Busted Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Noticed a drip last week,checked,little leak below upper outlet,seems to be in/near boss shroud mounts to.Wonder if pepper and beer will seal it :rolleyes:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
New Rad time....
Save the beer for installation day!
Pepper for the steaks after completion.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered one from Radiator Barn,hope to see it before this one splits wide open.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that this is a "good" radiator.
Will not work,they all are destined to crack and leak.Be smart and get one locally with a lifetime warranty.All the aftermarket KJ radiators are made in the same factory in China,they just slap different brand stickers on them.About 3 weeks ago mine let go on me(2nd radiator to crack on me) at work,funny thing is the lower hose stub cracked.It was a Sunday and I had not much of a choice but get one from Advance Auto(100' from the shop I work at),with my discount I still paid to much but I got a lifetime warranty with it so that makes the extra $$$ I paid for it it worth it in the long run.

Oh and I can tell you it is no easier with a SFA to change that dang thing,actually worse since it sits so much higher,fun doing it outside in 15 degree weather.Had to do it outside or I would have had to pay for the labor if I did it in the shop,wasn't going to pay $100 to make $16 and still do the work.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say it is guaranteed as long as you own the vehicle. I've never dealt with them, so I don't know how they are to work with. At the least, you'd pay to ship a defective one back.

https://www.radiatorbarn.com/warranty.php
You also have to have a warranty card filled out,by a certified shop,and sent back to them.You also need to have the cooling system flushed before radiator replacement(not after but before) to keep the warranty.Most use this same format so it is to difficult for most to actually use the warranty.If you actually get them to warranty it but you have to pay for shipping it back you are out $30-$40 for shipping and have to wait 1-2 weeks(if your lucky) for a new radiator to be shipped back to you.Not worth it in my opinion,have dealt with company's like that before and it is really just not worth it.Buy local,much easier for warranty purposes.

Edit,read there warranty stuff,they basically have stated they will not warranty the radiator for any reason,they have stated all possible causes that make a radiator fail as a reason as not to warranty it.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
You also have to have a warranty card filled out,by a certified shop,and sent back to them.You also need to have the cooling system flushed before radiator replacement(not after but before) to keep the warranty.Most use this same format so it is to difficult for most to actually use the warranty.If you actually get them to warranty it but you have to pay for shipping it back you are out $30-$40 for shipping and have to wait 1-2 weeks(if your lucky) for a new radiator to be shipped back to you.Not worth it in my opinion,have dealt with company's like that before and it is really just not worth it.Buy local,much easier for warranty purposes.

Agree in hindsight,sure won't be sitting for week-10 days waiting on replacement-if it comes to that. What the heck,it's only money.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Edit,read there warranty stuff,they basically have stated they will not warranty the radiator for any reason,they have stated all possible causes that make a radiator fail as a reason as not to warranty it.

Wow, I didn't see any of those things in their warranty, but whatever you say. Like I said, I don't know anything about their service, as I've never bought from them. (I work part-time at the local NAPA, so get a nice discount there.) But, following your advice and reading RB's warranty, I didn't see any of the stuff you did.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't see any of those things in their warranty, but whatever you say. Like I said, I don't know anything about their service, as I've never bought from them. (I work part-time at the local NAPA, so get a nice discount there.) But, following your advice and reading RB's warranty, I didn't see any of the stuff you did.
The warranty card and flush thing will come with the radiator.Probably the exact same ones that come with Performance radiators and 1800radiators.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Rad Barn have an all metal rad for the KJ?? I assume not..

Back when i had to replace the rad in my Neon they were one of the places i found online where i could get an all metal rad to replace my factory one with plastic tanks.

Latest posts

Members online