Budget build, i need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinJackson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2004 Renegade edition KJ and I want to start upgrading it. Right now it is mostly stock.. I have money put aside for tires and I'm wanting to use the stock rims but I want to go bigger and get a bit of height...any suggestions? Do I lift it? If so what lift? Do I buy spacers? What size? What size tires do I go with? I am VERY new to building a 4x4 so please bear with me lol thanks in advance guys!

PS: I'm on a fairly tight budget so nothing toooooo expensive please

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Checkout the lift section and you can learn all about this stuff
Price is all depending on what you want out of your KJ because the higher you go, the ride quality you want and also if you want adjustability will all play factors into how much you'll be spending

Zero spacer lifts, only suspension and to give you an idea, I had to go up to 3.25" of lift to run 31s and it's still pretty close to rubbing
These things aren't like Wranglers where you can throw on 33s with no lift, they need a lot more time and money to achieve that kind of stuff

Best budget suspension lift will run you about $900 or so (OME/Bilstein), but your best bet here is to READ like you've never read before and you'll learn everything you need to know.. like "What in the hell is OME?"
That answer and much more will be explained in detail

Enjoy!

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're on a budget don't be afraid to give the H&R Springs a try. Don't waste your money on a spacer lift though. My Libby looks so much different and meaner than all those other stock sagging Liberty's around here. Not to mention it's so much more capable off-road. You really notice the difference when you park by one or even drive by one.

Here's my last post from that section.

Still loving these H&R Springs and Gabriel Ultra Shocks all the way around after approximately 6,000 miles. Very reasonably priced, comfortable and yet very confident ride. I did add a 3/8" JBA clevis spacer and 1 additional upper rear isolator.

Total price of lift was under $500, so I'm very pleased. I wasn't looking to go very high though. I'm at the 21.5" range now and I have never rubbed my 30x9.5x15 tires on those rims with less backspacing than normal. I did hammer over the pinch weld and molded some of the front wheel well plastic just to be safe though.

H&R Springs = $250 all 4 springs
Rear Shocks = $60/pair
Front Shocks = $110/pair
JBA 3/8" Clevis = $35/pair
OEM Upper Iso = $25/pair

All prices are + or - and I was able to find a few coupons and decrease the total a bit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Justin.

I see you are already getting some advice on what works and what doesn't and people with KJ lift experience to give advice that is proven to work best. In the lift section there's a lot of info on what works best.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2004 Renegade edition KJ and I want to start upgrading it. Right now it is mostly stock.. I have money put aside for tires and I'm wanting to use the stock rims but I want to go bigger and get a bit of height...any suggestions? Do I lift it? If so what lift? Do I buy spacers? What size? What size tires do I go with? I am VERY new to building a 4x4 so please bear with me lol thanks in advance guys!

PS: I'm on a fairly tight budget so nothing toooooo expensive please

First it would be good to know what you think is too expensive. To some it maybe 3000 others 300.
So think it over and do some reading and then get back to us.

JustinJackson

Reaction score
id be okay with spending in around 500-600$ because I'm in school full time and I'm spending around another 1000 on tires already

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id be okay with spending in around 500-600$ because I'm in school full time and I'm spending around another 1000 on tires already

You should look at better tires for less money, move those tire funds saved into your lift and extras budget. You don't have to buy crap tires, but really don't skimp on the suspension components... the $70 here and $100 saved there on suspension parts now, will only cost you two to three times that later on when they don't last as long as better quality parts would have from the start.

If you can get tires for $800, and spend that extra $200 on suspension, you'll be spending the same money overall but putting it to better use.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should look at better tires for less money, move those tire funds saved into your lift and extras budget. You don't have to buy crap tires, but really don't skimp on the suspension components... the $70 here and $100 saved there on suspension parts now, will only cost you two to three times that later on when they don't last as long as better quality parts would have from the start.

If you can get tires for $800, and spend that extra $200 on suspension, you'll be spending the same money overall but putting it to better use.

I agree. You can't skimp on the lift. You need good quality parts which will cost less in the long run..

But as to the tires OP is changing tire size so he needs 5 tires. 5 good quality A/T's tires for $800 mounted and balanced and out the door?

You can't run around with a useless different size smaller spare......well you could but..........LOL

Dave

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. You can't skimp on the lift. You need good quality parts which will cost less in the long run..

