C8.25 carrier swap question (Need a gear guru)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought a lock-right locker to install into my 8.25. Come to find out I have a LSD, and the lock-right isnt going to work. I'm purchasing an entire rear axle (open diff) from my buddys junk liberty with 90k (60 less than mine). Im trying to guage whats more of a pain in the ass...

1) Cleaning up the replacement rear end just swapping the whole thing over. This will involve painting it with chasis saver, swapping over all the brake components (mine are new), and fighting with all this mostly by myself. Ill have to buy some saw horses or something for the prep

2) Doing a carrier only swap. I'll need to check backlash and all that once the carrier is in, something I haven't done before. Would need to purchase a dial indicator. I would swap my ring gear onto replacement carrier obviously. What I am most concerned with is having to adjust pinion depth. My hope would be that I do not have to, I really don't want to mess with that. I don't mind shimming from left to right though.

Thoughts?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for number one. Depending on your year KJ, you might only have one brake line to disconnect. Then just swap the hard lines on the axle if you so choose. Everything else is super easy to disconnect. And that'll give you no down time!

The latter option sounds like it would be more trouble than worth. That being said...are you having the spare axle professionally rebuilt? Or are you still going to have to go through the motions of installing the locker yourself?

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a lunchbox locker, so nothing would need to be touched professionally so to speak. It just replaces the side/spider gears in the carrier. And I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible, so if I don't HAVE to pay anyone for something I am going to do my best not to.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a lunchbox locker, so nothing would need to be touched professionally so to speak. It just replaces the side/spider gears in the carrier. And I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible, so if I don't HAVE to pay anyone for something I am going to do my best not to.

When we do rear diff swaps here I remove calipers hang them up never disconnecting the lines, remove e-brake cables, brake line from diff , speed sensor wires etc , doesn't take long at all
of course more involved on the 06-07s

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with the Traclok?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with the Traclok?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No, only that it isn't a full on locker. I did get some diff chatter from time to time but usually only when it's super cold outside.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till you run the lunchbox locker,you will miss the chatter.
The way the tag read (when it was still on) made me believe it was an open diff. Pretty sure at some point in its life the diff needed service and the carrier was replaced with an LSD. I didn't check the wheels, easy step that I missed. But its a bare bones 5spd sport, wouldn't have bet in a million years it had one. And I wanted something I could install myself with minimal downtime. Had I known it was an LSD already I would have gone with a full carrier setup.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they really THAT bad?
From what I can gather the people that have them installed think they are fine. If they ever go with a full carrier or selectable they suddenly think the lunboxes are crap. It's about a 50/50 spread. So I decided to see for myself.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can gather the people that have them installed think they are fine. If they ever go with a full carrier or selectable they suddenly think the lunboxes are crap. It's about a 50/50 spread. So I decided to see for myself.

Just wondering if this would be a good move for me. It's not my DD, sounds like I might be able to install it myself, it's cheap (obviously you get what you pay for), and anything is better off road than an open diff. Would help immensely to pull my waverunner out of the sand ramp too.

I just don't want to COMPLETELY ruin the dry-pavement driveability.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

If the only thing you ate your whole life was hamburger you would think it's fine
but when you finally someday taste a well prepared T-Bone, well then you know the difference.

Lunch box lockers are like the spacer lifts may get the job done, but............

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this would be a good move for me. It's not my DD, sounds like I might be able to install it myself, it's cheap (obviously you get what you pay for), and anything is better off road than an open diff. Would help immensely to pull my waverunner out of the sand ramp too.

My LSD will be for sale once I get it out. I'd let it go for $50 plus shipping. You won't have to mess with the pinion, the pinion depth is more for a "gear set" than it is the carrier. So you would swap your ring gear to the new carrier and then adjust the shims on either side of the diff bearings. It's more involved than a lunch box for sure but the more you read and watch you tube videos the less daunting it seems.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Have to get used to letting off the gas in turns, in town going right or left on streets let off gas partially coast through the turn then back on again. Sometimes lots of clicking/ clattering
Just a couple of things some get used to others don't .
I took a YJ in on trade one time , had a lunch box, ended up removing it since everyone that tried it out complained about the racheting noises. . Next person bought it .

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to get used to letting off the gas in turns, in town going right or left on streets let off gas partially coast through the turn then back on again. Sometimes lots of clicking/ clattering
I took a YJ in on trade one time , had a lunch box, ended up removing it since everyone that tried it out complained about the racheting noises. . Next person bought it .

As mentioned your driving habits do need to change some. I went with the lock right specifically because it was supposed to be more quiet than the competitors, but it's for sure still audible.

My vendor is looking at getting me a Detroit now, going to cost about 200 more when it's all said and done. I'm going to go that route if it works out.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LSD will be for sale once I get it out. I'd let it go for $50 plus shipping. You won't have to mess with the pinion, the pinion depth is more for a "gear set" than it is the carrier. So you would swap your ring gear to the new carrier and then adjust the shims on either side of the diff bearings. It's more involved than a lunch box for sure but the more you read and watch you tube videos the less daunting it seems.

I feel like I would actually RATHER a lunchbox though. Obviously at a greater price...but my Jeep is my toy at this point. Used only for wheeling, pulling the waverunner, and snow/ice. I know that snow/ice might be tricky if I'm a moron with the throttle (guess what: I'm not) when an auto locker is installed. I don't mind the noise. Probably won't hear it over my tires.

Been looking at the PowerTrax that you are getting and the Aussie. Aussie looks slightly easier to install.

This is no problem for me...I'm used to pulling off the gas completely in a turn from driving the tC (stick shift).

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I would actually RATHER a lunchbox though. Obviously at a greater price...but my Jeep is my toy at this point. Used only for wheeling, pulling the waverunner, and snow/ice. I know that snow/ice might be tricky if I'm a moron with the throttle (guess what: I'm not) when an auto locker is installed. I don't mind the noise. Probably won't hear it over my tires.

Been looking at the PowerTrax that you are getting and the Aussie. Aussie looks slightly easier to install.

This is no problem for me...I'm used to pulling off the gas completely in a turn from driving the tC (stick shift).

If it's a "toy" now you'd be ,much happier with a full carrier locker like a Detroit locker,the same benefits as a lunchbox,100 times stronger,and no odd behavior or loss of driveability on the street.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a "toy" now you'd be ,much happier with a full carrier locker like a Detroit locker,the same benefits as a lunchbox,100 times stronger,and no odd behavior or loss of driveability on the street.

It's my "for now" toy. Because it's paid for and easy to work on. I don't want to put too much money into it. Too much money will go into my "later on in life" toy. Not too many 25 year olds that I know have a play vehicle and a DD.

All I really care about is getting to my destination...because it doesn't go there on a trailer. So if a lunchbox won't DESTROY driveability...then I'm OK with it. From my research...it seems to be a good way to get a locked rear end on a budget. Obviously there is better out there...I'm not going to argue that it's the best solution. But it's a GOOD solution.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget you will need the tool to slide in the axle housing to adjust the preload and backlash if you take it all the way apart.