best lift options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, long story short me and my son(15) put on a daystar 2.5" spacer lift kit on his 2002 liberty sport 4x4 v6.. I've ordered lifted jba upper control arms and new moog lower ball joints. In every ones opinion what is the best lift out there? True suspension lift. Or best parts to use together.

Not trying to run monster tires as i Just picked up A new set of Cooper stt pro's. I was thinking about orderinf the jba struts and diff springs for the rear. While yes money has been spent and im sure this set up we have now will work,I do tend push things pretty hard! Granted this my sons Jeep I just wanna feel safe knowing We have installed some good stuff. I will never go over a 31" inch tire. Tires now are 30x9.50x15. So if ya'll don't mind give me your favorite set ups! I'm not big on spending money twice but in the same aspect I want to build this to last. Cause once he's done with it it will be my 4 wheeler! lol

I look forward to hearing what have to say and cant wait to start ordering more new parts! lol This sight has been amazing! You guys and gals are great!

Thanks,
TAT

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with a true suspension lift. I had the daystar on mine and it ended up feeling like a boat out on the ocean going down the highway over bumps. Even made my wife sick due to the amount of motion due to really dead shocks and springs. I know you will get a lot of good info here for you lift. I am currently running Old Man Emu Springs and front shocks. It rides 10 times better. And I am sitting right were I want. There are many ways to go about skinning this cat it is all in what you want to spend to get there.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply so quickly! The more I read the more I now realize I should have went a different route on the suspension, but seeing the look in my little mans eyes when we installed the daystar( he paid for I might add) was priceless! My dad wasnt around alot so I didnt get to do those kinda things. Made it all worth while. I told him we gonna change some stuff up bu that I'll foot the bill on this one! By the time its over I should have just done a straight axle conversion! lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of ways to go really,
one is the OME 927/948 combo of springs, gives an honest 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height. Then if you ever want more its easy to do.
Shocks, since OME no longer makes the extended ones , Bilstien are just about the ticket, stock up front, 99-04 Dakota extra cab 4x4 shocks for the rear
But with tire size I'd stick with 2.5 inches
I've installed either 37-38 OME lifts plus two different ones on my 04 before going JBA coilovers.

Now the JBA coilovers are as much difference as going from worn out sagged stockers to OME , only better
I have the total control on the 03, all 4 shocks are adjustable as far as rebound and compression. Depending on the terrain and roads I adjust accordingly. Love em, wouldn't have another KJ without them. Well I do , the 05 will be next after my step father stops driving it .
They live back a country road, ( dirt, some gravel-limestone) holes/ washboard areas etc , I can do about 20-25 MPH max in the 05 , with the 03 at 55 its as smooth as heading down the interstate

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really leaning towards the JBA coil overs, I know they are kinda pricey but I've read some great reviews. Plus everything I've ordered from jba seems to ship quick and all seem to be quality products.

Can I get the jba coil overs and ad that plate they sale? or is that kinda lie stacking lift kits?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really leaning towards the JBA coil overs, I know they are kinda pricey but I've read some great reviews. Plus everything I've ordered from jba seems to ship quick and all seem to be quality products.

Can I get the jba coil overs and ad that plate they sale? or is that kinda lie stacking lift kits?

Don't need any top pate etc, the coilovers are adjustable from 2.5 to 4 inches ( or a bit more :icon_razz: ) , just crank them up to the desired height you want

I have had a bunch of 4X4s over the last 40 years with a wide variety of home grown and aftermarket lifts . The JBA coilovers are hands down the best riding and handling lift I have ever used . The suspension soaks up all of the bumps etc

Last edited:

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I wanted to hear! Looks JBA coilovers will be on order!

So depending on height I set the coilovers at I guess that will depend the size Springs i need to run in the rear? Lets say I set the coilovers at 3" or a tad more. It would probable be best to dump the daystar spacers i have in the rear and go with ?" coils?

I dont mind going to bigger tire size but I know I'm limited on what the libertys with pull with out going to 4.10 gear so and also would a better cv axle need to be addad in the front? Man I'm fixin to have a lot goodies on the way! Good thing the jba lifted control arms will be here tomorrow! Wont have to get those now atleast! since I already ordered them! lol

Honesty on tire size 32 would probably be my max if not 31. These cooper stt pro's look wicked though. So i will run the 30x9.50x15 for a while. Some one will get a good deal on wheels and tires on here if i decide to change not long down the road. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions for me. JBA's 4 link looks pretty killer too and the price tag isn't that bad either! Ok I'll stop for now or I could go all day! lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats what I wanted to hear! Looks JBA coilovers will be on order!

So depending on height I set the coilovers at I guess that will depend the size Springs i need to run in the rear? Lets say I set the coilovers at 3" or a tad more. It would probable be best to dump the daystar spacers i have in the rear and go with ?" coils?

