Can front gear and rear gear ratio be different on 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know i'm an idiot when it comes to automotive.

I heard front stock diff fits up to 4.10 and rear fits 4.56. Is there a reason why i havent seen anybody put 4.10 on front and 4.56 on rear?

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Glad you said what I was thinking. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way it could be done. Farm tractors do it. Is to have a tire smaller than the back to make up the difference in gearing. But unlike the tractor manufacturer who can say I need a tire this size so it would work perfectly. You would be stick guessing and most like would never find the exact size needed.

That's why 4x4's and Awd vehicles shouldn't have more than a 4/32 difference in tred depth between the front and the back tires. It can put one end in a bind and start causing dammage.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to get 4.10&4.11 now. Been running 235/85r16s on stock gear.

Just imagine though, 30 inch tires on front and 35s on rear with 4.88 on back lol

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the guys on the Nissan Titan forum bought a brand new 2015 Titan and knew something was not right the moment he picked it up. Turns out the rear diff was 3.63 gears and the front was 2.94 lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
About to get 4.10&4.11 now. Been running 235/85r16s on stock gear.

Just imagine though, 30 inch tires on front and 35s on rear with 4.88 on back lol

Mud Boggers do it all of the time, different size tires front and rear and different ratios
Don't have my specs anymore from the one I built, had an old guy ( my age now:icon_lol:) setup everything for me , but of course turning high RPMs and flying through the pit it never had a chance to confuse it self anyways:ROFLJest:
200 feet went by really quick

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way it could be done. Farm tractors do it. Is to have a tire smaller than the back to make up the difference in gearing. But unlike the tractor manufacturer who can say I need a tire this size so it would work perfectly. You would be stick guessing and most like would never find the exact size needed.

That's why 4x4's and Awd vehicles shouldn't have more than a 4/32 difference in tred depth between the front and the back tires. It can put one end in a bind and start causing dammage.

Except for Audi and Subaru with their complete true 50/50 AWD system the tolerance is nearly less than zero. One reason that has deterred me from Subaru despite being one of the extremely FEW Japanese cars I like.

Latest posts

Members online