BDS Suspension's Project KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If set up properly it would cruise at 65 with no issues
I've driven from Ohio to Florida a few times before in my Ford F150 pickup and my Dodge van on 40s 65-70 all the way , and both were used a DD's as well

A dodge van on 40s? I have to see this :van:

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We want to see this van on 40s too! On the highway speeds with 40s topic, we've had the 40'' Maxxis tires we're using for mockup up to about 85mph w/o balancing and I'll say we were blown away at how well did on road and off. The 40x13.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler DOTs we're getting for this build are a brand new tire getting released in the next week or so. We've been wanting to get our hands on a set since seeing the prototype versions in action out at KOH and on the 2-faced JK that 4WOR magazine built for UA last year. If they're everything we've heard and seen we should have no problem cruising at highway speeds for the road days of UA.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Carter,
Didn't want to mess up your thread but ..................
Built these in the late 1970s. We didn't have access to what is available today. Much different back then. These pics were from our trip to Bike Week in Daytona ,1980. I'll have to see if I can dig out some more I have. Gas was expensive back then wasn't it :happy107:
You must be registered for see images attach

This one shows my F150 as well (only on 38s in this photo) . The Olds Omega passing by gives you some idea of the height of the Van / Pickup

what a crew

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Omg tom they are awesome XD

Back on topic.
I like the tubular thing. It's nice to show how far you can go modding a KJ like the old XJ.

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great looking van, there's something about lifted vans that's just cool. Love the Quigley 4x4 rigs. And back on the topic of highway speeds on 40s, bias ply Ground Hawgs wouldn't be my first choice to try and achieve high speeds :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ground Hawgs , not the best on road tire but they would keep you awake.:icon_lol:
So much has changed over the years from tires/suspension setups etc.
Thats why its fun to watch say your build. From the way we used to do it till the way things are built today .

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This week the guys are busy working on the suspension of the Liberty. Up front, lower control arms are fabbed up and the unibody has been reinforced to mount the LCA brackets. Upper arms and track bar mount going in soon. In the rear, a triangulated 4-link has resides to improve suspension travel and eliminate the need for a rear track bar as space is limited. Fox Racing 14” remote 2.5 coilovers and 2.0 bumps are in route to the shop to install next week.

After cycling the rear suspension, its becoming apparent that much more trimming will be necessary to clear the 40” meats. It’s something we had planned on with a modest preliminary cut, but the extent to which we will need to trim and rework the fenders will be extensive so we can get the full potential out of our new suspension.

We had some comments regarding the planned location of the spare tire. It’s tough to fit the 40” rubber, but here’s what we have in mind at the moment (see photos). To keep it as low as possible to increased visibility and keep the center of gravity down, we are considering recessing it down into the floor a couple inches and trimming the tailgate to allow it to occupy the inside of the tailgate when closed. In doing so the thought is to build a fuel cell for the bed (between the rear seat and spare tire) that would accept the OEM fuel sending unit while allowing us to keep the function OEM fuel filler location.

There’s plenty going on in the shop this week as we make progress towards a Liberty based trail rig. Nearly every day we’re receiving parts for the project and hopefully she’ll be mobile in the coming week(s) with new steering, suspension, axles, t-case, and driveshafts.

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even think I could guesstimate a price tag...

We picked up this CRD for around $6K and there's been a mix of aftermarket purchases, junkyard finds and sponsored items sourced along the way. While this is a corporate build, we're an employee owned company. The biggest investment for us is the time and energy to pull a few engineers off new product development to work on it. There's been a lot of fab time involved up to this point and plenty more to come. Our engineers like the challenge of a new projects like this and it's rewarding to look at a finished project and know all the hard work that went into it. We try not to keep a tally on the build costs for fear of sticker shock at the end, it's easier that way :icon_wink:

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We picked up this CRD for around $6K and there's been a mix of aftermarket purchases, junkyard finds and sponsored items sourced along the way. While this is a corporate build, we're an employee owned company. The biggest investment for us is the time and energy to pull a few engineers off new product development to work on it. There's been a lot of fab time involved up to this point and plenty more to come. Our engineers like the challenge of a new projects like this and it's rewarding to look at a finished project and know all the hard work that went into it. We try not to keep a tally on the build costs for fear of sticker shock at the end, it's easier that way :icon_wink:

what kind of junkyard finds are we talking about