I dont mind going to bigger tire size but I know I'm limited on what the libertys with pull with out going to 4.10 gear so and also would a better cv axle need to be addad in the front? Man I'm fixin to have a lot goodies on the way! Good thing the jba lifted control arms will be here tomorrow! Wont have to get those now atleast! since I already ordered them! lol

Honesty on tire size 32 would probably be my max if not 31. These cooper stt pro's look wicked though. So i will run the 30x9.50x15 for a while. Some one will get a good deal on wheels and tires on here if i decide to change not long down the road. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions for me. JBA's 4 link looks pretty killer too and the price tag isn't that bad either! Ok I'll stop for now or I could go all day! lol

OME 948 coils in back for 2.5 inch lift
OME 948 coils in back WITH one per side upper isolater ( added to the original ) gives you 3 inches in back
Anything much over a 30-30.50 inch tire " benefits greatly " from a gear swap those that say it don't have never ridden in one with the swap.
CV's I run NAPA remanned ones and ever at 4.5 inches of lift they worked
Also when going to the coil setup in the back, 2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch for bumpstops works great

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help. Looks like a got a plan(new) in motion! Gonna be totally different jeep from where it started! My buddy i scored this liberty from for my son was the original owner. He always wanted to lift it but wife wouldn't let him. My the changes the libby is going through in a very short amount of time!!!! Crap, these things are addicting!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help. Looks like a got a plan(new) in motion! Gonna be totally different jeep from where it started! My buddy i scored this liberty from for my son was the original owner. He always wanted to lift it but wife wouldn't let him. My the changes the libby is going through in a very short amount of time!!!! Crap, these things are addicting!

mmmm , addicting, ....:help:..........never noticed that before :happy175::happy175:
Wow , maybe I am addicted to Jeeps/4x4's, someone should of warned me back in 1972 that something like this would happen, now what ?? :Insane::Insane::icon_razz::happy175::happy175:

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I tell ya. I've always had old school hot rods and 4x4's. Now days I have newer stuff but still have my hot rods and bikes. These libertys are blast to work on though. Something new really. I think The makes it that much better. I really do tend to go over board. Kinda the reason for the questions. Go over board but try to do it the first time with great stuff until it's time to do it again! Lol

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that expression and now I know it's true!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Build it right the first time and have fun for a long time.

I've always had older stuff as well with a newer DD.
Bought the 04 Liberty new , thinking there wasn't much I could do to it but drive it. Well that didn't even last 20,000 miles before it had a OME lift, ARB front bumper full skids etc , then it took off from there. Now of course have the 03 building it, the 05 waiting in the wings...........but, always looking .........:happy175:

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny you say that cause I'm the exact same way. I have new ram. I drive a ton for business so I can justify the new truck. It was hard though and the wife had to talk me into getting it. Lol. I've level it and threw some nittos on it but that's it.

Now I've found myself looking for another liberty lol. My back ground has always been sb 350's or now LS engines. These libertys are just so damn fun and I was surprised that they are actually good little vehicles. I'm hooked bud. The best part is you don't see a lot badass Libby's cruising around. Not around me anyway. Different is always better in my book. I don't mind coloring in the lines as long as I drew the lines. Lol.

Now I think I have the suspension figured out, guess it's time for some functional aesthetics. What was your first purchase after doing your lift? Is there anything you would have done different since you've built so many? Im all ears bud if you feel like answering. I'm thinking bumpers( front/rear) roof rack. Skid plates sound like a good idea too. I like the look of the factory renegade light bar but I think I could something that's way stronger roof rack style and add a light bar. Kinda like one that was in the classifieds. My wheels are always turning for what do next.

He'll I like those tube doors too! Ok rant over for now. Lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's funny you say that cause I'm the exact same way. I have new ram. I drive a ton for business so I can justify the new truck. It was hard though and the wife had to talk me into getting it. Lol. I've level it and threw some nittos on it but that's it.

Now I've found myself looking for another liberty lol. My back ground has always been sb 350's or now LS engines. These libertys are just so damn fun and I was surprised that they are actually good little vehicles. I'm hooked bud. The best part is you don't see a lot badass Libby's cruising around. Not around me anyway. Different is always better in my book. I don't mind coloring in the lines as long as I drew the lines. Lol.

Now I think I have the suspension figured out, guess it's time for some functional aesthetics. What was your first purchase after doing your lift? Is there anything you would have done different since you've built so many? Im all ears bud if you feel like answering. I'm thinking bumpers( front/rear) roof rack. Skid plates sound like a good idea too. I like the look of the factory renegade light bar but I think I could something that's way stronger roof rack style and add a light bar. Kinda like one that was in the classifieds. My wheels are always turning for what do next.

He'll I like those tube doors too! Ok rant over for now. Lol

My 04 went through a lot of revisions,4 different lifts, testing, improving etc, 3 different front bumpers, different skids, different wheels, 5 different sizes of tires, 3 different roof racks, only one rear bumper
03 is just starting, one of my rear bumpers, Matrix frobt brush guard for now and other little things

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to order black lug nuts, should I just order a 1/2 x 20 acorn style lug nut for the soft 8's?

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my JBA UCA's in today!!!! Plus my terra flex bump stops and moog lower balljoints. Wheels and Lugnuts should be here in the day two.

Question is......Do i go on and install the control arms and lbj's and bump stops now since its already lifted with daystar 2.5? Or wait till i get my JBA struts in? how will I know If I need the spacer that came on the upper balljoint? I'm sure if read the directions that came with the control arms it will answer that question! lol

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my JBA UCA's in today!!!! Plus my terra flex bump stops and moog lower balljoints. Wheels and Lugnuts should be here in the day two.

Question is......Do i go on and install the control arms and lbj's and bump stops now since its already lifted with daystar 2.5? Or wait till i get my JBA struts in? how will I know If I need the spacer that came on the upper balljoint? I'm sure if read the directions that came with the control arms it will answer that question! lol

Just wait till you get all of the parts in and do it all ONCE.