blown engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My statement had nothing to do with the expense of that loan, or whether or not it was a good idea, just a statement of fact.
If I lost an engine today, it would be EASIER for me to buy a new vehicle than to buy a new engine. I have decent credit, but lifes circumstances have reduced my liquid capitol to far less than $3k.
Is it a good situation to be in financially? Of course not. Life happens though.
That kind of thinking is EXACTLY what is wrong with the modern economy, and your statement is simply not true.
I would contend that while the first half of your statement may have some basis in truth in a broad way, for you to characterize my statement as untrue is nothing more than wishful thinking on your part.
Coming up with $3K is ALWAYS easier than coming up with $30K. If you are careful with your finances, you should be able to spare $3K from somewhere, at least temporarily.
That is a very incomplete scenario you paint there. I could come up with a thousand situations in which a person would be unable to come up with $3k dollars but still have good enough credit to finance a new vehicle.
The simplest scenario I can think of would involve a young person, maybe a college student or young adult recently out of the nest who has a couple of credit cards, little debt, and no savings simply because they are young.
Another situation would be a couple who were getting along fine, making ends meet and saving a little, then one of them loses a job, or maybe there is a medical problem, or a legal problem which resulted in losing that savings right at the wrong moment.
This stuff happens every single day.
If you can't, you can still ask your bank if you can borrow against the value of your Jeep.
In my case, I just bought the Jeep a year ago and still owe money on it, so getting a loan against it would not be an option. I'm just counting on Chrysler to have built a good enough product, and me to take good enough care of it for it to last a few years without catastrophic failure.
Even if the interest rate is higher, the monthly payments are far more manageable at fraction of what you might have borrowed for a new vehicle. Don't forget a new vehicle usually requires some kind of down-payment, which will eat into that $3K you were trying to avoid spending. If your credit is good, the interest rate on a $3K secured bank loan will be the same or LESS as a new car loan.
All true except for the down payment part. Sure, the more down youve got, the better your loan terms, but down payments are certainly not REQUIRED, especially if your credit is decent. In many cases in the last few years, finance companies have been offering zero interest. If a buyer qualifies for that, there is little motivation to provide a down payment at all.
Finally, if a bank loan isn't an option either, charging the balance to a credit card is another cheap way to get the money quickly and pay it off on your own schedule.
So...an engine swap on an older vehicle financed on an 18-21% credit card is better than a new vehicle financed at 0-8%? I'm not going to do the math on that, but I seriously question the logic behind that one. Refer back to the "engine today, transmission tomorrow, suspension next week" argument as well as simple economics of how credit card debt often ends up piling up on people in the long run.
It should be noted that having an emergency fund for those "oh, shit" moments is always a good idea, and if your credit cards are already maxed out, good luck getting (and paying off) that $30K new car loan.
Again, you know nothing about this persons personal financial situation. Sure, we all wish we had nice savings balances for those moments, but what happens if you get a series of those moments all in a row? Or maybe you just arent in a place in your liife where that savings is possible?

My apologies to the OP for this little argument, just had to point out to the judges here that life is not always the perfect financial situation that we wish it was.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True but you know the engine swap prices have significantly dropped. That burnsville ********* overcharges and for the engine and the swap its 20k.
As many people who have done engine swaps how could it not be street legal? There's a guy who dd's his 4bt tj's here in indy

sent using the dark side of the force
BOR uses brand new unless the customer states otherwise or for the 5.7VVT,other use used only so hence the cost difference.BOR also has a full 3/36 warranty and will be CARB certified.I've seen BOR's work personally and others,there just is no way I'd have anyone but BOR do a engine swap for me as far as a Jeep goes.

Oh and a 4bt TJ can be legal,a 4bt JK is not legal.They stopped making 4bt engines a few years before the JK so not legal but in the correct age range to be legal in a TJ.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My statement had nothing to do with the expense of that loan, or whether or not it was a good idea, just a statement of fact.
If I lost an engine today, it would be EASIER for me to buy a new vehicle than to buy a new engine. I have decent credit, but lifes circumstances have reduced my liquid capitol to far less than $3k.
Is it a good situation to be in financially? Of course not. Life happens though.

