Bought a hitch & wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I successfully installed the receiver hitch today. I cleaned out that last hole with a plumber's brush and some PB Blaster. I also PB Blasted the other holes and let that sit for 5min. I then cleaned out all 6 holes with Simple Green.

Once the cleaning was done, I hoisted the hitch in place with the help of some cinder blocks. I coated all 6 bolts with red loctite. The 30mm grade 10.9 bolts I bought the other day do indeed thread all the way into the nutzerts. They stick out about 1/4" above the nutzerts.

I don't have a torque wrench, but I did torque them down as much as I physically can without breaking anything.

It looks great. The only part of hitch visible is the 2" receiver and chain mounts. The receiver sticks out far enough that the spare won't be in the way when hooking up a trailer.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed a torque wrench from a friend and torqued down the bolts to 70 Lb-Ft as per the instructions.

I picked up a Reese ball mount and hitch ball. Will post pics when I can.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some pics for your viewing pleasure:

You must be registered for see images

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is a convenient thread.

Was just debating whether or not to order this 51054 Reese (Draw-Tite) hitch (which is indeed made by Draw Tite but not branded it) or the 75128 (which is officially branded Draw Tite). The 75128 is $58 more where I'm having the install done, but includes a Draw Tite ball mount ($25ish value) has a longer hitch design and has the official Draw-Tite sticker on it (who cares)--but otherwise is the same hitch. The 75128 does not have those holes where you ziptied wires through.

Looks from this like I could go for either one--just depends on whether or not I want the longer hitch or not, which would be a positive in the sense that it might be easier to access but a negative in the sense that you could more easily crack your shin on it while putting stuff in the back.

I think I'm going with the 51054 after seeing your pics. This looks about right to me...

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the only drawback to the longer one, shin smacking...

I got the Curt model that it about even with the bumper cover, and i bought two lengths of ball mounts, a regular length one i leave in there most of the time and a longer one that makes it easier to hook up light weight trailers since i don't have to worry about the slight difference in strength with the longer ball mount.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The hitch on my Durango is a U haul, and sticks out pretty good. Let's say that it took some getting used to. It does make a nice step to get to the roof though.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got the Curt model that it about even with the bumper cover, and i bought two lengths of ball mounts, a regular length one i leave in there most of the time and a longer one that makes it easier to hook up light weight trailers since i don't have to worry about the slight difference in strength with the longer ball mount.

That's interesting...do you think a longer ball mount would be safe to use for towing a 1600lb (2000lb total with trailer and everything in it probably) boat?

Dibz

Reaction score
Great thread... I just had a Curt Class III installed today. The wiring harness was bad, so I am awaiting on a new one.

Question??? - When you install the Class III, can you still have your rear tow hook and mount? Or does it have to come off?

Regards

Dibz

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Great thread... I just had a Curt Class III installed today. The wiring harness was bad, so I am awaiting on a new one.

Question??? - When you install the Class III, can you still have your rear tow hook and mount? Or does it have to come off?

Regards

Dibz

I think the hook has to go...just get a D ring shackle for the hitch....Warn sells a good one.

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml

Dibz

Reaction score
Damn...... Kj924, what took you so long to answer my question?? It took you a whole minute....:)

Thanks for the answer, I kind of figured it had to go. Not quiet sure what a D ring shakle is, but I will check into it.

Thanks Again

Dibz

Dibz

Reaction score
Kj924.... That is a cool idea, the shakle thing, that is. I see you are also here in Canada. Would Crappy Tire carry one of those?

Regards

Dibz

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also installing the mopar hitch on mine but i dont have any wires with it. I dont want a cheap 4 pole plug as dirt always gets to it, im going for the 7 pole rv type but i dont know what to get as for the wiring if any exists as an all complete kit on 7 pole. Anyone knows let me know and what brand so i can seek it around here... Guys in Canada, you guys think crappy tire has those hitch graded bolts ?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im also installing the mopar hitch on mine but i dont have any wires with it. I dont want a cheap 4 pole plug as dirt always gets to it, im going for the 7 pole rv type but i dont know what to get as for the wiring if any exists as an all complete kit on 7 pole. Anyone knows let me know and what brand so i can seek it around here... Guys in Canada, you guys think crappy tire has those hitch graded bolts ?
You need the Mopar wiring harness which is a 7-pole harness.

Canadian Tire, Rona, Home Depot, etc don't carry 10.9 grade bolts. You need to go to a specialty store like Fastenal or in my case Ottawa Fastener Supply.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting...do you think a longer ball mount would be safe to use for towing a 1600lb (2000lb total with trailer and everything in it probably) boat?

The longer ball mount is rated to like 3500lbs i think, i would have to look at it again, eTrailer sells the longer one also.

Edit: Ok i was way off, the extra long ball mounts on eTrailer are rated to 5-6000lbs.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this same DrawTite/Reese hitch installed on my '02 LTD yesterday by a local trailer retailer -- paid $300 including wiring (DrawTite T-One Wiring harness, 118382) and installation. I didn't think the total price was *too* bad since there was just no way I was going to do this one myself.

Here's what it looked like on mine:

Attachments

• DSCF4671.jpg
    DSCF4671.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF4672.jpg
    DSCF4672.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF4677.jpg
    DSCF4677.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF4679.jpg