Belt/Pully Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roberto Lopez

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Happy New Years. Today I have a problem. Today my wife was driving her Liberty when suddenly it started to die first the power steering, then the radio and a/c, next she started to overheat...and finally she died. She got AAA to tow her home. When I got home I was prepared for the battery or alternator to be kapoot. Well when I opened the hood and assessed the situation the first thing I see is well the belt missing. I laughed because I figured I was going to be a easy fix. So I bought a new belt and jumped the battery, she was dead after all the struggling. Turned her on and she ran for about 30 seconds.

The first 10 were really rough as if it was having issues. Next 20 seconds she ran fine...then the belt popped off. I looked at everything and spun all the pullies, one of the pullies spun or wobbled crookedly and I new I was in trouble. Now I am not sure what specific name this pully is or the function is. I know it is the one next to the tensioner and is smooth and black, no teeth or rails. I'm usually a youtube watcher and fix it if I can. I have attached a photo so that everyone can see. Please can anyone tell what pully this is. How much is going to cost to buy the part. And if its a easy fix once I get the part. Should I get a used part from a junkyard. I would gladly appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 20211230_214306.jpg
    20211230_214306.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 13

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Replace the whole tensioner, you can buy them with the tensioner, both pulleys
also make sure you get the right belt for the size of the pulleys
there are two different sizes of pulleys
Pretty easy to replace only one bolt to remove
Ive used this setup
Gates 90K-38167A Complete Serpentine Belt Drive Component Kit
80 bucks I think it was , tensioner/belt all together

I would not get one from the junkyard since it may wear out in a few miles anyways
I change mine every 70,000 miles at most and keep the old one for a backup
Have found 3 KJs over the years with same issue along the road , so 5 minutes later back on the road running with my old tensioner and belt

I hope she did not run it too long since these 3.7s do not like to be run hot

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Roberto!

It is the Idler pulley. Tommudd has the right answer. Replace the whole works.

Might be worth a spin on the other pulleys to make certain there are no other issues while you have it apart.

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
OP - I know it is the one next to the tensioner and is smooth and black, no teeth or rails.

Did not notice your year/engine. Assuming 3.7 based on the picture which looks pretty much just like the three I own.

It's the Idler Pulley. The center sealed bearing has failed. Unbolt it with the bolt in the center....15mm. Take it with you to the parts store. So you are sure they are giving you the right (sized) one. ( Ask me how I know.)

Also good time to replace the belt. Pay attention to the numbers (865). They are the length and I know for sure that AutoZone references at the top of their list a Continental belt (862) that won't ever go on. You DO NOT want the wrong size belt. (Ask me how I know.)

In a comfortable location. Should take about 15 minutes to complete the repair.
( on the side of the road in a dress shirt it *****... Ask me how I know.)

Good Luck

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OP - I know it is the one next to the tensioner and is smooth and black, no teeth or rails.

Did not notice your year/engine. Assuming 3.7 based on the picture which looks pretty much just like the three I own.

It's the Idler Pulley. The center sealed bearing has failed. Unbolt it with the bolt in the center....15mm. Take it with you to the parts store. So you are sure they are giving you the right (sized) one. ( Ask me how I know.)

Also good time to replace the belt. Pay attention to the numbers (865). They are the length and I know for sure that AutoZone references at the top of their list a Continental belt (862) that won't ever go on. You DO NOT want the wrong size belt. (Ask me how I know.)

In a comfortable location. Should take about 15 minutes to complete the repair.
( on the side of the road in a dress shirt it *****... Ask me how I know.)

Good Luck
But if pulley is bad , the tensioner is also getting weak, all need to be replaced at once
Common sense and good insurance

Latest posts

Members online