Bilstein shocks with a 3" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone, well except for solo

If you remember we have had many pass through over the years trying to do the same thing he is, downing everyone , name calling, trying to bring others down to his level, his is the best, no one else knows anything.
In the end there is always a core group on the various forums who keep going, keep having fun and enjoying what we do.
So while he is the current flash in the pan..............
We'll just keep on doing what we do best ( but won't tell him how much fun we are all having! )
OK back to the garage , a bumper in mockup needs some tweaking yet:Bye:
I'm not bashing anyone unless provoked. He came at me. I'm sure there are a lot of good people here.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

OIFvet

Reaction score
Thanks for the input

From what everyone says, the first thing I should do is return this lift.
When it arrives, that is exactly what I will do.
Now, the next question is what lift do I get?
I want about 2.5 -3 inches
Something that doesn't alter the ride too much
Is affordable.
Doesn't turn the KJ in a death trap.
and doesn't require another purchase just to over-correct for poor craftsmanship

Thoughts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is affordable.
and doesn't require another purchase just to over-correct for poor craftsmanship

Thoughts?

Trust us when we tell you that you will love the ride and it will be 10 times better than it was brand new
Ride will be way better, handling better overall
Affordable is a BIG question though, just what do you call affordable before we move on. Plus if you do it right there will be no over corect for poor craftsmanship, we use only quality parts
Now budget wise where are you and then we'll tell you what is possible

By the way my 04 was my daily driver for over 221,000 miles, bought it brand new, was lifted over 200,000 of those miles, so no we don't build death traps

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is affordable.

Thoughts?

Well the thing is, you get what you pay for
You paid, what, a little over $300 for the RC lift?
Now you know what kind of quality it is and how much work would need to be done to maintain that lift
The thing that ***** is we have a unibody so the only type of lift we can do is a suspension lift and the best one for the money is OME, although it is fairly expensive for some
It may seem like you're paying more upfront, but in the long run you will be paying much less
I got ALL of my parts from various places and totaled in the end to about $740 give or take
I'm sitting at 3 1/4" with the OME springs, Bilstein shocks, 3 ring clevis, and one upper iso in the rear
Any lower than 3" I feel isn't even worth lifting, other than ride quality
It wouldn't even look lifted once you got bigger tires with 2-2.5" of lift and I feel that lifting is all about looks and ride quality
Mine feels low still even at the height I'm at and it ***** that it'd cost so much money to go higher

Anyhow.. I'm getting carried away
OME is your best bet and the only suspension lift you'll be able to buy that will last and be cheaper in the long run

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way Solo how do you like Smokeys BBQ Shack, thought it was pretty good when I ate there , had the pulled pork, some okra and mac and cheese .
Or maybe you've never been there just asking

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the thing is, you get what you pay for
You paid, what, a little over $300 for the RC lift?
Now you know what kind of quality it is and how much work would need to be done to maintain that lift
The thing that ***** is we have a unibody so the only type of lift we can do is a suspension lift and the best one for the money is OME, although it is fairly expensive for some
It may seem like you're paying more upfront, but in the long run you will be paying much less
I got ALL of my parts from various places and totaled in the end to about $740 give or take
I'm sitting at 3 1/4" with the OME springs, Bilstein shocks, 3 ring clevis, and one upper iso in the rear
Any lower than 3" I feel isn't even worth lifting, other than ride quality
It wouldn't even look lifted once you got bigger tires with 2-2.5" of lift and I feel that lifting is all about looks and ride quality
Mine feels low still even at the height I'm at and it ***** that it'd cost so much money to go higher

Anyhow.. I'm getting carried away
OME is your best bet and the only suspension lift you'll be able to buy that will last and be cheaper in the long run

Not sure what he means by not worth lifting below 3 inches??
Many do a 2.5 to 3 and are quite happy and don't have to worry about UCAs at that height
You can have good ride quality at any height if done right
Just a couple of examples here,
mine on the right at 4 inches and " some extra:icon_razz: " with 32s and John 3:17 on the left with 245-75-16s ( 30.5 inch tall tire) and 3.5 inches of lift
You must be registered for see images attach

now here is my 03 , its at 2.5 inches of lift , 265-70-16s ( 30.6 inches tall ) and to me it looks lifted , or is it just me ? :emotions34:
You must be registered for see images attach

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't really mean to US it wouldn't look lifted
But, if someone sees you driving down the road they're not going to think you're lifted at all at 2.5"
Mine looks lifted now only because I have small ass tires but when I get my 31s it'll make that gap between the tire and fender smaller and make it not look as tall
I like the look of a big space where you can see all the suspension parts even with having big tires
Now, your Kili you had with over 4" of lift looks lifted and you would KNOW it's lifted driving past it, which again, is what I like

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the 2.5" OME lift kit. That is the simplest way to go and OME is a good product. Maybe not the cheapest but that extra money brings good peace of mind.

And for the guys complaining about how much the lifts cost. I'm in Canada. The cheapest place for me to order from due to shipping costs was JBA. For my full lift kit by the time it got to my door was closing in on $2000 CDN. You gotta pay to play and you get what you pay for.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't really mean to US it wouldn't look lifted
But, if someone sees you driving down the road they're not going to think you're lifted at all at 2.5"
Mine looks lifted now only because I have small ass tires but when I get my 31s it'll make that gap between the tire and fender smaller and make it not look as tall
I like the look of a big space where you can see all the suspension parts even with having big tires
Now, your Kili you had with over 4" of lift looks lifted and you would KNOW it's lifted driving past it, which again, is what I like

Not sure had a TJ owner stop me down in Winston Salem with the green one and said nice lift, what do you have 45 minutes later and warm beer I got to leave , 3 thumbs up from XJ owners I passed coming up out of NC , they all thought I was lifted

OIFvet

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll keep looking around. And I will stick with my original 2.5 to 3 inch gain. That is what I did for my Cherokee, and it lasted well over 200k miles with a good ride.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, never have gotten that in mine
Guess we'll see once I get my bigger tires

To the OP, good luck in your search!

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way Solo how do you like Smokeys BBQ Shack, thought it was pretty good when I ate there , had the pulled pork, some okra and mac and cheese .
Or maybe you've never been there just asking
LOL I'm not sure if this is meant to be some kind of joke or if it's a serious question? I'll answer it seriously just in case. Never heard of it. Don't know where that is. If I come across it, I'll give it a try although I'm not much of a fan of barbeque. I'm from NY.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To op:

My bad i thought the whole time that solo guy was you lol. I'm glad you're returning it.

Jba is a good place to start. You could look up part # and check ebay though. If you do enough research, you can get part by part. Just be sure to remember that rear shocks should be longer.

Most recommend jba because its easier and you have 1 place to take it back in case shit goes wrong. There are a couple things you can only get it from jba like custom front upper control arm, rear upper (though alternative if you do some modification), front steel differential and etc.

Oh and ignore RRO.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL I'm not sure if this is meant to be some kind of joke or if it's a serious question? I'll answer it seriously just in case. Never heard of it. Don't know where that is. If I come across it, I'll give it a try although I'm not much of a fan of barbeque. I'm from NY.

No joke, I'm always serious

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually quite shocked you guys haven't put a list of parts together, item by item, of what people need to order to get the proper lift. That way you wouldn't get the same question so much

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have
It's the FAQ in the lifting section
Nobody likes to read up on things so they ask the same question over and over

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.