But as to the tires OP is changing tire size so he needs 5 tires. 5 good quality A/T's tires for $800 mounted and balanced and out the door?

You can't run around with a useless different size smaller spare......well you could but..........LOL

Dave

Ah.. didn't notice he needed all 5 or was changing sizes. Oh well, in that case.. maybe $900 for tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
KUMHO
ROAD VENTURE AT51
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
Size: LT245/75R16 120/116R E
$635.00

Tire Rack

just an example
and getting good reviews on various forums

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KUMHO
ROAD VENTURE AT51
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
$635.00

Tire Rack

just an example

I've had good luck with a Kumho manufacturered AT tire re-branded for Discount Tire. A little cracking on the sidewalls I didn't expect, but tread life and all-weather traction have been great. Getting noisy, but in need of a rotation too. I paid about that price too.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
KUMHO
ROAD VENTURE AT51
On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
$635.00

Tire Rack

just an example

Wow.....when I priced my duratracs they were $228 a tire x5=$1140 so I guess 17" tires are way more expensive. Didn't get them. (245/75/17)

Dave

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had Kumho years ago and you could pay me enough to buy them again. Went with Cooper SST Pros.

By the way H&R springs aren't crap and there are other options besides OME. They're high quality German made springs. Folks seem to think all Liberty's need to have OME suspensions. Even being generous I'm pretty confident saying that less than 5% of all Jeep Liberty's on the road have OME suspensions. Actually, it's probably less than 1%.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had Kumho years ago and you could pay me enough to buy them again. Went with Cooper SST Pros.

By the way H&R springs aren't crap and there are other options besides OME. They're high quality German made springs. Folks seem to think all Liberty's need to have OME suspensions. Even being generous I'm pretty confident saying that less than 5% of all Jeep Liberty's on the road have OME suspensions. Actually, it's probably less than 1%.

LOL well yes most are stock , if OME is less than 1% then H&R are like .00000000000001 %

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL well yes most are stock , if OME is less than 1% then H&R are like .00000000000001 %

I don't disagree with that statement at all. I could have spent as much as I wanted to on my suspension, but I decided to give the H&R Springs a try and I'm very happy I did. I'm a big fan of German engineering and quality. I wouldn't change a thing. I love that these springs are progressive. They still respond to small bumps and potholes on paved roads and firm up nicely as the road or trail gets rougher.

I'm not apposed to the heavier linear springs, but I would love to take a ride in a Libby with them to compare the ride on paved roads.

That said, going from a passenger tire to the SST Pro's made a quite noticeable difference in the ride. The H&R Springs/Gabriel Shocks with passenger tires on my Libby felt close to the Wife's newer Grand Cherokee on paved roads, while being much more capable and confident off road. Not so much with the SST Pro's. Rougher ride all the way around. I love the capability of the SST Pro's, but if I was doing it over again I might have stuck with the Grabbers. I do drive a lot of muddy roads though, especially this time of the year here in NH, and it's nice to know I'm good to go with the SST's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that statement at all. I could have spent as much as I wanted to on my suspension, but I decided to give the H&R Springs a try and I'm very happy I did. I'm a big fan of German engineering and quality. I wouldn't change a thing. I love that these springs are progressive. They still respond to small bumps and potholes on paved roads and firm up nicely as the road or trail gets rougher.

I'm not apposed to the heavier linear springs, but I would love to take a ride in a Libby with them to compare the ride on paved roads.

That said, going from a passenger tire to the SST Pro's made a quite noticeable difference in the ride. The H&R Springs/Gabriel Shocks with passenger tires on my Libby felt close to the Wife's newer Grand Cherokee on paved roads, while being much more capable and confident off road. Not so much with the SST Pro's. Rougher ride all the way around. I love the capability of the SST Pro's, but if I was doing it over again I might have stuck with the Grabbers. I do drive a lot of muddy roads though, especially this time of the year here in NH, and it's nice to know I'm good to go with the SST's.

Buddy has the SST's they don't do bad but I went places in two wheel drive with the Duratracs that he had to lock in. Hes driving a XJ with 265-75-16s the same as I was running so it was interesting. He only got about 55,000 out of them .
But yes there is a difference , I've installed some of the H&Rs on customers cars, mainly BMWs and a couple of Jettas, all lowered , none on a KJ though.
Comes down to what you like and I love the adjustable coilovers