Need advice installing skid plates on Liberty, addtl. preps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I own a 2007 Jeep Liberty 4wd 6 spd, pretty much base model with few extras. Now I'm starting to think about moderate off road and need some advice on installing skid plates. Mopar accessories lists 4 skid plates for a total of about $350. Are there any difficulties in installation such as the bumper has to come off and/or and chassis hardware has to be removed first to make room for the skid plates? Any negatives to having the skid plates installed (reduced ground clearance, catch a lot of mud and or debris)?

My use is not for extreme rock crawling or mud bogging, but rutted mountain trails (4wd, low range) in northern Mexico and similar in U.S. natl. forests. Am at a big decision right now - invest some time and $$$$ in the Liberty or go to a Wrangler 2dr of Chevy SWB (what I used to drive) to get the ground clearance. What I really like about the Liberty is the coil spring suspension and the good wheel travel. Mine does not have a locker.

What I could use is a little mroe ground clearance. Current tires are 245/70 Yokohama AT.
Any comments are greatly appreciated. Next May I intend to take the Liberty north to WVA and PA to photograph waterfalls in the Appalachian Mountains. I imagine rutted roads with loads of shale rock.

Thanks.

Gene Paull,
Brownsville, Texas

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi (welcome)

As far as the skids go, the only thing you may have to remove is a rear receiver hitch if you have one, to install the gas tank skid. Then reinstall the rear hitch.

Ground clearance options:

1. OME springs and new shocks on all corners $650-700

2. Rusty's spring lift kit $ 475

3. Daystar poly spacer kit $200

4. Simple clevis lift on front $ free!! nets about 1/2" lift front

Start reading thru the lift section and do your homework to decide the best way to go for your situation.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's light at the end of the tunnel with the vehicle payments, so we stay with the Liberty. First things first, we'll do the Mopar skid plates. It sounds like this is a bolt on job so I should be able to handle it.

The vehicle lift is going to take a little more time. I have been reading the posts - it seems like there can be issues from everything from bump stops to brake lines. I'm think of something like OME springs/shocks but I'm going to have to research more on all the intricate things involved in a lift. Probably won't be able to do this by myself.

Thanks for the comments.

mrpink417

Reaction score
I do believe if you buy all the parts and such you can take it to like an off-road shop and they'll install it for you for a price.

Really? Total mind blower there...

I think he was asking about installing them himself.

p!nK

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle lift is going to take a little more time. I have been reading the posts - it seems like there can be issues from everything from bump stops to brake lines. I'm think of something like OME springs/shocks but I'm going to have to research more on all the intricate things involved in a lift. Probably won't be able to do this by myself.

Here are some options for you to consider -

Frankenlift

JeepinbyAL

I've heard they're both great people.

As for the Frankenlift, I also know the front spring / shock (aka; strut) assemblies are pre assembled so you won't have to pay someone additional charges to compress them like you will buying the springs / shocks separately. Of course if you pay someone to install the lift, they might give you a better price with the fronts being pre-assembled?