Budget Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigil90

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post, and I am new to Jeeps, just got my Liberty a few weeks ago. I took it on some basic trails, for the hell of it and bottomed out on a rock. Thus I came to the conclusion I need a small lift :)

I came across this site
http://www.rocky-road.com/kjbudget.html
and was thinking about getting it. It's in my price range since I am working part time and am a Full time student. However I don't know much about jeeps and lifts yet, I was wondering if I can get some opinions if i should get it, and if I do, should I get it with the rear shocks? I would also like to hear from anyone who has this in their jeeps.

Thanks for all the help :D

audioquefan

Reaction score
I have not personally dealt with either the rocky road or the dayton lift but the general consensus is that the dayton spacer lift is the best budget lift.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to both of you... (welcome)

As far as the lifts, I haven't heard many good things about rocky Road.

The Daystar is better, but isn't great. Spacer lifts use stock components, and push them to the limit.

The best way to go is OME/Ranco.....:)

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree. If you need new struts and shocks anyway, go with a spring lift. But don't let anyone tell you that you have to spend all that cash. Save the money and use it for armor and rock rails and lockers and all the stuff that will actually make your KJ more capable off road.

I've been using a spacer lift for 2 years with no problems and only slightly less articulation than a full spring lift. I've wheeled it hard and can go anywhere the guys with Frankies can go.

You can get the Daystar 2.5 complete kit from www.boulderbars.com. $208.98 for the complete kit.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to disagree. If you need new struts and shocks anyway, go with a spring lift. But don't let anyone tell you that you have to spend all that cash. Save the money and use it for armor and rock rails and lockers and all the stuff that will actually make your KJ more capable off road.

I've been using a spacer lift for 2 years with no problems and only slightly less articulation than a full spring lift. I've wheeled it hard and can go anywhere the guys with Frankies can go.

You can get the Daystar 2.5 complete kit from www.boulderbars.com. $208.98 for the complete kit.

I agree.....if your suspension is done, just do the spring lift. Otherwise, do what you can afford.....

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It has all been covered over and over again.
Have you read all the material in this link?
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37151
30K-40k and up in mileage, the factory shocks and coil springs have reached the end of their service life.
Go with OME Coil springs and OME Shocks, or Rancho shocks.
I went with a Frankenlift based on what other folks here have said about them and I am familiar with Rancho Shocks/struts from personal experience.
http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift.htm

If you are well below the 30000 miles on your KJ use a spacer lift. I was originally going to go with a Daystar spacer lift.
Well I thought, I'll continue saving over the last 43 months. I also push my vehicles to the edge of what they are capable of doing.
Stock and modified.
So for Jen and myself, our KJ has 184000.0 kilometres/114332.30 miles
All four shocks on our KJ are done and the coil springs are also at the end of their service life.
OME HD Coils/Rancho Shocks.
Wednesday the Frankenlift goes in. Along with Al's Upper "A" Arms, an undetermined amount of clevis lift and additional rear spring isolators.
I added up the total cash expenditure for all the parts and accessories that I have been buying over the last 43. (I was corrected by Jen. 3 years and 7 months. Not two years and 7 months. I'm behind a year!)
I told Jen how much and she said "That's not too bad, how much more this year"
Back to square one with skid plates, probably around $500.00 for them. If not more due to the fact that I'll end up ordering after market versions because factory ones are becoming scarce and hard to find here.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on what everyone else says. Frankenlift offers a front lift only for like 500 that might be an option too.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.