check the dip stick. if it's still not showing any oil, your Jeep is TOYING with you, in which case it should be disciplined.

I know my Jeep eats oil and theres no signs of leaks or oil in the coolant.. it gobbles it up- I check it quite often and add a quart whenever needed.. while changing after 3-5k miles.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your best bet would be to do an oil change and fill it with the proper amount of oil, then check the dip stick. if it's still not showing any oil, your Jeep is TOYING with you, in which case it should be disciplined.

I know my Jeep eats oil and theres no signs of leaks or oil in the coolant.. it gobbles it up- I check it quite often and add a quart whenever needed.. while changing after 3-5k miles.

Well she just came due at 4k well she just hit 4k since the last guess i will try that next . after checking the plugs , what oil do you recommend ?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that if it wasn't registering on the dip, you'd have an oil light.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be a lot concerned if nothing was showing on the dipstick.
I would want to get fresh oil and filter and get it back to the full line, and consider getting a compression check done. The you know what state this motor is in.
How many miles on the KJ?

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what my engine was doing.
Wasn't burning it, no drips, no sign of leaks inside the engine compartment.
Next thing I know, oil light, drive for a few days until I could afford oil, then, bam, thrown rod, spun bearings, dead engine.

Engine guy said it could have been the sending unit.

It is sitting until the oil is changed .

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would be a lot concerned if nothing was showing on the dipstick.
I would want to get fresh oil and filter and get it back to the full line, and consider getting a compression check done. The you know what state this motor is in.
How many miles on the kj?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is sitting until the oil is changed .

Good idea. The last thing I would do if I didn't see oil on the dipstick would be to drive it. Check carefully under the engine for oil. Especially around the oil filter. If it is the sending unit then you should find oil all over the oil filter. Or am I wrong?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(hijack on)
If I broke my wrist my sex life would go to hell
(hijack off)

(hijack on)
Okay first, if your wrist is broken don't try to use your left. There are trained professionals that can easily do the job for you....for a fee :D
(hijack off)

And to address the other issue of no oil on the dipstick;
You must be registered for see images

this does not mean your Jeep is low on gravy lol3.gif

It is curious that there's no oil on your on your dipstick. You are pushing it all the way in aren't you? It could be your low gravy, I mean low oil indicator isn't working.

You are wise to park it to prevent permanent damage. Likely an oil & filter change is best because you will know exactly how much to add. Adding more oil until it show on the dipstick can also result in major problems (so I've been told).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend that you take the vehicle in for an oil change, but first add oil to bring it up on the dipstick. Bad idea to run with the KJ low on oil.
While at the shop for oil and filter change, ask them to inspect for any leaks and around the oil filter/sensor/seals. It is a lot easier to do a good inspection when the Kj is on a lift.
If you have skid plates, I would want to remove them and have a better look then.
As far as oil, I do not know what you have been running with but a really good oil choice would be http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_5W-30.aspx
This would clean things up and be a great wear protector.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 155,000 miles you are burning oil,may not be enough to see coming out of the tail pipe,if no visable leaks are found.The culprit is the valve guide seals.Try some high mileage oil and step it up to 10w30,that stuff actually works(not 100% but does help) for 20,000miles-30,000miles.Cheap fix for a expensive fix.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 155,000 miles you are burning oil,may not be enough to see coming out of the tail pipe,if no visable leaks are found.The culprit is the valve guide seals.Try some high mileage oil and step it up to 10w30,that stuff actually works(not 100% but does help) for 20,000miles-30,000miles.Cheap fix for a expensive fix.

Something isn`t right im going to do the oil change . Friday until then she will sit , Thank goodness i got the subie to drive lol , Going to use castrol high mileage 10w30 And see how that does .. I have made up my mind to buy a salvage project after my cast is off . Found a 05 Libby with 36k on it Just going to buy part by part , Since it is only 2k and needs a fender bumper cover , paint and a airbag :p , Haven`t put one together in 10 + years it will be fun ! lol

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeppower, when you drain the oil, let us know how much came out of the pan. Just curious.