Case of the missing oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Carrie,
Am I right in thinking a quart is about 1 litre?
Just thinking, if the engine holds about 4.5 litres (About 1 Imperial gallon) and the dipstick min and max marks are at the bottom of the stick and you have put 1 litre in and its still not on the stick it could have just needed a bit more than a litre to get it on the stick and then another litre to get it to max which would still leave about 2.5 litres in the sump which might be just enough to not kick the oil light on (which works on pressure not amount). At the end of the day if its not on the stick, its either on your driveway and you are stood in it or it needs a bit more in!! I can't see it being anything else unless I am missing something obvious, cos it has been a long day!! Hehe. I would be tempted to put some more in and see if it shows on the stick and take it from there. Just my thoughts.
Hope your wrist is doing ok.

Steve :D

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Carrie,
Am I right in thinking a quart is about 1 litre?
Just thinking, if the engine holds about 4.5 litres (About 1 Imperial gallon) and the dipstick min and max marks are at the bottom of the stick and you have put 1 litre in and its still not on the stick it could have just needed a bit more than a litre to get it on the stick and then another litre to get it to max which would still leave about 2.5 litres in the sump which might be just enough to not kick the oil light on (which works on pressure not amount). At the end of the day if its not on the stick, its either on your driveway and you are stood in it or it needs a bit more in!! I can't see it being anything else unless I am missing something obvious, cos it has been a long day!! Hehe. I would be tempted to put some more in and see if it shows on the stick and take it from there. Just my thoughts.
Hope your wrist is doing ok.

Unless you are pouring oil into the washer bottle or pouring oil into the engine and checking the transmission dipstick?
And yes I am just being silly!! :rolleyes:

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are pouring oil into the washer bottle or pouring oil into the engine and checking the transmission dipstick?
And yes I am just being silly!! :rolleyes:

Lol pouring it into the oil hole my friend . She will be drained tomorrow am since she is due for a new filter . then i am swapping oil brands , Using Moble high mileage 10w 30 instead of the 5w ... Thin stuff i used this time maby also use some lucas as well .. I will post what comes out of the drain to . Or should i use 10w 40?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use 10W30, either the Castrol High Mileage or Valvoline Maxlife. Change oil and filter, dump in 5 qts, and then start the engine to circulate through the filter. Shut it off, and after it has sat for awhile to allow the oil to drain back, see what it reads on the stick. It should read full (at least mine does), but if it doesn't, at least you'll have a reference point. Let us know how it goes.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just sharing my experience, but i have a van eating about 1 qt/500-600 miles. it is fouling out one of the plugs, so the engine is starting to miss. it's already been re-ringed, had the heads rebuilt, and has had two PCV valves replaced. it's going back in tuesday to get looked at, as it's been doing this for nearly 30K miles, and so far it hasn't been fixed.

it's only got 74K miles, doesn't smoke, and doesn't leak a drop. even if they do fix it, i'm concerned now about future emissions problems, as i can only imagine how much carbon is built-up in the exhaust by now.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok drained the oil was 2 1/2 quarts low added 5 quarts of new and a new filter rechecked , After driving 20 miles looks good as of now

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok drained the oil was 2 1/2 quarts low added 5 quarts of new and a new filter rechecked , After driving 20 miles looks good as of now

Nice to know my crystal balls still work!! \\:D/ Hehe
Glad you got sorted Carrie.
Keep an eye on it every couple of days to start with and then once a week after that and you will notice if it starts to drop.
Its a lot cheaper to add a drop of oil now and again rather than an engine!!
And quicker as well........... Hehe
Hope the wrist is doing ok.
Take Care,

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to know my crystal balls still work!! \\:D/ Hehe
Glad you got sorted Carrie.
Keep an eye on it every couple of days to start with and then once a week after that and you will notice if it starts to drop.
Its a lot cheaper to add a drop of oil now and again rather than an engine!!
And quicker as well........... Hehe
Hope the wrist is doing ok.
Take Care,

Yes so glad it wasn`t as bad as i was thinking ! You win 100 points :p deffently keep track of it this time ! The wrist is ok the cast failing lol

You take care 2 buddy , Don`t be a stranger !

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 quarts and it wasn't measuring on the dipstick? Wow, ok, I would have thought you'd still have a small amount, maybe 1/4- 3/4" on the stick...

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 quarts and it wasn't measuring on the dipstick? Wow, ok, I would have thought you'd still have a small amount, maybe 1/4- 3/4" on the stick...

Yeah it was odd ! but just looked and smelled like dirty oil ..Had some sludge . treated it lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.