Busted Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Does Rad Barn have an all metal rad for the KJ?? I assume not..

Back when i had to replace the rad in my Neon they were one of the places i found online where i could get an all metal rad to replace my factory one with plastic tanks.

Did not ask,didn't think of it :confused:

Did consider Griffin,then went with these guys,we'll see how it goes.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took my Jeep to the mechanic and he said I also have a broken/cracked radiator, thats leaking anti-freeze. Sheesh didnt even know thank god. Also need some new front brakes.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive always ordered from 1800radiator due to price and speed, never tried to return something. might ned a new radiator myself went out to the kj and shes majicly low on coolant. fml

smcbride11

Reaction score
ive always ordered from 1800radiator due to price and speed, never tried to return something. might ned a new radiator myself went out to the kj and shes majicly low on coolant. fml

Check your hoses first. Since it got cold here, I've noticed a small leak (that turned into a half gallon last night) - looks like my hoses are on their way out and the worm drive clamps aren't tight enough anymore. Tightening the clamps on the upper and lower hoses have fixed the leak, and I'll replace the hoses once it gets above 30 degrees.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Installed the new radiator,turns out it is CSF brand.All went well.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good that you got it replaced. How much was the radiator anyway?

Dave

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
$132.00 shipping and all.Nice people to deal with,called on phone next day,talked to a couple of fellows ,Rob,and Rich. Was in a hurry today,looked like rain or snow coming in.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems reasonable.

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, ThunderbirdJunkie had 3 CSF radiators in his KJ.

Like Troy said, it's not so much the brand, it's get one you can have warrantied locally.

'cuz like...
You're gonna get REAL GOOD at replacing radiators.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
After our discussion the other night I called to stop everything,had already shipped,wasn't going to give up 15% to send it back,what the heck,after pulling this one surprised they make it out of the driveway,light weight does not begin to cover it. Have a drink,hope for lotto win.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
(kneel)

last install time was 52mins from start to driving away and it was 10 degrees outside(yes I was outside).

Yeah but you are a professional. How many have you changed? You probably couldn't count them, right?

10 degrees......ouch....

Dave

Alliantz

Reaction score
Mine took all day, but that's because I had the bright idea of swapping out the thermostat at the same time. Broke the bolt off on thermostat housing removal. Had to drill, tap, drill tap, etc. The radiator really wasn't my problem.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were any choice words muttered? :D

I bet plenty of them were!!

Too bad nobody makes an all metal replacement for the KJ... I'm starting to consider measuring a rad at a salvage yard (just so i got one out of a vehicle for taking detailed measurements) and making a template of the mounting locations and then asking a local rad shop if he has anything in his aftermarket performance rad catalog that would come close size wise, then making mounts to put in a one off aluminum rad if mine ever leaks.

Don't have to worry about the mounts for the stock fan, its just an electric two wire fan as far as i know, so an aftermarket fan or even fans side by side could be wired up in its place.

Why has nobody made an aftermarket rad for the KJ??

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with over 99k miles on the clock, I am replacing my '02 LTD's radiator. I won't cry too much if I get another 7 years out of the new one, although a metal one would be nice...