I would contend that while the first half of your statement may have some basis in truth in a broad way, for you to characterize my statement as untrue is nothing more than wishful thinking on your part.

That is a very incomplete scenario you paint there. I could come up with a thousand situations in which a person would be unable to come up with $3k dollars but still have good enough credit to finance a new vehicle.
The simplest scenario I can think of would involve a young person, maybe a college student or young adult recently out of the nest who has a couple of credit cards, little debt, and no savings simply because they are young.
Another situation would be a couple who were getting along fine, making ends meet and saving a little, then one of them loses a job, or maybe there is a medical problem, or a legal problem which resulted in losing that savings right at the wrong moment.
This stuff happens every single day.

In my case, I just bought the Jeep a year ago and still owe money on it, so getting a loan against it would not be an option. I'm just counting on Chrysler to have built a good enough product, and me to take good enough care of it for it to last a few years without catastrophic failure.

All true except for the down payment part. Sure, the more down youve got, the better your loan terms, but down payments are certainly not REQUIRED, especially if your credit is decent. In many cases in the last few years, finance companies have been offering zero interest. If a buyer qualifies for that, there is little motivation to provide a down payment at all.

So...an engine swap on an older vehicle financed on an 18-21% credit card is better than a new vehicle financed at 0-8%? I'm not going to do the math on that, but I seriously question the logic behind that one. Refer back to the "engine today, transmission tomorrow, suspension next week" argument as well as simple economics of how credit card debt often ends up piling up on people in the long run.

Again, you know nothing about this persons personal financial situation. Sure, we all wish we had nice savings balances for those moments, but what happens if you get a series of those moments all in a row? Or maybe you just arent in a place in your liife where that savings is possible?

My apologies to the OP for this little argument, just had to point out to the judges here that life is not always the perfect financial situation that we wish it was.

If you have good enough credit for a $30k vehicle then your plenty good enough to use your vehicle title(assuming your vehicle is paid off) to get a $3k loan for a engine for about 6%-8%.

You also can use your insurance to cover a new engine,sure you pay the deductable and have slightly increased rates for a few years.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
If you have good enough credit for a $30k vehicle then your plenty good enough to use your vehicle title(assuming your vehicle is paid off) to get a $3k loan for a engine for about 6%-8%.

You also can use your insurance to cover a new engine,sure you pay the deductable and have slightly increased rates for a few years.

If you have 200k on a car isn't that kind of high? Vehicles with those kind of miles, especially in the salt belt, may be better off replacing right?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think say if it has 200,000 on it that its too old to repair, thinking about mine with 166,000, and Chris' with 198,000 or so either one are still worth it body wise etc to repair whatever is wrong I think

Now with that I have also seen a couple KJs with 65-70,000 that I wouldn't buy for 500 bucks

Depends on condition etc as well if its worth investing the money.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 200k on a car isn't that kind of high? Vehicles with those kind of miles, especially in the salt belt, may be better off replacing right?

Had a '10 come in last month with 280k on the clock.

So that would be not worth putting a engine in?

Oh and some people actually wash there vehicle.Just because you live in the salt belt does not mean it will be rusted out in 5 years if you actually take care of it and wash more then the shiny painted parts.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh and some people actually wash there vehicle.Just because you live in the salt belt does not mean it will be rusted out in 5 years if you actually take care of it and wash more then the shiny painted parts.

Exactly, i live in upstate ny this winter has brought almost no snow but every other winter and any time we get snow the roads im on are 100 percent covered in salt and sand but the underside of my jeep looks exactly as it did when i bought it in 2009...but some people are too dumb to grasp the concept of preventative maintenance...i get looked at like a 90 year old lady with 150 cats because of how much i wash my vehicles and clean every square inch...but the same people lookin and laughing have paid a shop to paint every car in there driveway within 3 years of getting the vehicles...but im the one who is gunna wash the paint off of my vehicles...ha

