Buying 2004 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cknapp2676

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2004 3.7L liberty. It has ~135k and the transmission slips. The selling price is $3,000. They had an estimate to repair trans for$1'000. What other things should I look at on this vehicle before I buy it. Thanks

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1,000 is a really cheap "fix". If you're going to get it fixed, do it right and get it replaced with used ($1,400-$2,000) or completely rebuilt ($2,500-$3,000). Other than that, check usual stuff; brakes, tires, noises during test drive, etc. Take it to a reputable mechanic to get it checked out before you buy it.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, 1000 dollars is a starting point. Get it done right and for 5 grand, you will have a great jeep. 5K is a good price for it provided all other things are ok.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2004 3.7L liberty. It has ~135k and the transmission slips. The selling price is $3,000. They had an estimate to repair trans for$1'000. What other things should I look at on this vehicle before I buy it. Thanks
Other than what everyone else has said, check the ball joints, upper and lower for the front end, and the rear suspension ball joint. Make sure they're nice and tight, if not, replace them.

Check hoses, the serpentine belt, CV joints for cracks and cuts and fluids (get them all changed out).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Show me the Carfax!

I don't trust Carfax as far as I can see them.

I bought a brand new 2008 Grand Cherokee a while ago.

New.

23 miles on it.

Carfax reported it as a two owner vehicle, 2nd owner purchased it in 2009. Dealer ran a Carfax report on it when I was thinking about trading it in on a '10 KK Renegade, and I wanted to blow the entire building up after they made their trade in appraisal based on the report.

I will never trust Carfax again.

Luckily I went to another dealership who KNEW that I had it since new (but wasn't my purchasing dealer), and they gave me a one-owner trade in value for it and I got my current Jeep.

Cknapp2676

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm.going to go take a better look at it today. I will update on what I find out about transmission. Don't have any experience with liberty's and just want to make sure I don't miss a common issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
check rear boot on front driveshaft as well
easy fix but also something that is common

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, 1000 dollars is a starting point. Get it done right and for 5 grand, you will have a great jeep. 5K is a good price for it provided all other things are ok.

You're replacing a V8 Toyota Tundra transmission at $5k...

Take it from the guy that's had to replace his already. :pp:

Last edited:

Cknapp2676

Reaction score
OK I got to talk to the owner today and he said that his wife was driving down the highway when the motor revd up and she could not speed up. After pulling over they had no forward gear but it would go into reverse. Transmiision shop said about 900 to repair but he could not remember what the diagnosis was. My first thought was tourqe converter solenoid but not sure if that is a 1000 repair or not.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I got to talk to the owner today and he said that his wife was driving down the highway when the motor revd up and she could not speed up. After pulling over they had no forward gear but it would go into reverse. Transmiision shop said about 900 to repair but he could not remember what the diagnosis was. My first thought was tourqe converter solenoid but not sure if that is a 1000 repair or not.

If you want to rely on that then fine. The only way to "repair" a transmission is to open it up. And to open it up is EXTREMELY labor intensive. I'm pretty sure Ry and Jen had a bad solenoid in their rig, which resulted in needing a rebuilt ******.

If you and the owner both agree on that quote, then you can both agree that it can get fixed before you buy it, and that you can test drive it again after it is fixed.