best lift options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that's the smart thing to do but I'm worse than a kid at Christmas! I'll Just wait then. Guess since I'm still sick I'll order my jba Struts today and new rear springs and shocks. Am i missing thing. Brake lines too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my JBA UCA's in today!!!! Plus my terra flex bump stops and moog lower balljoints. Wheels and Lugnuts should be here in the day two.

Question is......Do i go on and install the control arms and lbj's and bump stops now since its already lifted with daystar 2.5? Or wait till i get my JBA struts in? how will I know If I need the spacer that came on the upper balljoint? I'm sure if read the directions that came with the control arms it will answer that question! lol

You can do either, install now, or wait
As far as the spacer you always need it , its to space the boot up to the ball joint.
Also only fully tighten the UCA bolts once full weight is on the ground .

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh got ya! Thanks for the info. Just received my wheels and center caps! Waiting on lug nuts to arrive. Wish I felt better so could go have the tires mounted up. Guess that can wait till tomorrow. :( No rush we got time. Wife just informed me she's ready for me to do the back porch addition. Son of gun, That's gonna cut into my liberty money I'm sure! lol. I'm not complaining though,as far as wives go I'm a lucky guy. She doesn't stop me from doing much. Or complain about it me buying stuff all the time! lol All the bills stayed paid and money put back every month cant ask for much more than that. I budget in my Play money!!! lol Usually one job a week goes to the play fund. This time of year is the busy time for me and my guys! So Its a little easier to come up with more play money! lol

I'll keep yall posted on the progress! Pics to come!!! From stock when we got it to how it will set now, then once the new JBA struts go on and a rood rack. I'm liking the gecko roof rack from rock lizard.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhhh got ya! Thanks for the info. Just received my wheels and center caps! Waiting on lug nuts to arrive. Wish I felt better so could go have the tires mounted up. Guess that can wait till tomorrow. :( No rush we got time. Wife just informed me she's ready for me to do the back porch addition. Son of gun, That's gonna cut into my liberty money I'm sure! lol. I'm not complaining though,as far as wives go I'm a lucky guy. She doesn't stop me from doing much. Or complain about it me buying stuff all the time! lol All the bills stayed paid and money put back every month cant ask for much more than that. I budget in my Play money!!! lol Usually one job a week goes to the play fund. This time of year is the busy time for me and my guys! So Its a little easier to come up with more play money! lol

I'll keep yall posted on the progress! Pics to come!!! From stock when we got it to how it will set now, then once the new JBA struts go on and a rood rack. I'm liking the gecko roof rack from rock lizard.

I had the Gecko rack from RL at one point on the 04, shame he doesn't make them any more ( well unless he has started back up again? )

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Gecko rack from RL at one point on the 04, shame he doesn't make them any more ( well unless he has started back up again? )

On the site it shows new design gecko full length roof rack w/light bar 900. Maybe its old and I should email him!?

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had both the original and the full length w/ light bar

If the one with light bar is still available through rocklizard how did you like it? It looks pretty dan tough and We will be using it to tote stuff around and what ever else. Hell it will probably get a bunch of pigs thrown up there! Damn things keep taking over my land. I own 68 acres in north east texas and every time I think I'm thinning them out in comes another group! Fun to shoot and eat plenty good but man they do damage.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the OME 927/948 combo of springs, gives an honest 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height.

Hopefully you don't mind, but I figured I would piggy back on the OP's topic since this is answer I'm looking for. Tom, just to clarify, if I go with the OME springs, Bilsteins, and associated bump stops, that will net me a TRUE 2.5" lift? I know sometimes companies inflate numbers, I was just curious to know what the honest lift height would be on this setup.

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't mind, but I figured I would piggy back on the OP's topic since this is answer I'm looking for. Tom, just to clarify, if I go with the OME springs, Bilsteins, and associated bump stops, that will net me a TRUE 2.5" lift? I know sometimes companies inflate numbers, I was just curious to know what the honest lift height would be on this setup.

Thanks!

Yes 2.5 inches over new stock height
using after April 12.2002 measurements
so 21.5 inches from middle of wheel to bottom of flare

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of ways to go really,
one is the OME 927/948 combo of springs, gives an honest 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height. Then if you ever want more its easy to do.
Shocks, since OME no longer makes the extended ones , Bilstien are just about the ticket, stock up front, 99-04 Dakota extra cab 4x4 shocks for the rear
But with tire size I'd stick with 2.5 inches
I've installed either 37-38 OME lifts plus two different ones on my 04 before going JBA coilovers.

Now the JBA coilovers are as much difference as going from worn out sagged stockers to OME , only better
I have the total control on the 03, all 4 shocks are adjustable as far as rebound and compression. Depending on the terrain and roads I adjust accordingly. Love em, wouldn't have another KJ without them. Well I do , the 05 will be next after my step father stops driving it .
They live back a country road, ( dirt, some gravel-limestone) holes/ washboard areas etc , I can do about 20-25 MPH max in the 05 , with the 03 at 55 its as smooth as heading down the interstate
sooo, im about to pull the trigger on at least a 2.5" lift. all these years ive wanted the franken lift, or the OME set up you described. so your telling me that the JBA coil overs are better? if this is the case, then ill go this route as i also like the ability to adjust things. can you please describe in more detail a franken lift type setup AND COSTS vs the JBA coil overs AND COST? also do you have them on the back also??? is it the same exact coil overs?? in other words, id need to order 2 sets correct? and do i still need the JBA upper control arms? its a 2006 gasser. thanks a lot. going to order as soon as you reply depending on your answer.

my set up currently is a 11yr old 2006 sagging stock suspension. tires are 255/65/16 and i dont plan to go much bigger than that if any unless a 2.5" makes them look weird. money isnt a concern at this point as i just sold some land so give me your honest opinion.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
sooo, im about to pull the trigger on at least a 2.5" lift. all these years ive wanted the franken lift, or the OME set up you described. so your telling me that the JBA coil overs are better? if this is the case, then ill go this route as i also like the ability to adjust things. can you please describe in more detail a franken lift type setup AND COSTS vs the JBA coil overs AND COST? also do you have them on the back also??? is it the same exact coil overs?? in other words, id need to order 2 sets correct? and do i still need the JBA upper control arms? its a 2006 gasser. thanks a lot. going to order as soon as you reply depending on your answer.

my set up currently is a 11yr old 2006 sagging stock suspension. tires are 255/65/16 and i dont plan to go much bigger than that if any unless a 2.5" makes them look weird. money isnt a concern at this point as i just sold some land so give me your honest opinion.

Frankenlift is just OME 927 springs with a spacer style puck installed with them giving 3.75-4 inches when settled in. Ride is no different than just using OME springs like most do. If you only want 2-2.5 inches then a Frankenlift is not for you.

JBA coilovers are just that, a custom built coil ( smaller diameter than OME or OEM coils with an adjustable shock for height and also compression and rebound. The kits come with the JBA arms.
No there is not a coilover for the rear. Rear uses a regular springs and shocks setup. BUT for the 2.5 inch lift you can add in custom shocks which are adjustable as far as compression and rebound go .
Two completely different setups as far as ride go, plus the JBA coilovers have over an inch more travel in the front over anything else