best tire for price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My friend lost his hookup and i can no longer get a set of tires for $200. i know mine wont pass inspection next month so i need to find a set that is very durable and good off-road and in the snow and does not cost too much. my girlfriend uses National Generals on her 94 Grand Cherokee Limited but she doesnt take it offroad. they cost about $75 a tire and she seems to have no problems in the snow with them.

I know everyone here swears by the Revos but is there anything else almost as good but much cheaper? What is the actual name of the brand and model of the Revos? and how much on average do they cost?

Thanks for the help.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pathfinder A/T's

I went with a cheaper tire and they hold up pretty darn good off-roading. I have these and they ran me $102 per tire.

Pathfinder A/T Tire: Discount Tire
You must be registered for see images

On the JEEP:
HTJeep6_001.JPG

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
my tires...Firestone destination AT's
about 88 a tire....
had them for about a year now..performed great thus far

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Expensive BFG ATs
about 160 a tire for me

You must be registered for see images attach

They outperformed the pathfinders in a real world trial run.

Didnt they phil?

LOL LOL

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i do some light off roading every now and then. just dirt and bumpy roads and paths and puddles and hills to climb. i dont rock crawl. and we get a decent amount of snow here every winter. So i think the all terrain tires would do me best. I also am wondering if the A/T tires will affect ride comfort. i also want a tire that has excellent grip and wont allow me to spin my wheels starting up from a stop when the road is wet. That gets to be embarassing when u pull off the line just barely pressing down the accelerator and you just sit there with the wheels peeling out.

And last but not least i need something that wont wear so fast. ive got only 12,500 miles on my KJ and the tires are almost worn out.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I love the BF Goodriches. The tread wear is very good on mine. They've got about 25,000 miles on them now and there is quite a bit of tread left. Also, if you do some comparison shopping, you can get them for around $115-$120. There is a noticeable increase in road noise, but I don't mind. I live in Phoenix, so I don't have any first hand experience, but they're supposed to be very good in snow as well.

Here's the tires at 4 Wheel Parts (for info, shipping would be horrible)
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...tName=TIRES&man=BFGO&linecode=BFGO&prodline=7

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is has been discussed elsewhere, but can you fit those BFGs on a KJ that is not lifted or prelowered? I heard the tread pattern rubs even if you swap the same size as the factory.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
I went with the Expensive BFG ATs
about 160 a tire for me

They outperformed the pathfinders in a real world trial run.

Didnt they phil?

LOL LOL

Bhahaha! Yea, but I still made it!! Anywho I saved 50+ bucks a tire (50 * 5 = $250). Enough to grab all the skid plates that I thought you were missing <---- \:D/

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the General Grabber AT2's in 245/70R16 on my stock 2006 Renegade. They have the same tread patternas the BFG AT's, but they cost about $80 a tire, and come with a 60,000 mile warantee where as the BFG's have no warantee at all. I have put them through there paces, and have been very pleased. I have ran BFG AT's in the past, and can see no reason to not go with the General Grabbers instead. By the way, the Generals have a slightly deeper tread pattern, and are 1/10th of an inch larger thab the BFG's, and I have absolutely no rubbing at all.

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the General's:

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check them out on www.tirerack.com

the reviews are what sold me, and when I went to get a price quote from a local tireshop, they all had great things to say about the tires, and a couple of them were ordering them for their rigs.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those do look very similar to the BFGs. I may have to look at those for next time. Is General the actual brand or is it a spinoff of another brand? Also, a little off topic, but does anyone know how much MT/Rs run and if they'll fit on a stock prelowered KJ?

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General is an actual brand. General is owned by Continental. Nissan fronteirs, and exterra's occasionally ship with General tires as OEM.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Personally, I love the BF Goodriches. The tread wear is very good on mine. They've got about 25,000 miles on them now and there is quite a bit of tread left. Also, if you do some comparison shopping, you can get them for around $115-$120. There is a noticeable increase in road noise, but I don't mind. I live in Phoenix, so I don't have any first hand experience, but they're supposed to be very good in snow as well.

Here's the tires at 4 Wheel Parts (for info, shipping would be horrible)

4 wheel parts has 265/70s listed at 177 bucks, without shipping, and without replacement plans.

Im not sure how that is a comparison for the better?

MoladoGuy said:
Bhahaha! Yea, but I still made it!! Anywho I saved 50+ bucks a tire (50 * 5 = $250). Enough to grab all the skid plates that I thought you were missing <---- \:D/

Touche' Phil.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't using the website as a comparison for price. I had just posted it to show the features of the tires in the description. That's why I said the link was for info, as shipping would be horrible. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. They are expensive there.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
I wasn't using the website as a comparison for price. I had just posted it to show the features of the tires in the description. That's why I said the link was for info, as shipping would be horrible. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. They are expensive there.

<--- foot in mouth

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Logistics suck

So I'm on tirerack ready to order my tires and I notice they are shipping from the Newark. DE warehouse, about 5 minutes from where I work. I sent an email asking if I could just save the $80 in shipping and pick them up....

Their response: No. #-o

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Logistics suck

AtlanticLiberty said:
So I'm on tirerack ready to order my tires and I notice they are shipping from the Newark. DE warehouse, about 5 minutes from where I work. I sent an email asking if I could just save the $80 in shipping and pick them up....

Their response: No. #-o

Laugh, can you tell them to shove it and you'll go somewhere else? Or are you pretty limited?