Capability of KJ in stock form?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lots of plans for my KJ (Frankenlift, sliders, etc.) but currently it is basically stock - 2007 Sport 6 spd. There's a trail I want to try in northern Mexico - 1200 ft to 3700 ft. in elevation in 3 miles, Rancho de Cielo Biosphere. Steep, a lot of broken limestone rock, low range crawling - I've seen Nissan Pathfinders with 265 tires make it. I know, don't even think about it without skid plates (first modification), but do you think my stock KJ has enough ground clearance? The tires are Yokohama 245/70 ATS. Frankenlift gets installed summer, 2010.

Thanks for your comments.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure as I haven't seen the area, but if stock Pathgrinders do it, get skids/hooks and maybe do a clevis lift on the front (3/8"), and maybe then it's ok...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some skids and be ready to beat the snot out of that front skid. It will get used a lot. Dont know till ya try it. Just dont go alone.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised where a stock height Liberty with good tires and full skids can go. The driver's skill also plays a big part. Here are some PICTURES from Moab of Silverdiesel's Liberty, with only a 1" lift....

Last edited:

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised where a stock height Liberty with good tires and full skids can go. The driver's skill also plays a big part. Here are some PICTURES from Moab of Silverdiesel's Liberty, with only a 1" lift....

what exactly is involved to do a 1" lift?

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moab pics are very impressive

The Moabs pics are very impressive. Some of the acsents and descents are steeper than what I'll be encountering. What I will have to contend with are long grades, ruts, and lots of broken chunks of limestone - jagged edges. There are two other vehicles going - both heavily loaded 1 ton Dodge Power Wagons. They do not finesse their way up - more like bounce up the mountain on ground clearance and brute strength, very unlike the long travel suspension of the Liberty, which does a much better job at conforming to the ground surface. I am worried, though, about ground clearance. When I can afford it (summer) in goes the Frankenlift and a good set of 245/75 tires. Thanks for the images - I studied every one.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The very first time I went into the woods I was bone stock on the P205/70R16 all season tires. I followed an 89 YJ with a 4" lift and 33" tires.

So I'd have to say Yes a stock Liberty can do pretty good for itself but you have to pick your trail carefully and chose good lines with the help of a spotter.
Don't expect to try a trail with large rocks or deep water/mud crossings.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to moab stock ( with skids) the first year i had it and did fine.Seven mile rim,fins and things. Moderate to difficult trails I did use the skids alot but Did just fine and had a great time. So as long as you go with other rigs you will have a lot of fun.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At bare minimum you need full skids and front and rear tow points. Other than that, I find the Liberty to be a pretty capable vehicle.