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score

Value of repair compared to value of the vehicle. A 2010 yes its barely 2 years old. A 2003? Eh if you really love that vehicle and have had no other issues maybe. But that's an 8 year old car. Who knows what else could go wrong. And if you don't have high mechanical knowledge you could be paying out the ***** to get things fixed.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Value of repair compared to value of the vehicle. A 2010 yes its barely 2 years old. A 2003? Eh if you really love that vehicle and have had no other issues maybe. But that's an 8 year old car. Who knows what else could go wrong. And if you don't have high mechanical knowledge you could be paying out the ***** to get things fixed.

the age of the vehicle isnt really a factor in how much life the vehicle has left at only 8 years old, while it may be 8 years old it has 80000 miles less than the 2010 that tjkj mentioned and if it has been properly maintained then its pretty straight forward as far as what to expect in the way of mechanical failures, my f350 has 150k miles on it and its 10 years old, i can say without a doubt that i will easily get another 10 years out of it as long as i continue to take care of it, ive had cars before that i picked up for next to nothing simply because the owners didnt think it was worth it to replace a blown engine, 300 bucks at a junkyard for the motor and 800 to get it thrown in and that car still runs no problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A 8 year old vehicle is not old.The average age of a vehicle in the US is 11 years old.

Yes parts do wearout but if you keep up on maintenance and replace the small stuff at first sign of failure(like play in balljoints) it's actually pretty cheap in the long run when you look at the whole picture.It's when you leave issues till total failure is when it becomes very expensive and not worth it.

My father's '01 F250 PS is just shy of 800k,same original engine and trans.He's scouting for a new engine and trans as in the last 5k it's had a harder time towing 15k.The rest of the truck is in great condition,new balljoints/tie rod ends,new t-case(was not a failure,was tampered with),becasue of the t-case issue the front diff was rebuild,new u-joints/carrier bearing,the rear diff was went through and freshened up,and zero frame/body issues.It will cost him about $9k to put a new engine/trans in but it's far cheaper,and a better choice for longevity,then buying a new $50k truck.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
A 8 year old vehicle is not old.The average age of a vehicle in the US is 11 years old.

Yes parts do wearout but if you keep up on maintenance and replace the small stuff at first sign of failure(like play in balljoints) it's actually pretty cheap in the long run when you look at the whole picture.It's when you leave issues till total failure is when it becomes very expensive and not worth it.

My father's '01 F250 PS is just shy of 800k,same original engine and trans.He's scouting for a new engine and trans as in the last 5k it's had a harder time towing 15k.The rest of the truck is in great condition,new balljoints/tie rod ends,new t-case(was not a failure,was tampered with),becasue of the t-case issue the front diff was rebuild,new u-joints/carrier bearing,the rear diff was went through and freshened up,and zero frame/body issues.It will cost him about $9k to put a new engine/trans in but it's far cheaper,and a better choice for longevity,then buying a new $50k truck.

The average age is 11 but, that isn't necessarily a good thing.
Now is that ford a diesel? I can't see too many gas engines running that long

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The problem is the mentality of people in general has gone from having a vehicle as a long-term (and for some, life-long) investment, putting the effort and care into maintenance vs. what we have today... where vehicles are seen as more of a "disposable" item. My parents are a perfect example of this... they ALWAYS trade off their vehicles before they hit 100K because they fear that number equals instant failure. Whereas Aaron and myself are of the other mindset - my KJ has the least amount of miles between the 3 vehicles that we own, sitting at 182K+ miles on it. The highest mileage on any of the vehicles is up over 330K miles.

It really depends on which camp you are in, in terms of vehicle age/mileage.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
PS stands for Power Stroke,but your probally to young to remember that.

You must be registered for see images

I know what power stoke motors are. I don't spend much time talking about fords so i haven't seen it abbreviated before

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have decided to keep the kj and find me a motor in the spring in the mean time i bought a coworkers 03 dakota truck and the little woman said we could fix it later hehe :) i can put a motor in and get it to run and i agree the trans might go out later but still cheaper than a new rubicon which is what i was thinking of getting, and still isn't out of the picture after i pay all this other stuff off but all is going to be good and little red will be back on the road or in the bush by end of summer :) with a lift and tires !!!!!!!!!!!!!