BDS Suspension's Project KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Update to those that don't use facebook
Its running great have been out on the trails doing its thing
It got a small dent the first day out
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates, Tom.

I checked out the BDS Facebook page too - some nice videos of the KJ doing some rock crawling and general trail runs. The KJ is surprising a few people - as it always does! :pepper:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well bolt came loose in the rear diff, made a small hole

Wrap it in duct tape to get it off the trail

repair it and back out to play some more

of course everyone was playing in the mud

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What TBJ stated
PLUS if the bolt would of stayed in there think what would of happened , yep gears and all more than likely since it would of been bouncing around in there.
BUT
The bolt blew out through, they removed the cover and patched it up, re-installed the bolt ( with loc-tite) and was on their way for more fun.
Which way would you of wanted it to go??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mud yesterday
today is a travel day with a stop over at Daytona Beach

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice bit of advertisement on what can be done with lots of money and a full shop. Looks really nice but doesn't do anything for Liberty owner's in the world I live in.

One of the most selfish and self-centered comments I've heard in a while. I must have missed the part where they were asking what you thought...

What the hell is wrong with the people in this forum? I've been apart of dozens of forums for over a decade and this place ranks towards the bottom and this thread kills this place for me.

Props to BDS for continuing this thread with all the ******** and bashing. They are doing something amazing and way out of the box and all you guys do is talk shit and whine about them not responding to you properly, or not building their KJ they way you would....so much disrespect...

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the most selfish and self-centered comments I've heard in a while. I must have missed the part where they were asking what you thought...

What the hell is wrong with the people in this forum? I've been apart of dozens of forums for over a decade and this place ranks towards the bottom and this thread kills this place for me.

Props to BDS for continuing this thread with all the ******** and bashing. They are doing something amazing and way out of the box and all you guys do is talk shit and whine about them not responding to you properly, or not building their KJ they way you would....so much disrespect...

Do me a favor. Use the word "all" sparingly or get out. You don't have to be here if you don't like it.

I like the build a lot, and have been following it avidly on Facebook.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This finally caught the boy's attention in his Wrangler-centric brain lol

I really like the fenders, or lacking thereof. I wonder if Mr. Darcy would mind if I took his off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This finally caught the boy's attention in his Wrangler-centric brain lol

I really like the fenders, or lacking thereof. I wonder if Mr. Darcy would mind if I took his off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn't just take the flares off they did body work to cover where they were and you can't even tell there were any on.
Just removing them without doing quite a bit of mods just looks like crap

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm back in the office after an amazingly exhausting week on the Ultimate Adventure. While I know many of you followed the coverage on our Facebook page, I wanted to back track a bit and finish up the build thread that I ran short of time on. Thanks to Tom for stopping by to take pictures and get his hands a little dirty on the final day of prep. I saw he posted some photos up to keep everyone up to speed on the project and the trip. For now here's the final installment of the build thread to get you up to speed on how the KJ sits now, we'll have future updates with event coverage and build updates as we tune it and get it closer to what we envisioned...

You must be registered for see images

It was a mad rush to the finish. 15-17 hour days in the shop as this vehicle came out of paint to be fully assembled in just 3 short days. In addition to the bolt-on items, the body panels, windshield, interior, and winch getting reinstalled, big items like front and rear bumpers still needed to be fabricated, wiring needed to be sorted out, brake lines and fuel lines routed, skid pates needed to be designed and built, and all the fluids checked before we could fire it up for the first time since its transformation from a grocery getter into a trail rig. To say there was some pressure on the crew building the KJ would be an understatement.

D-Day came along and the rig still had a long way to go. With the start of the 2013 Ultimate Adventure set for Saturday afternoon in Alabama, the guys set off to finish up the odds and ends in preparation for the Friday PM departure. While the list was dwindling down, there were still a number of things to get done. Electrical gremlins persistently popping up during the final couple days of the build as we sorted out periodic no start issues, that developed on account of the doors being removed during the buildup (security system caused no start), overhead console being unplugged (security system caused no start), headlight/taillight wiring issues, and an engine/****** combo that was stuck in limb mode. After a day full or fabrication and diagnostic, exhausted and dazed, the crew loaded up Project KJ around 11:30pm still with an unresolved engine/****** issue. Carter and Dave drove through the night with the KJ in tow to make it to the start point just in time. Once off the trailer at the start, Carter and Dave went to work diagnosing the problem, checking and rechecking wires, electrical connections, and exhausting just about every resource they could think of. Check in came and went and the vehicle passed tech inspection despite the persistent engine/****** issues. The guys worked late into the night and with the help of other UA’ers, multiple trips to the parts store without resolution. Come the next morning after a measly 2 hours of sleep, they went back to work and finally after about 2 hours of testing wires found the culprit to be a wire coming from the throttle position sensor that was grounding out. A new wire was run and the KJ immediately fired up, revved high and shifted through the gears. The guys hurried out to the first off-road park 20 minutes away and BDS’s official Ultimate Adventure was under way.

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got a ton of photos posted on our Facebook page from the Ultimate Adventure and more from other events we've attended since. We've made a few changes to the rig in an attempt to fix some shortcomings and get it dialed in. Here's a couple shots of it since completion to check out, see more on the BDS Suspension Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151502016226430.1073741855.238551361429&type=3

Ready to start the 2013 Ultimate Adventure

2013 Ultimate Adventure

Launching out of a mud hole on the 2013 Ultimate Adventure

Spooling up the little turbo diesel on the 2013 Ultimate Adventure

Loading up for Craw Mag Event at Rocks and Valleys with sister company Zone Offroad Products

Craw Mag Event at Rocks and Valleys

Craw Mag Event at Rocks and Valleys

John from Crawl Mag trying out the BDS CR KJ

Trail riding at Craw Mag Event at Rocks and Valleys with sister company Zone Offroad Products' MJ