Black smoke? Just a bit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sevenmilesout

Reaction score
Hi Phil. I'm in 24320 Champagne et Fontaine (Dordogne). Where are you? What I was asking at the time was whether in replacing the idler pulleys I had disturbed something else which might have been causing the black smoke. It now seems that the hose probably split when I was removing/replacing it and I didn't notice. My next job will be cleaning the MAP sensor. Then there's the gearbox mounting to replace on my Mercedes W204, the front subframe, engine mountings and timing chain kit to replace on my 1989 Mercedes R107 500SL, and the E Type to finish ..... oh, and a Happy New Year to you also!
Hiya John, I'm in Montpellier most of the time, 34090, although I have a house in the Lot near Cahors too.....long story.

Yes, I eventually understood what you meant about the pulleys :) I was a little tired when I replied to your post. MAP sensor clean is an easy job & should give you a bit more umph when it's complete. It isn't too expensive if you want to replace it though.

Sounds like you have a fleet with a little work to do. I have a mate near Limoges with the same sort of job list. (He has a couple of 2CV based kit cars & a few other projects.)

If you can find the time in the future, when you replace the hose, I would recommend giving the Flow Control Valve a good clean & check its gaskets & tightness to the air intake. It's likely to be gummed up with a gloopy carbon/oil mix. The CRD is really sensitive to any turbo plumbing leaks. The FCV is 3 & 4 in the image I've attached & that connects with your new hose.

Keep in touch.

Attachments

• FCV & EGR demounted.jpg
    FCV & EGR demounted.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The Flow Control Valve has plastic gear teeth that can break leaving it closed or partially closed (on the US version anyway). It might make clicking noises as the gear teeth skip past each other. Some people remove the butterfly valve. Mine fell off into the same box with my EGR valve.

John Todd

Reaction score
OK, thanks
Hiya John, I'm in Montpellier most of the time, 34090, although I have a house in the Lot near Cahors too.....long story.

Yes, I eventually understood what you meant about the pulleys :) I was a little tired when I replied to your post. MAP sensor clean is an easy job & should give you a bit more umph when it's complete. It isn't too expensive if you want to replace it though.

Sounds like you have a fleet with a little work to do. I have a mate near Limoges with the same sort of job list. (He has a couple of 2CV based kit cars & a few other projects.)

If you can find the time in the future, when you replace the hose, I would recommend giving the Flow Control Valve a good clean & check its gaskets & tightness to the air intake. It's likely to be gummed up with a gloopy carbon/oil mix. The CRD is really sensitive to any turbo plumbing leaks. The FCV is 3 & 4 in the image I've attached & that connects with your new hose.

Keep in touch.

OK, thanks for that. I'll add it to the list! I love Cahors. Went there on a Jag event in 2018. Stayed in a hotel on the river.

Latest posts

Members online