Brake Job- pe- questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be replacing all calipers, master cyl., all rotors and of course, pads.

Anything unexpected from a normal vehicle? I've done the fronts before, but never had the rear off nor any rotors.

Any tools out of the ordinary - I have more than the normal gut and less than the pros.

FWIW - Going with the Black Magic pads & rotors. Have rebuilt calipers on the bench ready for paint.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have rear disc brakes they are no different then doing the fronts but you only have to remove the caliper,no mount to take off.

Make sure the calipers are installed correctly,bleeder up.Install all the rotors,calipers,and pads before unbolting the old calipers from the brake lines.Less mess and less fluid loss.

Why replacing the master? If you do make sure to bench bleed it before installing and when bleeding the bakes always start with the 2 brake lines on the master(just loosen a little till fluid comes out) before doing the calipers.Also best to install the new master 1st and bleed it before even starting on the rest of the brakes otherwise it can take forever to bleed.

Less time with the lines disconnected the less likely to get air in the system,more so if you have ABS as that takes a dealer scan tool to bleed.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the calipers are installed correctly,bleeder up.Install all the rotors,calipers,and pads before unbolting the old calipers from the brake lines.Less mess and less fluid loss.

- Had a vehicle years ago when I worked for an Import dealer. Dude passing through, don't remember the details but he needed a caliper. We didn't have one for that side, but did for the other. Stuck a 2x4 in and bled it, mounted and on the road. Mirror images just swapped hose and bleeder holes for either side.

Told him he could wait a few days or do this..

Why replacing the master?

Just to avoid future issues.

f you do make sure to bench bleed it before installing and when bleeding the
Good advice - have not done one recently so might have forgotten, then I used to own cars that needed one every year :)

No ABS and have one of those vacuum pumps, plan on taking a couple quarts.