Blend door or heater core problem?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by rigid, Nov 7, 2019.

1. rigid

rigid Full Access Member

Not sure what the next step should be. All 4 motor speeds work. Vent selector changes as it should. Heater hoses are hot. Air is slightly warm but not hot at all. Coolant is full. Ac does not work so it does not change when switched from hot to cold. I can try to flush the heater core before I would attempt to change it. How can I tell if the blend door is working ?

Thank you

2. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

What year are we talking about? You should be able to hear the motor working when you move from hot to cold or vice versa. Get you ear up to the dash and see if you can hear a buzz.

3. rigid

rigid Full Access Member

Sorry about that. It is 2003 Should I be able to see the flap door or linkage behind the glove box move?

Thanks

4. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

Doubtful you'll see anything but wouldn't hurt to watch while you're listening. My 02 made a distinct buzz when the motor worked. Mine failed slowly. The door defaults to cold when the engine is shut off. The motor worked fine in that direction but would stick going from cold to warm. finally it just stopped completely. It's possible that the door is stuck. In that case the motor will probably still buzz.

5. rigid

rigid Full Access Member

I flushed the heater core and water was clear from the start. No change in heat. I do not hear any noise where I rotate the switch. Now to top it off this has to be a daily driver for a while. Hit a deer with primary vehicle last night. 4* this morning. Don't have 10 hours to take the dash out right now. I have heard about cutting a hole in the box and moving the door by hand. Do you know exactly where they do this? Also i was a year off, this one is a 2002

Thanks for your help

6. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

Use the Search function Top Right on main page.
    Typing Blend Door got me lots of results!

7. Jeff Ferguson

Jeff Ferguson New Member

My '04 Liberty had following symptom:
    Barely preceptible heat when dial in red zone (min or max)

Other factors:
    A/C works fine
    Blower motor works all 4 speeds
    Defrost to Floor vents all work fine
    Temp gauge in middle, rock solid

What I did:
    Inspected for loose vacuum lines, loose electrical plug-ins (found nothing)
    Flushed heater core only by filling with Prestone flush (30 minutes)
    Flushed and backed flushed with garden hose spray nozzle both inlet and outlet
    What came out was not impressive, transparent pink/rust in color for 15 seconds than ran clear for next 5 minutes

Somehow, someway it fixed the problem, could cook marshmallows in the cabin now. What gives? Was sure it was blend door actuator or dial controller.
    Grateful for this forum as i would not have given this idea the time of day but am thrilled it works!

Jeff

8. rigid

rigid Full Access Member

Don't have time until weekend take the dash apart and also wanted to try to find out what the problem is for sure. I heard no noise when using the switch but they tell me around the hose that I don't hear anyway! Cut a hole to see if a problem was obvious or I could manually move the door for now to get heat.
    When I rotated the switch the door does not move. There are no obvious broken pieces. I am afraid if I try to force it to move something will break. Any quick suggestions for now? Will I have to take the whole dash out to change the actuator? Is it possible to tell by the attached photos if the door is in the heat position? I can feel that it is shut all the way.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

9. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

The motor that moves the doors is a Stepper motor ie. it receives pulses from the controller to take one step at a time in either direction and then stop solidly. If you remove the motor and rotate the shaft by hand you can feel this stepping action but the shaft must not be seized solid!

These motors can seize up but it could be the control panel ie. the switch.

Download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual here and go to page 8W-42-1 onwards …...shows lots of fuses and connectors that are relevant and also the grounding point nearby which may be dirty or loose!

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/