Help Needed: Clicking/Tapping/Knocking at stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murdoc

Reaction score
Hello all, I've just inherited a '09 KK from my father in law and am in the process of fixing a bunch of issues to get it right again. I have something that I've never run into that I hope someone can help with...

Sometimes, not always, when slowing down to a stop I feel a tapping in the steering wheel and brake pedal. The tapping is like someone was tapping on the steering column with a small hammer. It does not seem to affect the steering, or the braking, it is not in sync with the speed of the vehicle or engine, AND FOR THE REALLY WEIRD PART! It still taps after I'm stopped still. The tapping will go away as soon as I release the brakes.

To me it almost seems like the ABS is firing, but it isn't really rapid like I'm hard braking on gravel, and does is when the wheels aren't moving at all.

The only other thing going on with the jeep right now is the airbag light comes on and goes off. I believe this is the clockspring that I'll hopefully be replacing this week.

I've scanned the jeep and there are no codes for ABS or general codes.

Anyone run into this?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don’t know your answer, but I will welcome you to the forum. I haven’t run into the tapping sensation you describe. I have replaced my clockspring in my 08, for the same reasons as you. You are right on schedule with that repair, sounds like!

How many miles do you have on your 09?

murdoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. The jeep has about 144k miles on it. The biggest problem I can't fix is the sky-slider. As far as I know it works, but it is closed now, and not leaking, so I don't think I'll ever roll the dice on opening it. I just ordered a couple of wind deflectors that I'll make one big air deflector to help with the noise. Other than that, I had to fix some wiring in the engine from a squirrel that decided to winter in there, a broken wheel speed sensor wire, and yesterday I replaced the AC Compressor, condensor, and expansion valve to get the AC working again.

One other weird thing I found was that the power steering resivoir was pretty much empty. I thought that might be what was leaving a puddle in the driveway, but I have filled it up, and after a week the level doesn't seem to be going down. So... idk

To do:
Figure out this knocking noise
Find the source of an oil leak
replace the clockspring
Add cruise control (Yes, it has hill decent assist, but not cruise control! Lol)
Replace the TPMS sensors

murdoc

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on this message in case someone in the future runs into this. I was able to reproduce the knocking noise in my driveway and I felt around the ABS pump, brake master cylinder, power steering pump, ect. The only part that I could feel the knocking on (and I do mean KNOCK!) was the Brake Master Cylinder. It felt like someone was hitting it was a hammer. So this past weekend I replaced it. When I removed the old one, I found a lot of gunk near the brake booster, and just happened to look inside of the brake booster, and saw there was fluid in it! So I used my little vacuum bleeder tool to suck out the oil that was in the brake booster and mounted on the new one, and bled the system. So, LONG story short, I think the old Master Cylinder was leaking out of the rear into the booster. When it did this, I bet the internal pistons were slipping and causing the knocking noise. If anything changes, I will update again in the future.

Other than this issue, I did replace the clockspring which fixed the airbag light. I used the OBDII tool to disable the TPMS light. Next up is to fix the oil leak, which I fear is the oil pan gasket. Looking at youtube videos, this looks like a bear to fix. Great....