brand new and have tire questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of post on what tire sizes will fit, and whats the best for lifted/stock.

Well ill start off with i just purchased a 2002 jeep liberty sport, im planning on a 2.5" full suspension lift from rustys offroad ( http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...duct_Code=RK-250A-KJ&Category_Code=sus_kj_kit ) since i am on a budget, unless there is something else better for around that price! But what i was wondering was, what tires would fit running a lift kit? Will 26/70-16 fit or would i be better off with a 245/75-16?

Any input would be great, and also if you can include pictures or any helpful visuals!

Thanks!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Save your money and buy a good lift instead of the junk Rustys has,
tell you why and its been posted 100s of times but first Rustys front springs are the same rating as stock and sag quickly. You'll have to replace them within a year or so. Second his rear shocks do not fit well at all, are cheap and worthless in the long run.

I've installed one Rustys lift for one of the LOST members, it sagged back to stock height in 20,000 miles or less. Have installed or helped install over 20 OME spring lifts and all do quite well over an extended time, my first OME lift lasted for 100,000 miles and is on another KJ now for example

Tires, 245-75-16s will give you good service and less problems, can be run on stock rims with little issue. 265-70s can rub on the sway bar etc due to width

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well where would i get a OME lift, and does it include everything?

Also another thing im worried about is the strut assembly and compressing them and what not. I would like to do this lift by myself because the auto shops here in Germany are ridiculous. So a somewhat easy lift would be nice :]

And the 245/75's wont rub at all? And yes, it would be using the stock rim...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Any ARB dealer should have them, and it will have everything. :D

245/75/16 will fit with no issues, I have the OME lift with 245/70/17 (actually bigger than a 245/75/16) with no rubbing. :D

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have side photos (before and after) by chance?

Well then now i just have to find somebody that will ship overseas to an APO/AE.... for a reasonable price!

Also with the OME lift whats a ballpark price + bumpstops? Does the front strut assembly come compressed or did you have to go to the stealership and get them compressed?

sparkman70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get a ome lift they say you don't need bumpstops and price i payed was 800.00 from jeepen by al

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after wheeling with some buddies on the rubicon we found out that say $50 bumpstops will save a $400 lift!

$800 isnt too bad, and this will support an aftermarket front and rear bumpers?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you happen to have side photos (before and after) by chance?

Well then now i just have to find somebody that will ship overseas to an APO/AE.... for a reasonable price!

Also with the OME lift whats a ballpark price + bumpstops? Does the front strut assembly come compressed or did you have to go to the stealership and get them compressed?

I had a shop do mine for $150....but here are the pics:

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:
You must be registered for see images attach

Well after wheeling with some buddies on the rubicon we found out that say $50 bumpstops will save a $400 lift!

$800 isnt too bad, and this will support an aftermarket front and rear bumpers?

You got that right... :D

Yep, it will. I got the Med duty ones (rear coils are the same though, all shocks are), but I have no intentions of a winch or non stock bumpers.

$800 really isn't that bad, you'll be set for well over 100k miles. You will get more than 1.5" of lift....:smokin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They say 1.5", but 2.5" is more accurate, as most KJ's have sagged one inch from the factory.

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh! well then that sounds a lot better!

Now i just have to find a dealer that will ship to APO, and not for an arm or a leg!

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well since im here in germany, i was planning on doing mostly some mode and hilly terrain but i dont want to fork over the money for a mudding tire, well unless its cheap :]

any suggestions, and i think i will be running 245/75-16 since im planning on doing the OME or the frankenlift not sure on that yet since i havent read enough into either.......

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also 245/70-16 is for sure the boiggest tire i can fit with the lift?! just making sure before i decide on the tire.

and i will be using the stock rim

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With the lift, 245/75/16 is the best way to go. Look at Nitto Terra Grapplers too, they are the more aggressive (but still AT) cousin of the Toyo Open Country. Love mine, drove 'em 1500 miles with a trailer, and have about 5-6k on them, great in all conditions.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
also 245/70-16 is for sure the boiggest tire i can fit with the lift?! just making sure before i decide on the tire.

and i will be using the stock rim

What HJ said!

245-75-16's will fit just fine!
You might get a little rubbing here and there in the front, but you can read up on it here on the site and learn how to "Fix" that!

Jake.Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet, now the only other question is, which lift is better OME or the frankenlift?

Latest posts

Members online