Blower motor went fzzzztttt...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm not sure it's the blower motor so I'm asking for input from the knowledgeable KJ Country core audience. Driving home from the doctor's office last week and went to turn the fan up to get things cooled off. Turned it to #3 and about two seconds later it went dead. Tried all four settings with no joy, figured it might be the dread resistor block. Next day went down to the dealer and procured said resistor block and set about replacing it. After it was installed I tried the fan and still nothing. Came inside and read some more, went out and did some more tests. This is what I have done so far:

Replaced resistor block - no joy.
Checked fan switch - all settings read good according to the test from the FSM.
Checked blower relay in junction block - good.
Checked 40A fuse for blower motor - good
Checked for voltage at relay - good.

One thing I didn't do but will try tomorrow is to pull the switch connector to verify it has voltage coming in. So can anyone think of anything else I might have overlooked? Right now I'm leaning towards it being the blower motor itself but I want to make sure I've checked everything else before I go thru the hassle of replacing it.

bmanice

Reaction score
sounds like the problem i was having, i did exactly as you with the same results...

... just for fun, check the wires going to the fan... jiggle them while you have the switch on for it to blow... for some reason mine were loose?? and i just played with them a little and it started working... odd, i know....

g/l

brandon

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin, I had that happen... dealer replaced blower.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Blake, that's something I didn't do. Went out and checked it just now and there is 12V at the connector so I guess it's time to find a blower motor. I'll just make sure I take plenty of lubricant when I visit the dealership.:eek:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't turn the knob but I had checked the switch to make sure all four connections had continuity and I had replaced the resistor block - figured as long as I was getting voltage to the connector I was good. Called a local dealer and got a price of $150, cheapest I found online was $110 at http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and pick the one they have up since I really don't want to wait for delivery, and by the time I add shipping I won't be saving that much...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and picked up the blower motor today, it was surprisingly easy to swap out. I have some errands to run this evening but later on I will do a quick how-to for those who are interested.