BUSTED MY OIL PAN!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i dented up my oil pan and now its shot to hell. i need a new one cuz theres a seeping leak and its unrepairable. Wheres the cheapest place to get one and what's involved in replacing it? I guess i had a little too much fun on the snow banks. lol. Would skids protect the oil pan?
Thanks!

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'd hit up the junkyards near you....I believe the oil pans for the 3.7 are the same through out the years....

Definitely invest in at least an engine skid...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what'd you do? (airtime, hidden honda, etc) O:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you put some JBWeld on it to stop the leak until you could get another pan.?? I wonder if that would plug it up for a while?

dnm45227

Reaction score
if you can find it there is a drum patch material called pig putty that may be a good temp fix. i've heard that guys have even patched water pipes with it.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
if you can find it there is a drum patch material called pig putty that may be a good temp fix. i've heard that guys have even patched water pipes with it.

Pig putty KICKS ASS. We use it at work once and a while to plug leaking fuel tank drains when we don't have time to replace the valve. You can stick it right on a leaking drain, and it'll stick. Get's harder than heck to, we end up chiseling it off. It's a great temp fix until you get a replacement part in.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which oil pan is it? ****** or engine?

I wouldnt drive the jeep if its dented that bad. That can cause many problems and possibly destroy either the engine or ******(which ever it is). :-s

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
Can you put some JBWeld on it to stop the leak until you could get another pan.?? I wonder if that would plug it up for a while?

Yes it will work, i've successfully done it on my buddy's bmw 325. The ball joint broke and the oil pan smacked the pavement. The pan was cast aluminum and all i have is a mig welder so i couldn't weld it. It was about a 6" crack; i drained the oil, grinded off the grease and paint around the damaged area, smacked some JB weld on there and let it sit overnight. It's been about 4months and not a drop! The key is to have the area very clean. I used 2 cans of break cleaner.

I believe the libby has a steel eng oil pan, you can probably weld it or have it welded. If its the trans pan just replace it, probably like $50 and easy enough to replace.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:

Never heard of it. Sounds like it might come in handy. Where did you get it???

Dave

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:
What is involved in replacing the oil pan?

according to the '02 FSM, you have to remove the engine to get the oil pan out. I'm away from my libby at the moment, anyone wanna crawl under it and see if it's true?