Burnt wire under dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, i have had a air bag light on my 02 KJ. Several people have looked at it. I was doing some "mods" and noticed a wire that looked like it rubbed on a bracket near the brake pedal. It was rubbed all the way thru and pretty sure shorted out. Anyone know what this wire is for? Its a solid light blue wire.
You must be registered for see images

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i was wondering if i connected the two back together, will it go off?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think that reconnecting it would be a good idea in any case, but don't blame me if you get sparks and a ZZZZzzzzzzttttttttt noise.

That white wire has been skinned, too. What happened to you?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no....not the BLUE wire!!!! lol
Air bag wires are yellow and fat(ter) btw.
If it's just the casing and the wire isn't cut, I would wrap it as opposed to cutting and splicing it back together. They do make a "liquid electrical tape" for a more lasting and weather proof seal than what sticky tape would give.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery before anything....then consult a wiring diagram...

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no....not the BLUE wire!!!! lol
Air bag wires are yellow and fat(ter) btw.
If it's just the casing and the wire isn't cut, I would wrap it as opposed to cutting and splicing it back together. They do make a "liquid electrical tape" for a more lasting and weather proof seal than what sticky tape would give.

heat shrin is just as good

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tape it, I recommend Scotch Super 33+ tape. It's the only electrical tape I'll use. There really is a difference!

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are just pulling my leg, right?

lolol you *can* cut the heat shrin ... wors just as well from what i have been told by a few guys in town .... i havnt tried it myself... i just replace end to end. murphys law. no repair will do .

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea is for the tubing to shrink around the wire and seal it tightly, unless you use too large of a size. If you split it open length-wise, as you heat it up it will shrink and shrivel like a piece of bacon, and fall off. You could probably use a larger diameter than normal, and wrap it around itself, but that would be a less effective seal than using tape.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need heat shrink tape.
Heat shrink tube is not going to work.

Otherwise, electrical tape is fine.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Spit some chaw juice on it and call it good. :mexsmoke:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light blue wire actually goes from ground...picked up from the Airbag Control Module...goes through the seat belt switches and back to the ACM....basicaly to let the ACM know if it should tension the Driver seat belt in case of an accident.
So provided this blue wire is not touching any other wire it should not matter if you connect it up again....check if it does indeed go to ground and not anywhere else.

I am more concerned about the White wire which I am having difficulty finding in the wiring diagram so make sure all fuses inside the cabin and under the hood are OK.

You need to ideally pull codes to see which airbag is complaining...driver's, passenger or side curtain bags.

Be careful working on the airbags...as stated disconnect the battery first. Nothing wrong with cutting a wire...slip some shrink wrap on, solder the wires back together and slide the shrink-wrap over the joint and heat gently with a hairdryer or heat gun. We used to do this all the time in the Computer industry and this is pretty much how Jeep insulate the various "splices" they have within the wire harness.:shrug:

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 9

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I splicee the blue wire together and put some "liquid tape" on the white wire. Airbag light still on....gonna get the codes pulled.