Brakes doing something weird at stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djui5

Reaction score
Not sure how to explain this, but my brakes kinda "flutter" if I'm moving extremely slow and just barely touch them, like when your holding the brakes at a stop light and are letting the vehicle roll slightly. I changed the pads not to long ago and noted the front pads against the piston were really worn, while the other side wasn't so bad. Is something wrong with my pistons? Aside from that they work like a champ. That thing stops fast if you stand on it. BTW, it's an 04 regular KJ.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you replace the rotors when you did the pads, or just throw pads on it?
Rotors could be glazed and warped causing this noise or brake feel? I don't know what you mean by "fluttering"
The pad were is normal on this type of caliper slide mount. I have done hundreds of brake jobs in the past, and the outboard pad is usually half worn but the inboard pad is toast. 1 of two things are possible in this condition

1 Stuck or just about seized piston in the caliper( not likely though)

2 Caliper is not sliding properly in the mount

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the caliper not sliding correctly,pull the slides out and lube them up with some brake grease and also put some brake grease on the pad slides.You don't need alot otherwise the stuff will melt and turn to a liquid and run onto your rotors causing major braking issues,just a thin/light coat will do.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, when you take the brakes apart to check, check the replaceable metal slides to see if 1 didn't fall out. That happened to me 2 times with the new slide clips when I did the front brakes on mine. Had to take the brakes apart 3 times before I got another set from a different supplier to get them to stay in place.

lmcbee5

Reaction score
When i had a TJ i had the same problem. I found out that it was the rotors and just ended up replacing them. I have heard that resurfacing a rotor can cause more problems, but if you decide to go that route and take them off yourself most places will resurface them for about $5 a rotor.

djui5

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Glad to hear the pad wear was normal. I didn't loose any of the clips, they were all there and I painfully took great care to ensure they all went back on right. I put some brake grease on all the moving parts, but will take them apart and check again. The 'fluttering" feels kinda like a very small pumping. Nothing really bad, not shaking or anything, but a super slight rapid pumping when the brakes are very lightly pressed at a slow speed. Hope that makes more sense. It used to be really bad until I replaced the pads, then it seemed to stop. Now it's starting again. No, I didn't do anything to the rotors, just replaced the pads.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you feel a "fluttering" with light application at slow speeds, your rotors may be warped. How do they feel when slowing from highway speeds? If they feel normal at that speed, warped rotors are out of the question.
They will pulsate very badly and rapidly at 75mph, but you will also feel pulsation at very slow speeds with light pedal application.
If this is the case, just have your rotors turned. If they are close to minimum thickness, replace them.

djui5

Reaction score
Every other time I brake it's fine. Never felt anything like it before. Might take it to a brake shop and have someone check it out for me.